MMF-7 Turntable recommendation - Underwoodwally

mobile homeless

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mobile, thanks for sticking up for us MMF7 tinkerers. I can't wait for one to come back that I can actually test drive. The table looks beautiful and well thought out; too bad the QC guys were on break when mine fell off the production line :)

Craig should have the Eico done this weekend, the donut should be in late this week, the TT should arrive next week, and I just found a slab of slate in the backyard that could benefit by a set of blue balls ...

I think Carrie's going to flip when I haul that thing in. All she's going to see is the image of crushed babies.

Jeez.

Chris, I think that air bladder base might be the ultimate solution here, even over the marble and ball fix. Regardless, go with it and see how it does. The air bladder is coming to C&S as well so he can compare. The differences will probably be there, but might be subtle and involve relaxed listening. I think it's worth the cost of $80 or so if it does pan out. The commercial versions of the same thing are $$$.

kh

The marble slab and blueballs works great and it makes me realize how fine the MMF-7 is. The point is that Musica Hall has found a way to make a very affordable unit that reaches into the performance of way more expensive contemporary units . I agree with Chris, I think they look really nice and appear to be made very well, but yes it is contemporary not some vintage polished brass steam engine overbuilt to last twenty times longer than its relevance.

Since I have two other turntables and the Rega Planet all on the same libray table {with preamps and amps on the shelf directly above} I will probably experiment with other suspension systems for each one. I will report on that Isolation Box when it arrives, and I might make another trip to the marble supplier to check the scrap heap again. Yes the furniture cups are what you put under the feet of chairs or couches etc. They are made of a type of hard rubber stuff and I chose the ones that looked like they would be about the right size for the hand balls.

I also put a very thin piece of that spongy protective wrapping (not bubble wrap, (but that other white stuff that is sometimes used to protect things in shipping -- don't know what it is called)...I put a small circle of this under the motor base which sits on the marble, just to add even further absorption of anything that might still be transmitted through the motor base to the marble. I also cut little small pieces from a wide "brocoli" rubber band, and put these under the three points of the TT feet so that the pointed feet would not be in totally direct hard contact with the marble. These were very small tweaks, and are done to be hardly visible at all.

I cannot see playing really trashed LPs on the MMF-7, so I will use the Technics for this purpose. This brings up the question: is playing really damaged LP grooves hard on the stylus or cartridge?

It does come up that I need to play bad or damaged recordings (better than nothing), eg. a really rare Egrem brought back from Cuba of some very early Chuco Valdes on which he plays his very hip first recorded "Mambo Influenciado" a tune which I do with my band. Unfortunately the LP has some damaged surface, and until I can obtain a better copy, this is the only access I have to these arrangements.

Sometimes really great music is not (yet) available in reissue, especially those amazingly creative 20+ years worth of Cuban Jazz which barely filtered up to the US at all in any form. Hopefully someday I will find a better copy of this rare record or it will be reissued.

Sure we get to hear some of Chucho today, but some of these early rare recordings are very revealling. It feels a little weird to be playing these through my new Eroica ho/mc cartridge...ouch. I can still experience the music through these imperfections, since in this situation it IS about the music, and the musical information, not the savoring of the sonics. If I had a choice I would be playing a better copy, but unti then....it's......

-c7s

C & S-

I only have a handful of old Latin jazz LPs. I know I have one early one from Chucho Valdes, a trio session--on the LP's jacket he's standing up, maybe leaning against a wall and I remmeber that he's wearing BIG FLARED bell-bottom jeans. I'm guessing this is an early 70's release? Is this one fairly representative of his early stuff? I've heard him live a couple of times in the last 3 years and enjoyed his performances quite a bit. I have a couple of his recent CDs and rarely listen--he was much more engaging live for me. I think I'll pull out the old LP and give it a spin. If I rememeber, it's in visually great condition but plays like crap.

The LP I have here is called "Descarga/ Jesus Valdes & combo" vol. 2 on Egrem LD-3163. It has the look of the 60s, but that is hard for me to guage because the covers age differently in that Cuban climate. The cover has really nice art work (ala DSM), and in fact many collectors prize these for the covers. This is more than trio, and in fact has some amazing guitar solos as well, there are horns as well, trumpet and trombone in addition to full rhythms section. There are lots of descargas which are Cuban jam sessions, and as such this is a highly desirable recording. I have another here which is called Chucho Valdes "Piano 1". Both have versions of "Mambo Influenciado". Chucho has always recorded a very wide range of styles from traditional Cuban forms to almost "free jazz" and everything in between. His early recording are just one little portion of an amazing era a Cuban Jazz. There are many many very desirable rare LPs from this obscure era, with almost none in reissue.

What are some of the tunes on your LP? What label? Title of LP? That would be the best way for me to check it out, I probably have it here somewhere. Sometimes the material may have been reissued under different covers. With many of the big Cuban stars, I prefer the earliest examples. Mostly I listen to older traditional Cuban recordings and the 50s material, some of which is the kind of thing that Dizzy was nuts over. A good reissue is a CD called "The Original Mambo Kings", this would be a great introdution to the roots of Afro Cuban jazz (Cubop etc.). It has some of the most definitive early things in this style including early Machito with Bird etc. and other more rare examples.

There is something about the very early recordings which are really special and different than his later style. Because he is has such a currently acclaimed career, and has recorded so much, these pre Irakere LPs are very rare and not soon to be reissued and pretty much have to be found in Cuba and even over there they are rare especially in good shape. The stuff I am talking about is on Egrem (Areito) and would only have been pressed in Cuba.

Speaking of Latin Jazz not necessarily Cuban, many here who do not already know, might enjoy the Tjader/Palmieri collaborations, one originally on Verve called "El Sonido Nuevo", and also Tjader's entire career for that matter -- very accessible. Another artist I like is Clare Fischer, especially his early LPs on Discovery. He is a very underrated musician's musician. {Salsa Picante}. High quality recordings also available on CD. He lives in LA, and I once visited him at home. In the 50s he arranged for many including the Hi-Los! Great stuff.

c7s

I know Clare Fisher. I have quite a few of his 50's and 60's LPs and have always admired him both as a pianist and composer/arranger. He made a big-band record on Atlantic in the late 60's that's a KILLER--don't know the name of it off hand, but every player on the record is "first call" all the way.