MMF-7 Turntable recommendation - Underwoodwally

mobile homeless

The only reason I was talking about using thick rubber mats and isolating ringing was in

1. poor direct drive tables with the motor ATTACHED to the platter. These almost ALWAYS have METAL platters that RING. Plus with a motor ATTACHED TO THE METAL PLATTER you get the motor resonance PLUS the platter properties...a BAD THING. In this instance, the donut or even the traditional AQ rubber mat work some help

2. People started making acrylic platters for several reasons. They are cheaper to make and form and with excellent cutting can be amazingly accurate. They ALSO best mimic the properties of the VINYL RECORD. Ultimately, many believe that a you want the platter to disappear with no properties of its own. Many theorize that using the Acylic and clamping the record directly to it, best mimics this. The record and the platter become one. Also, there is certainly not a lot of RING and resonance in the traditional sense with an acrylic platter.

There are many theories working here. But the double mat idea pretty much contradicts most, even if using on a cheap mid-fi direct drive deck where I think it might be too much of a good thing besides A. Adding a lot more weight for the belt drive to spin B. GREATLY increasing the height of the record which would be TERRIBLE for 99.9% of the mid-fi tables that have NO VTA adjustability.

Still, many do not LIKE acrylic platters for various reasons. Linn put much of its development in their amazing two-piece platter and bearing, a joy of engineering and lovely to handle. Some feel the acyrlic platters also depart a certain sonic signature that is not always positive.

....More to come I am sure

kh

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the sytlus know or care?

I've listened to my TT for about two hours so I don't have a clue.

However, if you'll allow my logic chain and speculation, a stylus only picks up what is fed into it, i.e., microvariations in the sides of the groove, or vibrations from other sources. These other sources could come a few places -- lower frequency sound waves (similar to yours when your TT was too close to your speaker), vibrations from a crummy stand and associated footfalls or floor movement, or even LP slippage against the platter.

The donut would seem to be a design effort that reduces slippage and vibration transmission by its soft and tacky nature. This feels to me to be tangentially similar to placing spikes beneath speakers; they improve the speaker's ability to move its diaphragm by giving it "something to brace itself with" ...

Don't you just love that MMF-7. Cannot get enough of those great soundz. With that clamp screwed on snug, I cannot imagine that LP having anything remotely like slippage.

But I think I found the right mat:

Spend Even More $$$

"While still on the lathe, each side is polished by hand. Note that the mat is spinning at nearly 4,000 RPM in this photo! "

That is way better than 78 RPM!

-c7s

Isn't it sad that all of us grown men have little better to do?

Excuse me, I have some baby head to clean up. Stubborn stains just won't come out.

Craig, BTW, Walter's in Hawaii ... got an email from him so he's checking them. I'm sure you'll be made whole on the deal ... hopefully you can hang in there with what you've got until he resurfaces.

Damn, it's snowing -- Expecting NASTY weather in here tonight -- 1/2" of ice glaze on everything.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/local/01523

Wonderful. Perfect driving weather if you've got that NOS440 in a Zamboni!

Chris,

I know he is gone on Vacation. But I was garranteed it would be sent out to me earlier this week. I was nice enough to let him wait rather then open a brand new TT and send me the needle off it like he was going to do and he assured me he would get it out to me when Mr. Hall was back on the 12th. I'm sorry but no word from him or nothing is just plan bad service. I'm a pateint customer to a point !!

I agree that Walter should have:

1. Gotten this cartridge out ASAP with big apology. He is lucky a user can do it on his OWN in the field. Many that opt for this table, cant.

2. IF not getting it out, given a PERSONAL call to Craig telling why and talking about what can be done.

3. Called before vacation and kept Craig up to date if something amiss.

It looks like Walter is NOT perfect, but goes a long way in trying to make things right. Waiting this long for a cartridge is not the answer, however.

Craig, one thing you do, ALIGN the cantilever so it's straight and damn the body. I have had to do this in the past and it's a good stop gap solution to keep from damage to vinyl.

kh

----------------

On 11/16/2002 2:55:57 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Damn, it's snowing -- Expecting NASTY weather in here tonight -- 1/2" of ice glaze on everything.

Wonderful. Perfect driving weather if you've got that NOS440 in a Zamboni!

----------------

I just checked the weather for tomorrow and it's only gonna be a high of 65. My girlfriend and I are going to Epcot tomorrow with some friends in the Corvette Club, and I only have a pair of shorts and a t-shirt (my standard garb). It'll be a little nippy but it sounds like it's better than the weather everywhere else. 9.gif

BTW, my Donut Mat arrived today but I didn't get a chance to check it out. I'll give you my opinion on Monday...

Mike

Which table are you going to use the donut mat on? Second thought on the matter is that the FULL STandard mat might work better on some tables and perhaps might stay put easier.

What I want to know, whether someone makes these are not, is has anyone HEARD a difference with the mat in the positive? I know Allan ordered one to try as well. Since these things offer a 30 day money back feature, it's not gamble. Still, besides C&S's obvious apathy concerning the Donut's aid, has anyone here heard anything positive in nature? There have been so many positive comments on this mat, I was surprised here. Of course, so far, I think all the users have acrylic platters.

Will be interested in hearing some other opinions. Allan has the TD-124 and Mike the vintage Dual. I guess they will be the first of the others to see.

kh

In case any of you missed the game, the Crimson Tide just shut out LSU 31-0. 9.gif

My wife has about three miles of that waffly rubber shelf liner in the kitchen cabinets. I think I'll pick up that large serving platter and cut out 12" of the liner and try it out on my ringing metal platter direct drive turntable. That will give me something to do since it only took about 2 hours to set up and get much better than CD quality sound from the table. The liner is hunter green. Wonder if the color matters? Wish it came in Crimson.

Keith

Its not that I am apathetic, it is hard work to decipher the difference in the sound. It would help if 1) I knew what kind of sonic difference I was looking for and 2) I really could grasp the physics involved and believe it.

I don't enjoy the process of trying to hear things (differences) that I am not sure exist. As you say, it takes time to develop the ear for this. The feedback problem with TT at first, now that was glaring and obvious and the fix dramatic. The difference between the felt and the donut, I am not sure I hear. The LP directly on the acrylic, possibly I heard a difference but not absolutely sure. Maybe it was crisper, but then again, I might be fooling myself.

-C&S