Jamo s809

william99740

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes I tend to trust known member's ears. How about that, 46...was just looking for that. Going to look at the Jamo S809 link for how they look with grilles.

Will not be a problem playing them as loud as you like. You may even want a good deal on a vintage or newer with only 45 watts or so. Or something newer which have a sub out but, think you are all set in the speaker department until you can listen for a little while.

Not bad at all and like the feet and wood highlights.g701S809BL-o_other2.jpg

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Not bad at all and like the feet and wood highlights.g701S809BL-o_other2.jpg

Thank you billy on for your feedback and encouragement to dig in deeper into Craiglist as I just found a deal on Klipsch rf52 that go down to 36. So I get the klipsch horn and woofers... Just what I was looking for.. and for 250.. ! Ive sent an email already as to when I can listen. I can still turn down the jamos as I haven't picked them up yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, william99740 said:

Thank you billy on for your feedback and encouragement to dig in deeper into Craiglist as I just found a deal on Klipsch rf52 that go down to 36. So I get the klipsch horn and woofers... Just what I was looking for.. and for 250.. ! Ive sent an email already as to when I can listen. I can still turn down the jamos as I haven't picked them up yet.

Cool, read they are nice also. Forgot to say earlier, you will want whatever you get to power them with, a remote control, of course.

1 hour ago, william99740 said:

I stand corrected about the rf15. They are rated by Klipsch down to 46hz. I've included the spec sheet below

I'm hoping your right about the sensitivity issue. It might not be a big deal if I don't plan on playing them loud.

So if Mopar Dave says they sound good, then that's a a good sign right?!

Screenshot_20190224-101700.png

I said the x550 I bought my son yrs ago sound fantastic. I don't know about the model your looking at.

22 hours ago, william99740 said:

Craiglist as I just found a deal on Klipsch rf52 that go down to 36. So I get the klipsch horn and woofers... Just what I was looking for.. and for 250.. ! Ive sent an email already as to when I can listen. I can still turn down the jamos as I haven't picked them up yet.

Did you score...

22 hours ago, billybob said:

Did you score...

I have nailed down a Yamaha receiver for a good deal that quotes 70 watts at 2 channel at 8 ohm. I'm thinking of swapping the rp260s on to that. The jamos are waiting at the store for pick up. I have a marantz 50 wattsx7 channels.. and I'm thinking bi amping that to the jamo should more than satisfy any power hungry issues. 

Something's getting bi amped because I just ordered a bunch more banana plugs. 

The Klipsch I found on Craigslist are still there. No response from the seller

Edited by william99740
  • Like 1

Hi, how's it going? Have you checked prices for Klipsch towers at World Wide Stereo lately? They are running a sale that ends 03/03/2019, I actually bought a couple of reference premier over Magnolia and they priced matched Word Wide Stereo prices.

Check it out ... it might fit your budget if you are still looking to buy Klisch.

On 3/1/2019 at 6:52 AM, billybob said:

LOL, was thinking Yamaha for a good deal...let us know what you end up with. Too bad the seller doesn't reply but, those Jamo could well make you happy...thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/saMny16RFBQ6a99e8

While.i could have got the Yamaha rxv385..

I picked up a marantz sr5005 for the same price. Way more power. I want to say it's 100 per channel. It has hmdi arc and so I can use the cec which was a big deal. I gotta say the set up on the thing compared to my brand new marantz 1608 was tricky... To say the least.  

So I now how the jamos set up and while sound is good... There are two things that I noticed pretty quickly..

1. There's no dynamic sound control feature like on the new one where you have to turn it up loud to here voices in movies, the boom action kicks in and is louder than hell. On the newer marantz... It tones down the sudden loud scenes to flatten out the volume a little bit. Works really well.

2. I don't know if this is the speakers and tweeters or  the decade old receiver that doesn't have the newest format decoder downmixing capabilities...but the left and right channels aren't bouncing sound around the room as much as it sounds like sound is just coming from the front.

