KG-4 vs Heresy

justin_tx_16

What would you get? They are equally priced on eBay auctions. I have never heard a KG-4 to my knowlege. These NS-6's are ok... but not going to last through college unfortunately. I still have ears you know LoL.

p.s., sorry for so many posts lately, i don't know what has come over me, but I just feel like asking questions again. I feel like I am 16 again hehe.9.gif

You might like the KG4s better if you are using them without a subwoofer. They go considerably lower than Heresys. And they might fit better in your dorm room. Otherwise IMHO Heresys sound much better.

You feel like 16 again? I've been stuck at 14 for nearly 40 years!

Oh yeah, to power it I have a Pioneer VSX-D511

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Images/HomeProduct2002/VSX-D511-K_big.jpg

Power

Stereo: 100 Watts x 2

Surround: 100 Watts x 5

Digital Decoding and Processing

DTS 5.1 Surround Decoding

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Decoding

Dolby Pro-Logic II Music and Movie Surround Decoding

96kHz/24-Bit Digital to Analog Conversion

5 Advanced Surround Modes

Expanded 5.1

5-Channel Stereo

Music

Movie

Virtual Surround Back

Midnight Mode

Connectivity

DVD-Audio Ready

5.1 Channel Inputs

Pre-Amplifier Out (Subwoofer)

2 Digital Inputs (1 optical/1coaxial)

Inputs - 3 Audio/3 Audio/Video

CD

CDR/TAPE

TUNER

DVD/LD

TV/SAT

VCR/DVR

Outputs - 1 Audio/1 Audio Video/1 Video

CDR/TAPE Out

VCR/DVR Out

Monitor Out

S-Video (3 Input/2 Output)

DVD/LD Input

TV/SAT Input

VCR/DVR Input

VCR/DVR Output

Monitor Output

Convenience

Front Panel Quick Set-Up w/ Jog Control

30 Preset AM/FM Digital Tuner

AM/FM Station Name Input

Auto Signal Select

Semi-Dot Matrix Display

Simple Remote

Warranty

1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Dimensions

Width: 16-9/16"

Height: 6-4/16"

Depth: 15-6/16"

Yeah, so will this work with a heresy? will this work with a KG-4? i have 30 days from today to decide if I want to keep it. So far it is great, really can pick up those radio stations! I do plan to get a sub some day, no too soon cause i am not going to use any of my saved up money for this, this is just from my paycheck, extra money basically.

let me know!

BTW, I got the D511 for $189, not too shabby! MSRP is $300 and this is brand new, the D411 I was going to get for $129 did not have S-Video.

Jim I gotta step in and disagree here. Although the heresy's do not go as low they are more speaker than the KG-4, not that I don't like the KG-4 because they are a very good speaker with a decent bottom end they just dont have the heritage horns. Justin, I cant remeber if you have any Heritage or not but once you go Heritage you will never go back. Try the Heresey's they will you will like plus they are more durable and can be refinished alot easier especially if you can find the unfinished birch. Next thing you know youll be sport'n a set of khorns.

EJ

The KG-4s are an awesome speaker...Reasonably sized with incredible bass. They sold me on Klipsch speakers in the mid 80s..and I'm still hooked.

Like I have always said...I am not an audiophile, an expert or any type of audio "know it all"....

I know what I like...and that is enough

Where talking a dorm here, SO i would get the heresys as well, only not in a dorm!

Clueless those do sound fantastic dont they, ive owned some a while back!

The heresys would realy travel, the horns.

It would be harder to listen to the heresys, than the 2 way KGs!

I think hed get complaints on the heresys, if i were in a dorm, i would just get KG 2s, for that use!

Ive heard a lot of people owning KG 4s in college dorms!

If justin had the heresys, he might also be the college audiophile, and the girls would prabably hang in the dorm with him, effecting his work LOL!

If you get the heresys, if they dont work out in college, pick up a 2 way, and keep the heresys, youll be another step ahead!

Regards Jim

Well, the Heresy's are smaller than the KG-4's and I just LOVE the sound they have. I fell in love with them, thinking they were something else at school one day, and they were on a SS amp, probably not a very nice one at that and they still sounded glorious, maybe because it was a recording of my trumpet solo and it was glorius to begin with LoL.

But, do you think that a pair of say 1974 dark walnut heresy's would sound ok with the pioneer D511 I got? i like it thus far, quite a bit really. the dts sounds terrific. i am going to try some 24/96 on it tommorrow.

Good points Jim, if I had the choice I would get the heresey's regardless of what I use them for just because they sound so great. Regardless of what happens to them or if things need replacing in the end you still have a set of heritage that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

EJ

Is no one considering the source material? Both the steady state amplification and that "noise" that pervades college campuses? The Heresies are absolutely wonderful listening to music using tubes. Do any of you have any experience listening to the serious heavy metal or rap or some of the more esoteric crap on college radio. This stuff on Heresies can kill you particularly with SS equipment. The KG-4's are far more forgiving and can handle a far greater variety of 'noise' than the Heresies can. You are forewarned Jason.

----------------

On 10/24/2002 7:11:01 AM crash827 wrote:

You are forewarned Jason.

----------------

Who's Jason? 3.gif

Mixed signals here... I am going for heresy's, always wanted heritage.

will this amp/receiver work? 96/24, DTS, DD, PLII, 100x5 @8ohm with a digital tuner (does a wonderful job too). Solid State of course, and it is a Pioneer, the D511. If it wont work, let me know asap cause i only have like 25 days left in the return policy. thanks! if not this, what else for no more than $250? If nothing for less than or equal to, hopefully not more than $200 (year right... i just need two channel).

No, I don't have preamp. Those sure sound like nice amps though. Going to go through college... think they woudl last?

my amp "overloaded" today, i was at 16 playing the radio for about 5 seconds, it goes "overload" and turns off. volume was not so high that i could not hear my phone ring. i turn it back on to hear it clipping at the same level... which is not really loud and there was no distortion. using 40watt yamaha speakers, so they were not drawing too much power from the 100 watt per channel amp.

so i guess i will get rid of the amp/receiver. clipping at moderate volumes is NOT going to work for me. oh well, about $200 richer i suppose, but now ampless. that really ticks me off...

i guess though that with more efficient speakers like the heresy's, this would not be so much of a problem?