Can my Denon receiver power a Klipsch RC-62II center speaker?

Derekmyr

Hi all,  

I'm new to the forum and to be honest a complete green-horn when it comes to speakers.  I need some help with something I'm considering with my living room home theater setup.  I am currently using a Denon AVR-791 receiver to power a 7.1 surround sound system in my living room.  The system sounds pretty good, the FR, FL, SideR, SideL, RearR and RearL speakers are all ceiling mounted speakers that came with the house I recently purchased so I'm not sure what kind of speakers those are, but they sound fine to me so far.  For my center speaker, I'm currently using my old Denon 75W center speaker that came with my old AVR-486 receiver purchased in 2006.  It does not sound very good and so I came across someone selling a Klipsch RC-62II center speaker and I am seriously considering purchasing it to replace the center speaker I currently have.  I'm a complete idiot when it comes to speaker specs, so I'm wondering if my Denon AVR-791 will be able to power the RC-62II?

It looks like the RC-62II uses 150 RMS / 600W Peak and is 8 ohms compatible.

If I'm reading my Denon manual correctly, it looks like the AVR-791 is rated at 90W in each of its 7 channels.  So is that 90W strong enough to power the 150 RMS / 600W Peak that the Klipsch requires?  Or am I completely butchering this?   Please help.  

@Derekmyr,

Welcome to the forum.

15 minutes ago, Derekmyr said:

If I'm reading my Denon manual correctly, it looks like the AVR-791 is rated at 90W in each of its 7 channels.  So is that 90W strong enough to power the 150 RMS / 600W Peak that the Klipsch requires?  Or am I completely butchering this?   Please help.  

First, the RC-62II is a very fine center speaker and dialog and movie effects should be crystal clear.  Second, your AVR is actually spec'd at 90w/ch with 2 channels driven which equates to something like 45 to 50w/ch with 7 channels driven.  Under most conditions, you should be fine.  Start adding more speakers in a large room and listen at high volumes, then things can get a bit dicey.

Bill

59 minutes ago, willland said:

Second, your AVR is actually spec'd at 90w/ch with 2 channels driven which equates to something like 45 to 50w/ch with 7 channels driven

Fwiw, although I agree with the premise not sure you can assume the above... It's been a while since I browsed through benchmark tests but my guess is lower end avrs won't deliver that much power (45 to 50wpc/7 channels driven), while upper-end units may come close to their specs. 

Thank you both,  I'm not trying to sound smart but I have no idea what any of that means?  Everything I'm reading for the AVR-791 says that each of the 791s 7 channels are equipped with the same power amp (i.e. 90W)?  Can you explain that a little more and in your opinion am I wasting my money buying the RC-62II?  

32 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, although I agree with the premise not sure you can assume the above... It's been a while since I browsed through benchmark tests but my guess is lower end avrs won't deliver that much power (45 to 50wpc/7 channels driven), while upper-end units may come close to their specs. 

I was actually trying to be nice.:D  I originally typed 40 to 45w/ch.

Bill

18 minutes ago, Derekmyr said:

Everything I'm reading for the AVR-791 says that each of the 791s 7 channels are equipped with the same power amp (i.e. 90W)?  Can you explain that a little more

With all 7 channels driven at the same time @8ohms(20Hz to 20kHz), your AVR "may" be able to deliver 50 per channel before clipping(distortion).  Most published specs indicate with 2 channels driven at the same time.  Each channel is capable of 90w but not when all channels are driven at the same time.

23 minutes ago, Derekmyr said:

in your opinion am I wasting my money buying the RC-62II?  

Definitely not a waste of time.  Great speaker to anchor your HT system.

Bill

41 minutes ago, Derekmyr said:

Everything I'm reading for the AVR-791 says that each of the 791s 7 channels are equipped with the same power amp (i.e. 90W)? 

There is a lot more to the numbers than just what's in the specs. Power requirement for speakers isn't just about Watts per Channel, but that it delivers enough current to drive your speakers efficiently at the volume you want to listen. Depending on how loud you listen, your AVR should be okay. It definitely will be up to the point it starts to distort, or sound "too loud." In that case you may want to get another AVR because I don't believe yours supports an external amp (could be wrong. dunno).

Can you explain that a little more and in your opinion am I wasting my money buying the RC-62II?  

No. I have no experience with inwall/ceiling speakers but understand an external one will sound better...That said, it's your money and it's good to have a return policy in case you don't think it's worth it. Good luck!

@willland Back in the day when I would debate the Emotiva crowd on AVS I liked to whip up my AVR-4806's Benchmark Test. It was rated 140 WPC but only delivered 114 WPC/7 channels but 182 wpc into 2....That is when I started asking the question "how much power did I need to drive my system and would adding more help me?" Needless to say, there was as much varying opinion as their is today but the science is still the same and technology has improved. :) Happy New Year!

Btw, Here is the link and wish there were more available tests out there:https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/denon-avr-4806-receiver-12-2005-part-5.html 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:26 PM, Derekmyr said:

Like they've said, it's likely that when powering all channels at once, the amp(s) won't quite make spec.  

The power ratings of speakers don't indicate what they require but rather the upper limits of what they're capable of using.

My guess is that the Klipsch is more efficient (plays louder) than your other speakers and you'll have to balance it down in volume to match.  You'll be okay.