Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

timerr

sunnysal,

As for the time corrected version. I do not believe that version was released while Miles was still on the planet. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Miles was very particular about anything that was released under his name. The original version of the LP is what "he" and Teo wanted released. I can only imagine what he might say about these "time corrected" versions.

I am however, very elated to hear so many enjoy Miles and "Kind of Blue", whatever version they may have. I also wish all will one day get to hear this wonderful music on an early or very good vinyl release, on a good turntable setup. It's one of the best arguments for owning vinyl and a turntable I know of.

Klipsch out.

I have to agree with Jazman. I really want to find this on vinyl though but to be honest, I have not looked very hard.

Even while listening to the crappy CD I have, this music just takes me to another place. Whenever I am in the mood to just relax and enjoy a glass of wine, this is what I listen to. I would be curious if there are other albums out there that can take me to the same place? Anyone want to mention them here? I'm new to Jazz and am willing to try new material...

Mike

Mike, glad to hear you wanting to give this stuff a listen. I have to laugh a bit on recent events. Ironically, I tend to be alienating the old guard that used to align with me and coming to terms with the ones that blindly disagreed! heh... Perhaps, some balance will be coming! We seem to be at odds a lot lately.

But as for albums to enjoy that I think you might like after some repeated listening, here is a quick list. One thing you have to remember, sometimes it takes more than a few listens to like some of this material, especially if not familiar with it. You have to give it longer term exposure in many cases.

On second thought, I am going to make a post with its own title of some great recordings for the new to jazz to have. Give me a bit. This kind of exchange shouldnt be buried where the search engine will NEVER find it!

kh

Kelly,

I don't feel like I have been at odds with you at all. Although, I have been sticking up for Al's networks quite a bit lately. 1.gif I'm telling ya, you will have to come down here and listen to them with the Altec 511B's. I think you would be quite impressed. I'm not saying there aren't better networks out there, but these are certainly better than the ones I have listened to.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Jazz list. I have gone to Allan's website and looked at his top 100 list but am really looking for a Jazz starters kit, if you will...

Mike

Klipsch heads,

Ponder this --- When was KOB recorded? ... about 50 years ago!!! Think of the degradation of the master tape --- Oxidation, possible poor storage & handling, environmental effects, etc.

I have heard several versions (I own the SACD & the gold, boxed Sony SBM version) & the CD versions sound OK. SACD - a little better. The older vinyl sounds best.

Some of the loonies in my Audio Club have seriously listened to all CD versions & concluded all versions were diiferent, depending on the re-mastering engineer. I believe they liked the 20 bit version best.

Just become something old is remastered doesn't mean it's better.

My $0.02,

Pete

6.gif

Pete, are you actually saying your friends preferred the Sony 20 bit version of KOB the best??? I find this utterly amazing. In my view, it is one of the worst jazz cd's I own in comparison to the vinyl. I ACTUALLY prefer a Nakamich CR-7a cassette tape version of the vinyl WAY WAY over this Columbia/Sony SBM 20-bit remaster.

Are we talking the same CD here?

kh

Mobile,

To summarize my previous post, the KOB best sonics can be achieved by (1 - best; 5 -worst)

1) Various vinyl issues

2) SACD

3) Older Columbia CD Release (I believe it was 20 bit - could be wrong)

4) Sony / Columbia "Gold" SBM CD release

5) Newest CD "re-mastering" using the latest & greatest technology.

Sorry for the confusion. My main point was that the "original master tapes" from yesteryear may not be in optimum condition for re-releasing "classics" even if they are recorded onto SACD. The master tapes may have severly degraded over time.

Pete

----------------

On 10/25/2002 12:30:25 PM Mike Lindsey wrote:

I must admit, if you can get past the hiss during the quiet passages, the Sony recording is quite good (especially the sax and trumpet). With the Scott, I can play it mono (the way it was recorded) or in stereo, and I much prefer it in mono...

----------------

Ah I need to try this on my Fisher. I can switch between stereo and mono on the 500B. It will be interesting to see the difference.

Laters,

I have the "Kind of Blue" version you are referring to, and I also bought the SACD version the other day. The SACD version has ZERO hiss and is so incredible to listen to it "KIND of FREAKED ME OUT." Seriously, it's the only SACD I own so far, and I was not expecting this level of clarity. I'm no snobby audiophile, but I've been involved in audio since 1975. SACD is interestingly beautiful, particularly through KLIPSCH...

No snobby audiophile? Could it be reverse snobbery at work here? heh...

As for the SACD with no hiss, I havent heard it. That is troubling to me a bit since almost all the vinyl reproductions I have heard have a measure of this tape hiss to some degree. If the SACD DID get rid of it, it is by some sort of filtering which is a bit problematic on its own. I'll try to hear a copy if I can.

The SACD of "Kind of Blue" *does* have hiss. Maybe Troy meant it doesn't have a *lot* of hiss. But it's present and it's good hiss--the hiss from playing a tape, not the hiss from playing a multi-gen tape. There's no filtering going on, Mobile.

I've noticed that a fair number of people are close-minded about SACD, and that a lot of times it's vinyl fans that don't want to give it a chance. SACD and vinyl can co-exist; Sony isn't confiscating old LPs quite yet. I'm not going to twist anyone's arm to listen to SACD; if you don't want to try it, out of loyalty to the LP, it's no loss to me.

Yesterday I bought 22 near mint classical LPs for 79 cents each at Volunteers of America. I've got nothing against records.