New addict with some different questions and observations.

So a few months ago i had no klipsch speakers - now I have 2 pairs of KG4's and a pair of Forte I's and new HT klipsch fronts.(though i just put the un-upgraded kg4s up front now lol.

* Question 1: Can you tell if a tweeter has a crites upgrade from the outside without removing it ?

* Question 2:  Whats the easiest route (which component to remove) to check to  peek and see if crossover has been upgraded?

My setup is like this I believe-

* KG4 - oiled walnut - has both tweeter and crossover upgraded according to previous owner

* KG4 - Blonde Oak ?  - unknown upgrade status (my belief is that it has not been)

* Forte I - oiled walnut - unknown upgrade status (my belief is that it has not been) which leads to my observations.

* system 1 - nagaoka mp150 -> technics 1700mk2 -> grant fidelity tube buffer -> anthem receiver (being replaced with musical paradise tube amp soon)

* system 2 - soundsmith carmen -> vpi prime -> rogue audio cronus magnum

-- I got the Forte's last and expected to be somewhat impressed over my KG4s - but I wasn't - The crites upgraded KG4's really grab your attention with their clarity but cannot be toed in much at all as that 'brightness edge' shows up.  The forte's i have been experimenting with and are currently pointed at the listening seat and are not harsh in the least but do not have that attention grabbing realism of the upgraded KG4.

* Question/Observation 3 - Is it the Crites tweeter upgrade that adds the clarity /realism that grabs you?

* Question 4 - aside from just replacing old /bad caps - how does upgrading the crossovers generally affect the sound ?

ok- if you made it this far ... thanks for reading.  if you have any anwers - i appreciate those too.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, _rod_serling_ said:

got the Forte's last and expected to be somewhat impressed over my KG4s - but I wasn't - The crites upgraded KG4's really grab your attention with their clarity

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum ... haha; even though you only have 7 Klipsch speakers :D 

You can usually "tell" if you have the Ti diaphragms ... as in your KG4's.  Same experience with Forte's (V1).  Got them about a year ago and thought they sounded dull/horrible.  Upgraded the diaphragms and they were much better :)  Still not a big fan of Forte's ... sold them a couple of months ago; replaced them with CF-3's ... much better. :D 

OK; next try some "pro" speakers. IMO they are in a different league.

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, _rod_serling_ said:

Can you tell if a tweeter has a crites upgrade from the outside without removing it ?

Yes, Crites tweeters will be aluminum/metal in color. The originals are black.

With KG 5.5s and a Heresy II pair I could see the difference by removing the cloth grille and looking down the horn. KG 4s should show just as easily.

1 hour ago, _rod_serling_ said:

Whats the easiest route (which component to remove) to check to  peek and see if crossover has been upgraded?

With KG 4s, removing the passive woofer on the back should give you a decent look at the crossover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum ... haha; even though you only have 7 Klipsch speakers :D 

You can usually "tell" if you have the Ti diaphragms ... as in your KG4's.  Same experience with Forte's (V1).  Got them about a year ago and thought they sounded dull/horrible.  Upgraded the diaphragms and they were much better :)  Still not a big fan of Forte's ... sold them a couple of months ago; replaced them with CF-3's ... much better. :D 

OK; next try some "pro" speakers. IMO they are in a different league.

Cheers, Emile

ok well i will at least try the upgraded diaphragms on the forte's - i would like to see how they sound elevated with  an upgraded tweeter- i do like my upgraded kg4's.

i have not seen cf-3's around here yet.  how would contrast them to the forte's ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

Yes, Crites tweeters will be aluminum/metal in color. The originals are black.

With KG 5.5s and a Heresy II pair I could see the difference by removing the cloth grille and looking down the horn. KG 4s should show just as easily.

With KG 4s, removing the passive woofer on the back should give you a decent look at the crossover.

I examined the tweeters for all 3 sets of speakers.  All 3 have some kind of silver center circle.  The one set of kg4's that i know for sure are upgraded have a flat silver surround circle around the center circle.  the other 2 pairs of speakers have a deep reddish/orangeish/brownish circle surround.- is that the original phenolic? material .

yes your observations are correct. If you see smooth black shiny circles then someone has installed a set of the poly tweeter diaphragms used in the Legend series (KLF) you would definitely want to change those out for a set of phenolic or better yet the Crites titanium diaphragms.

R Serling: I am not sure why you are so focused on "upgrading".

Is there something about the sound you do not like or find lacking?

If truth be told, there is very little energy coming from the tweeter and the stock tweeters are not bad. I would spend my efforts elsewhere. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

50 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

R Serling: I am not sure why you are so focused on "upgrading".

Is there something about the sound you do not like or find lacking?

If truth be told, there is very little energy coming from the tweeter and the stock tweeters are not bad. I would spend my efforts elsewhere. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

the difference between my crites upgraded kg4's and non upgraded forte I's is striking.  and i mean all in the treble area - piano key strikes, harmonics , decay....

28 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The stock phenolic diaphragm, shown below, is almost black.  The second photo shows the silver Crites titanium diaphragm visible from the outside.

-ok - then it looks like one set of kg4's and the fortes are not upgraded.  all have small silver circles in the center - but the 2 non-upgraded ones have that dark color bordering around the center small circle . and not the flat silver of the upgraded kg4's