BE diaphragms question...

Coytee

Just got home from 1 1/2 long days at work.  Mind is buzzing. so I have some meandering questions.

Are BE diaphragms BE through & through (if you cut it cross section, would it be solid BE) or, are they coated on a substrate?  

(I'm supposing the answer is both depending on manufacturer??)

If you have a 'substrate' diaphragm (since I have no idea what material that might be) what difference might one expect to hear with the base substrate as a diaphragm verses if you then coat it with BE?

Do not even touch Be. Extremely toxic. Notice they ALL have a protective screen. 

Reminds me of the 70’s loudspeakers that either emmitted ozone to be a plasma tweeter or the electrostatic that had a non-sealed bag that leaked sulfur hexaflouride as an insulating gas to prevent arcing. 

Most I think are a Be coating over a normal metal. Some are pure Be. 

So, do they use a substrate when they're formed?  The deposits have to land on something?

(see what I come up with when the wife is gone and I've got time to mentally noodle around?)

Actually, I thought I once read that they were deposited on something, then the something was removed (the TAD's)

I don't know.