Scott 299 ( tweaked by Craig )..any takers??

DANOCASTER

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the nudge Mike. Yes, I had intended to use the Scott with my turntable and probably a pair of Heresy's. I just didn't realize there was such a short time limit involved.

BTW, the Grado Prestige Gold sounds really good with my table. No hmmmmm........

Keith

Hey Mobile,

I've got a late 299a that you or one of the forum members can have for 150.00 if interested.All coupling caps and selenium rectifier have been replaced,and it is excellent cosmetically.I bought it from the original owner,and it comes with the original bill of sale,template for cabinet mounting,owners manual,and product brochure for 1959.Tubes are excellent,japanese 7189output.

Here's the rub.I played this amp after a year in storage,and the left channel has some distortion.I suspect it's the 100ohm trim pot for the left channel,as it seems to respond to screwing around with it.I don't have the inclination to jack with it,and I'm sure it's a 10.00 fix .

You've got first shot if you want it,and if not ,it's open to the first forum member that wants it.It's really a beaut.

Also,Jim Mc Shane is almost through with the Citation II.I'll try to get it to you somehow so you can give a listen.

Best,

Pat

Hey Craig,

Did you get a chance to get the coupling cap values on a 222c? I can't read the schematic on the Scott web site .I'm hoping they're .1 mfd,as I just received a set of Jensen PIO in this value,based on my other Scotts.

This puppy has giant transformers(judging from the Ebay photos),even compared to a 299b.Should be very interesting.

Best,

Pat

Yup the 4 from the Phase Splitters to the outputs are .1 MFD . I thought I replied to this before but anyway your on the right track. The transformer are huge of the 222C and D and LK48A/B and 299C/D. Let me know what you think of it when you get it all up to snuff. I have a nice little schematic to add full bias control for this amp if your interested. (MDeneen drew it up last year).

Craig

Hey Pat, I am interested in at least hearing this unit so if it takes me buying it first, I might do it. I dont have much room here at all and have amps piling up but I have been wanting to audition the Scott 299 (and of course, the famed Citation II which I am very eager to compare). What caps did you put in the unit? Yes, I am interested.

kh

Kelly, I would like to buy this amp if you don't really want to shell out the money right now, and I would be open to having it shipped directly to you so you can give it a listen and eval. At that point, if Craig is willing -- I would like you to send it to him to have whatever addtional work performed deemed necessary. I would only ask that you split shipping with me.

Guys,

Why don't I send this amp to Craig,let him correct the problem,.then whoever decides to buy it can send me a check.This is assuming that Craig is willing to work on it and ship it forward to the purchaser.Let me know.

The owners manual is included,so maybe someone can make copies for those who own this amp and need one.It's a typewritten affair with a schematic included.

Best,

Pat

Craig, You are an amazingly unselfish friend to a lot of folks, here. You're going to have to start charging for your services (maybe AFTER I send you my 500c...hint, hint).

A few weeks ago, Mark put my Fisher 500c on his scope. I was hoping one of those kit upgrades might be what it needed to finally bring the tube experience to my Cornwalls. This, apparently, is not all it needs. In its as-found condition, Mark surmised it needed much more: possibly complete re-tubing, changing stiff pots, etc. He's such a great guy, I was secretly hoping he'd want to take it on, but his current situation (big move, "reevaluating" his own gear) didn't even allow that as a far-flung fantasy. I don't think it is as bad as he made it seem, but my perpective is superficial: Cosmetically, it's great. No rusty transformers, etc. With it came every piece of Fisher literature available when it was new. Price lists, schematics, Fisher Handbook, etc. This 500c, to my novice eyes, seems worthy of an upgrade. Mark thought I should send it to one of those high-dollar Fisher experts, or just sell it as-is, but I'd really like to try tubes. Unfortunately, my financial situation doesn't allow me to put $400 into this. How much are Ipods?

fini

Yes, a much better idea. Send it to Craig first. I will gladly pay for any parts. I prefer to pay for the best parts available. Mind as well do it right.

Pat, I sent you email with some questions.

Need Kelly's input here too. He had first dibs on it, and we have been emailing each other about it. I imagine it will go to Kelly, who will then let the Eico spank it before sending it back to me.:)

I'm also looking for an Eico. Since I'm the only truly objective person on the forum2.gif, I will make the final decision on which sounds best. This will forever settle the argument. Oh, if it were only that easy!!

I'm game for whatever, as long as it brings us all closer together as a community!

Interesting stuff here. http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/

Of course, the 299A is not the 299C, so the pentode to triode mod might not yield the same results. Looks like power is effectively cut in half. So, with the 299A, you would end up with about 7 watts of triode. What do you think Craig, send Kelly 7 watts of Scott triode to compare to the Eico's 14 pentode watts. I guess that would be cheating:)

Incidently, I am not interested in turning this thread into a eico/scott debate. It's all ear candy to me, and I just want to experience the differences for myself.

Damn, last month the Eicos were everywhere -- now they're no-where. There is one on ebay right now. Kind of crusty looking and the clown can't verify that it really works. Buy hey!! Them tubes light up, so it must be O.K.!!