With my rp260s and new marantz.. even though I just have front towers and a center, the surround sound mode does sound like I'm getting surround effects .

Edited by william99740

Do not know about that model but had a Marantz SR 7500 from around 2005. Mine came with the manual which was helpful for discovery of features. Used mine with the DSP but, got a lot of use using the Direct mode which uses the 2 channel fronts bypassing the processing. If no manual sure there is one online. Well, hope you are having fun discovering the sound.

3 hours ago, william99740 said:

With my rp260s and new marantz.. even though I just have front towers and a center, the surround sound mode does sound like I'm getting surround effects

Could not open photos so maybe will be able to later. Front ported so guessing you have rear of speakers near wall. Not going to jump to any conclusion about lack of a center. Read some reviews in the past on the Marantz from that period from users of that model. Maybe helpful.

Edit: Some AVR's have a Phantom mode, which could be useful...

22 hours ago, billybob said:

Could not open photos so maybe will be able to later. Front ported so guessing you have rear of speakers near wall. Not going to jump to any conclusion about lack of a center. Read some reviews in the past on the Marantz from that period from users of that model. Maybe helpful.

Edit: Some AVR's have a Phantom mode, which could be useful...

I tilted the speakers inward. Ran the room correction, then implemented dynamic volume eq and boom. I'm completely satisfied with the performance of this set up and for a third of the price from my main set up.. it sounds outstanding

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, william99740 said:

I tilted the speakers inward. Ran the room correction, then implemented dynamic volume eq and boom. I'm completely satisfied with the performance of this set up and for a third of the price from my main set up.. it sounds outstanding

LOL, glad to hear it. Marantz, what can I say. :)

• 2 months later...

Would the full Jamo S series (towers, sats, sub and Atmos up firing speakers) work with a Marantz NR1609?. Tempted to pull the trigger myself but worried I would be unable to hear anything. The other option is to upgrade to something in the SR series but I only need 5.1 plus Atmos 

• 5 months later...

Hello @william99740  I purchased the Jamo S809 speakers (walnut) online early this morning on Fry's Electronics for $248. Being delivered for free this morning to the house. I LIKE THAT PART👍. I haven't heard them yet. They will replace my Infinity 5.1 Kappa ii speakers which are 19 years old. They are powered by a Denon AVR with Klipsch subwoofer.  I hope I'm not downgrading. lol.  The Infinity' Kappa's sound great and still are praised within the audiophile community. They were fairly expensive back in their day. I think the msrp was approx $800.  Worried about missing some of the mid-range with the S809's being only 2 way. After a few months of listening to yours, whats your opinion? 

20191031_033700.jpg

Edited by Georgian Skye
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have had a chance to live with the Jamo s809's.

A recent remodel and rearrangement of the layout in our living room means that it's finally possible to upgrade from bookshelf speakers for the TV to floorstanders, but the wife will only go along if the speakers are white and not more than $500 or so. That makes it kind of a narrow field, but the Jamo s809 seem like the obvious choice.

To power them, I could keep using the Sony STRDH190 basic stereo receiver (100Wx2 @ 8ohms) that I've been using with the bookshelf speakers, or I could use my beefy Oknyo TX-NR818 (135Wx7) that I decommissioned last year from my home theater due to its lack of 4K support. The Onkyo also has Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction. Or, in the spirit of minimalism, I was flirting with idea of getting one of those little Class D stereo amplifiers off Amazon, something like so: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Amplifier-Receiver-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B076P2VS9H. My wife likes the idea of getting rid of larger components, but I don't know how those little amps would do with full size speakers in a medium sized living room, especially since my girls like to listen to some of their pop music at volume.

Anyway, any thoughts on the Jamo's are appreciated!

A little back, a newbie here was more than satisfied with the sound, quality and price.

Think your100X2 Sony would power them well.

Onkyo too of course.

Will look at the class d link later.

Welcome to the forum!