disapointed in society

prodj101

well, my nice Trek mountain bike which I paid 350 dollars for has turned up stolen. I searched around for the theife for awhile but didn't have any luck. I just figure, no reason to be mad since theres nothing I can do about it. I could always be mad, but why be mad when it doesn't help? so, now I am on the look out for a new bike. I'll probably get one next spring after the 2003 models have gotten some reviews. I'm looking to spend 400-500 on a Giant, Trek, or Specialized. any suggestions? keep in mind my brother (who is a proffesional bike racer), can most likely get a deal on one. He gets aroound 55 percent off list price, so he can get them real cheap.

before my dad had a really good paying job, my mom used her "allowance" as a savings to save enough money to buy my dad this Specialized bike for his birthday. well she saved up enough and did it. 3 months later it was stolen out of our garage. my mom cried, my dad actually got the culprit with the water hose and (thanks to his javalin days) threw a broom stick (for painting a house, for the rollers...) and hit the guy on the back! it nearly imoblized him, nearly. he got away with the bike my mom had tried so hard to get.

two years later she buys him a thouroughbred arabian horse... oh how the times change 3.gif

lol, yeah, my bike was a b-day present. too bad horses aren't allowed to roam the streets of minneapolis, lol. once we caught a man in our garage stealing things, and me and my brother went out with our machete's and chased him off, lol. at least we got our stuff back though. he looked so scared that he coulda just tipped overr and died at the sight of 6 foot 3 guys brandishing machete's ready to decapitate him.

i read that... 6, 3 foot guys...

helI yeah, i would be scared too! LoL! 6 little people with large knives...hrmm... gonna run.

i have a few machettes as well, had to be able to get to my fort at the back of our property, let it grow one summer and you had to make a whole new trail hehe.

not too much robber in bellville, one of the reasons we moved there. crimes of the month when we bought our house were...

No. 1... 6 Pack of Miller Lite stolen from Lange's (like a 7-11)

No. 2... Pole for flag missing from front of house (the kind that actually sits in a hole on teh front of the house LoL)

No. 3... Stolen water melons meant to water cattle (haha, i know who did that one!)

Yeah, that is about it, 3 crimes a month. Pretty rough eh?

In the neighborhood i live in now there is no crime as well. we have patrols in cars and on foot 24/7 and survalence (sp) cameras in the trees. it is like living at a witness protection! our other house in the galleria area (uptown houston) has a guarded, gated, survalenced, id required intrance. if you have company, they ask for a photo id from you to make sure they don't let strangers in, and you have to sign in and sign out.... that is more like a cult! every rom of the house has a litle red button on two walls, press it and emegency personel are at your house w/ in 15 minutes (we hit it with the vacuum once... yeah, they ARE that fast). it is crazy. we only go there on the weekends and i have parties there since it is a nice house just outside down town with plenty of room for all my friends. i need to take some pics once i get the camera back from the studio. the house is georgeous. the one we live in 99% of the time, north houston, is brand new so not as classy as they were years ago.

oh yeah, i have an Aspen bike and it rocks. i went from a steel mongoose mountain bike of like 102lbs to a 3lb Aspen (weights SLIGHTLY exaggerated haha) i paid $495 for the Aspen, $325 for the mongoose, sold it for $125.

Your brother the racer should be telling you what to get. My mountain bike is a Univega. The parts are fair and the cost was right. Without the "name", I don't think it will be much of a target for theft. You can but a Univega with discs, Al frame, Fox rear shock and XTR if you want it. If you're still at risk, don't buy a "Name", buy a good bike, instead. I favor Suck Creek, myself.

http://www.suckcreek.com/bikes/custom_bikes.htm

John

OK Justin, can you give us a list of all the stuff you have? I mean...

You sound like my science teacher last year. She claimes to be really "thrifty" and kinda a eco-freak sort. I got to know her well, and here is what I learned, in approximate order:

-Drives a new Lexus RX300

-Has 2 brand new snowmobiles (eco-freak? NOPE!!!)

-They own three airplanes. A Cessna Turbo Stationair, some kit thing, and a older Cessna 172 that they were trying to sell.

-They are into good HT. (Atlantic Tech Sys 450, 65" Mitsubishi, Denon 48??, etc.)

-I saw her at Good Guys in her new Porsche 911 TURBO!!! $150,000...

Basically, her husband "grows" (not weed, just sucess) money at work and they buy whatever they want.

Some people...

lol, good idea, maybe I can get a specialized and strip the stickers eh? this is really a problem because I use my bike almost daily and bike a good distance daily. not just down a block to the friends house. it's more like 4 miles for me. I asked my brother, and he says the Giant's are really good this year, and at pretty good cost. I was just looking for more of a second opinion.

Geta cheap Huffy or something, it'll get you around. Besides there are no mountains in Minnesota.

I'm constantly amazed at the way people today "get into" things instead of just doing them. People don't ride bicycles they "get into" bicycles and have to get some trendy bike and even change clothes to ride their bike, put their biking togs on. Whadda riot.

People who want no part of physical labor for a living pay to do physical labor in a health club and then when they get home use an automatic garage door opener because they're too damn lazy to get off their dead *** and lift the thing.

