MMF-7 Turntable recommendation - Underwoodwally

mobile homeless

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. here is it in a nutshell:

1. Copy link from address window

2. Write out the following. Replace "#" with "<" and "@" with ">" (I had to turn them around so they wouldnt cause a link to form).

Insert link within the inner quotations.

#a href="insert your link here"@name of link here#/a@

Put in post. That's it.

kh

ps- So you ended up with the marble slab on top of the balls right?

Thanks for the linking technique,

Yeah, the slab on top of the handballs works great and looks slick. The handballs are gas filled (air?) and when you get about 40#s (slab+TT) on top of them, they apparently provide really good absorption of vibration. The handballs fit neatly into those rubber-like furniture cups which I presume adds yet more absorption and keeps the balls from rolling around. I think I am really starting to understand "soundstage" with the TT now.

What is and where do you get a guage for measuring the tracking weight of the arm/cart/stylus. Recommendations welcome (forgive if you already mentioned this, maybe I need to go back and re-read the details of your previous post again). Also how does one find out the exact impedance for a given cartridge. From what I understand it wouldn't hurt to tweak preamp to match this at the phono input. I think most MM carts are about 47K ?, but the HO/MC may be different and matching the phono in may be a good thing.

-c7s

The gauged is called the Shure SFG-2 Stylus Pressure Gauge. It is available at a number of places so look around online. To see a quick pic and description, try this link for the $20 version at

Shure SFG-2 Stylus Pressure Gauge at AA

The setting for the Eroica should be in the literature. I read that optimum gain for the Eroica H is about 43dB. It should work in most MM stages but the specified capacitance load for the H = 47K. Some have said that 100 ohm is smoother but not as dynamic. I would start at 47k ohm.

Look at your Paragon literature for how it is set via that model.

kh

"Ok.  here is it in a nutshell:

1. Copy link from address window

2. Write out the following.  REplace the two outside > and < with their opposites "< and >".

Insert link within the inner quotations which you leave there.

>a href="insert your link here">name of link here<

That's it.  "

totally confusing, remember I am not a web designer. For all I know "REplace" has some special meaning and is NOT a typo? see what I mean. Explain this to a man from another planet, thanks.

Can you please try explaining this some other way so that there can be no mistake about it.

You say " write out the following:

REplace the two outside > and < with their opposites "< and >".

Insert link within the inner quotations which you leave there.

>a href="insert your link here">name of link here<

I didn't want to get involved but I decided I'd jump in here and defend my $250 "direct drive/cast metal platter/rubber mat table" with the $119 Grado Prestige Gold cartridge that sits on a welded metal stand that is spiked to concrete that took a couple hours to set up and tweak that sounds great.

I just wanted to listen to some music.

Keith

Keith, I bet that Donut mat would actually make a nice difference with that table and it's only 22-28 depending on which version. I found a good mat madee a BIG difference when I owned a Direct drive table (I had a Yamaha YP-D6 with AQ mat and Blue Point in my second system - same table I had a Signet on in the 70s).

kh

http://www.high-endaudio.com/'>name of link here

ok, is kh a teacher or not, lets submit and see if this works.

c7s

OK, it worked sort of, I think I get it now:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/'>Caddy Shack Gopher Sponge Bob Cake Salvatore Rap<

how did that happen, now everything in the universe is linked to it......................<

how do you keep everything from being linked?<

Clipped, while I wait for my new MMF7 to be shipped by Wally, I've enjoyed the posts you've put here about your experimentation. Helpful to me, for sure.

Question ... can you go into a little more explanation about those furniture cups? Are you talking about those little round rubber jobbies that you put under furniture feet to keep them from sliding around?

Clipped... You must have forgotten the end of the tag. I figured out why I do this! Basically so I can read something like that Arthur Salvafroot rant or your trashing of a rec from lack of patience or experimentation. How about the passive-aggressive posts? Heh... In other words, it makes no sense why I do this at all...

Well, you are endearing in a sort of Venus Flytrap way. Ole Clipped...

Here is a .txt file to download and save on your machine. You can copy, paste it in here, and insert your link and description. OR you can memorize it. Your choice.

Hot Link Post Cheat Sheet .txt file - Right click here to SAVE TARGET AS

kh

ps-Do you realize HOW HARD IT IS TO EXPLAIN CODE when you WRITE it, it disappears within the post???? Those instructions in that post above would work if followed exactly. You cant leave out any piece or it will not work correctly.

Jesus, Allan. Why cant you remain on the high ground? That was neither witty, inspired, nor accurate. If in English 101, I would give you an F for all the above! Heh...

Yeah, that post of Clipped was really unnecessary and over the top, if not baiting, something I find existing in a good portion. So was the pasting of that Arthur Salvatore text, as it has been controversial and a bit over the top since his Recommended Components came out. You have to get used to Clipped and have the patience of JOB.

Frankly, I think your assessment of the MMF-7 is not warranted at all. This table looks to be well-made and has not gotten any bad press from the users online, the Vinyl Asylum, or any of the mags or online publications. Yeah, I know what you might say about the audio press and I agree with a lot of it. On the other hand, this tables doesn't deserve your angst. Personally, you have a better chance of this table working well than an unknown old Linn, AR, Thorens, etc. The tonearm bearings are new and the condition of the main bearing is new as well. The tonearm has gotten good comments elsewhere and probably sounds a hell of a lot better than the average 35 yr old SME. This is the top model arm and not the same on the MMF-5. Nor is the motor, chassis, or platter. The outboard motor seem solid and the plinth is not too hard to foul up.

Why the lambasting when you don't know this table? So far, everything I have read online and in the press gives it high marks. While the audio press is circumspect much of the time, usually a sub-par build comes out. Give it a rest here.

kh

ps- Speaking of turntables, where is that Grand Encounter? Man, I am all fired up!

God bless the Czech republic indeed - I think that that is where my TT was made (Pro-ject)...or is that where my tubes were made (Tesla)?

Anyway one or the other and if not either both or neither.

Clear?

Good!

Anyone know how the Czech national anthem goes???