People don't play golf or tennis, they "work on their game". Like anybody cares. All this serious Puritan earnestness about what should be fun makes me want to vomit.

Sorry they stole your bike Pro but whaddaya gonna do? (shrugging)

TBrannon said:

People don't play golf or tennis, they "work on their game". Like anybody cares. All this serious Puritan earnestness about what should be fun makes me want to vomit.

Hey, everybody seems to have thier favorite hobby. I would imagine those same folks that "work on their game" think we are some anal-retentive audiophiles with our expensive speakers and such, while they go home after there tennis/golf games and listen to their Bose systems.

I'll also admit that I am often considered a "professional skiier" in that I am on the ski patrol, and like Prod's brother w/ biking, I can get some serious discounts on skiing equipment/gear. For example, just last season, I got a brand new $1000 plus pair of Volkl skis and only paid $500 for them (and they are some friggan nice skis - I have not been able to carve turns before like I can now with these things!) Now, I am in need of a new pair of boots. The pair I currently have are getting pretty beatup (had them for over 7 seasons). I am not a "competitive" skiier, although that may change. I may join the local racing circuit there at the mountain where I patrol (Massanutten). Skiing is one of my passions. However, I'll admit that there are some guys on the patrol that are more into it than even I am (and some do compete in races and such).

I guess that my point is that people have thier favorite hobbies/sports and some do take it to extremes, just like there are those of us on here that take our audio hobby to the extremes (within our budgets) and those people that like to dress up thier cars and show them off.

Steven--Never understood that skiing thing except as a means of local transportation for Norwegians and such. Why would anyone wanna go outside in the Winter if they didn't have to?

Working outside on the iron a couple of hundred feet up in the air during bitter Illinois winters with winds whipping across The Prairie or off Lake Michigan gives one a different viewpoint I reckon. In my free time I stay inside and warm. I hate winter, when I retire I'm moving to Vegas or Florida and hope never to see snow or my own breath again.

Lots of folks up in Wisconsin dig snowmobileing but they're drunk all the time, riding from tavern to tavern (and in Wisconsin you're never far from a tavern), TT races they call it. :-) And they're all drunk at Lambeau Field and Camp Randall too. Wisconsinites are inured to hardship, I admire the Badger sons of b*****s.

Your point about obsessions is taken.

skiing is fun, go try it. also, go buy a Trek, Specialized, or Giant or something comporable. Than you'll see why I like them. They're just like buying Klipsch instead of KLH, sure, KLH make sound, but is it sound you like? it's the same for bikes. A good bike is just more fun to use than a cheap peice that will fall apart in a month anyway. I have gotten cheap bikes and had derailer problems, rust outs, and the likes.

TB: I don't envy construction jobs. It is SO much work (you know that of course!) In Reno, Mexicans make up about 99.99% of the construction work force, and I feel sorry for them when it is 110 degrees and they are taring a roof. I am glad my career path goes hand and hand with AC, ahhhh, AC...

I agree, if its cold, I'll stay inside thank you!!!

TBrannon said:

Steven--Never understood that skiing thing except as a means of local transportation for Norwegians and such. Why would anyone wanna go outside in the Winter if they didn't have to?

Dude, you have obviously never tried skiing! It has got to be one of greatest rushes I have ever had! Nothing like carving turns down a freshly groomed slope in the morning! Having been doing it for the past 20 plus years certainly helps also 10.gif. Not to mention the views from the summit of the ski mountain! As for the cold, if you have the proper gear, you can stay out in the cold and still be comfortable. I know what extreme cold is like. I have lived 11 years in Wisconsin myself and another 12 years in Northwestern PA.

As to why I like to go outside, even in the winter is because I just don't like sitting around the house all day watching the stupid TV. I sit around all day at work in front of the computer as is (you know, that software engineering thing that I do). I have always loved the outdoors and enjoy being outside when I can get the chance - summer, winter, fall, or spring. What I do outside is varied! The skiing is only one thing. I love to hike, paddle, raft the river. Camping. Heck sometimes the it is simply going to the amusement parks to ride the coasters, of which I am also an aficiando of, as evidenced by the 8th picture down at this link, which was taken during the "Pheonix Phall Phunfest" at an amusement park in Pennsylvania. If you think people who are obssesed with golfing and such are nuts, you have not seen anything yet! Check the other pictures out on that site!

You know, when I was younger, working the big iron was one of the things that I have wanted to do when I "grow up". How I used to spend long hours playing with Legos, "Girder and Panel" sets, or Erector sets. The allure of video games and computers in general proved to be a stronger pull in the long run, thus my "cushy" job as a software engineer.

Well, to each its own - 2.gif

Whenever I get the urge to ski or play golf, I go sit down until it goes away9.gif

However, I can play golf, so long as the shaft on said clubs are flexible - the better to wrap it around said tree trunk.

I played golf in high school (made varsity too). Once I graduated (no more free rounds) I discovered that a round of golf costs more than the average Grateful Dead ticket. Guess which I have bought more of.....

I have as much use for skis and golf clubs as I do Bose11.gif

......but I'm willing to bet that most of you don't like dancing amongst a bunch of patchouli scented hippies either, so I guess that makes us even6.gif