Help! Need binding post nuts for Chorus IIs :(

alkemyst

Need to find new nuts for my Chorus II's (2004 models).  Both red don't tighten.  I just got these through inheritance.  My dad used banana plugs...I'd rather use my spade connections.

I am hoping the posts aren't the issue. 

That said, I wouldn't mind updating the Xovers myself if I have to replace the entire post assembly.  However; my plan to to pick up some Crites pre-builts in a couple months along with my academy. 

Thanks

Å

Some Klipsch binding posts have a “+” or cross type fitting on the inside portion of the post to keep it from turning in the housing.

These same posts also have a smaller hole in the post for bare wire.

When I bought a 300’ roll of 12 gauge wire I found this out the hard way, lol.

There is a really cool connector available that allows you to use spade and bare wire on the standard double banana speaker fittings.

Can’t recall where I got the one set but I have seen them on different sites recently.

20 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Binding posts are easy to replace.

Search "binding posts" on Ebay.  There are a bunch and they are relatively inexpensive.

I'd rather not deal with a binding post replacement now. I have a lot of stuff going on and the Chorus II's are not so light to do this nor small in my compact room. 

19 hours ago, geoff. said:

Some Klipsch binding posts have a “+” or cross type fitting on the inside portion of the post to keep it from turning in the housing.

These same posts also have a smaller hole in the post for bare wire.

When I bought a 300’ roll of 12 gauge wire I found this out the hard way, lol.

There is a really cool connector available that allows you to use spade and bare wire on the standard double banana speaker fittings.

Can’t recall where I got the one set but I have seen them on different sites recently.

I will test this soon and see if a phillips? works, I do have the hole for bare wire or pins in the binding post.  It's weird that its the red jack on both.  However; I think it's the nut that is bad.

11 hours ago, alkemyst said:

I'd rather not deal with a binding post replacement now. I have a lot of stuff going on and the Chorus II's are not so light to do this nor small in my compact room. 

I think I understand.

In that case, why not just use banana plugs like your Dad did?  I'm trying be practical here.  You said wanted to use your spade connectors but since that's not an option due to the broken nuts that you don't want to fix, then banana plugs look like a cheap, easy, workable Plan B.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I think I understand.

In that case, why not just use banana plugs like your Dad did?  I'm trying be practical here.  You said wanted to use your spade connectors but since that's not an option due to the broken nuts that you don't want to fix, then banana plugs look like a cheap, easy, workable Plan B.

If I have to replace them I will.  However it looks like the binding posts threads are fine and they are not spinning at all.  For some reason the plastic nuts appear stripped.   If I can find the thread size/pitch I could find a replacement.

The problem with going from the spades to bananas is I'd have to reorder cables.  At that point, replacing the posts would be a better route overall.

Are the threads directly in the plastic "nut" (plastic threads) or are there threaded metal inserts in the plastic?  In the case of the latter, are the insert threads stripped, the post threads stripped, or is the insert spinning in the plastic?

If there's an insert ("yes" would be my guess) and the insert-to-plastic interface is what's stripped (would be my guess), you likely could thread the nut onto a bolt (of proper thread), heat the bolt long enough to soften the plastic where it interfaces with the insert, and supply sufficient compression to the plastic until it cools to "unstrip" that interface.

Would cost a buck or less in material and an hour or less of time to try.

Personally, I'd cut the lugs off the wire and install some banana plugs.

1 hour ago, alkemyst said:

If I have to replace them I will.  However it looks like the binding posts threads are fine and they are not spinning at all.  For some reason the plastic nuts appear stripped.   If I can find the thread size/pitch I could find a replacement.

The problem with going from the spades to bananas is I'd have to reorder cables.  At that point, replacing the posts would be a better route overall.

I don't think you are going to find just the plastic nuts.  All I've ever seen is the post/nut combo.  They are only five bucks.

Related:  What is the problem with cutting off your spade end from the speaker wire and using a banana plug?  It's the same deal, five bucks for a pair of the very best banana plug ends.

Have you read this thread?

45 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't think you are going to find just the plastic nuts.  All I've ever seen is the post/nut combo.  They are only five bucks.

Related:  What is the problem with cutting off your spade end from the speaker wire and using a banana plug?  It's the same deal, five bucks for a pair of the very best banana plug ends.

Have you read this thread?

I will check that out.  My cables are manufactured.  If I were to go the banana route Id just buy regular wire.

20 minutes ago, alkemyst said:

My cables are manufactured. 

I thought that might be the case.  I would not chop up my nice pre-made cables either.  I suppose there is an adapter somewhere but that seems like a lot of trouble for such a small problem.

Good luck with what ever solution is best for you.

+++

Let me do a little checking.  If I can find some binding posts I'd be happy to send them to you.

21 minutes ago, glens said:

Oh my God!  Find the tail end of the crimped area of the spades, cut them off, strip the insulation the necessary amount, and install banana plugs!

Yeah, if you want to do it the right way!  🤣

+++

@alkemyst I found some parts. 

I have two brand new binding post cups, from PE.  These were for a small box DIY project which is now completed, not further needed by me.  The binding post itself looks small to me.  The binding posts will unscrew from the cups.  The plastic Red and Black nuts are all plastic, no brass inserts.  You would need to solder the internal wires to the binding posts, a screw-on is not an option.

I've also got four new banana plugs, Monoprice.

If you can use these let me know and I'll send them to you at no cost.  Also feel free to pass on them if you want a better/different solution.  It won't hurt my feelings.  😎

1789366388_BindingpostsMonopricebananaplugs.thumb.jpg.4522d4d94e32d99ba7a563480b2afc36.jpg

17 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I thought that might be the case.  I would not chop up my nice pre-made cables either.  I suppose there is an adapter somewhere but that seems like a lot of trouble for such a small problem.

Good luck with what ever solution is best for you.

+++

Let me do a little checking.  If I can find some binding posts I'd be happy to send them to you.

Yeah, not cutting up $100 in premade wiring.  I ordered a set of cables with banana terminations.  When I get into redoing the crossovers I will revisit the binding posts.  Being that the Chorus II's are nearly 100lbs each doesn't make this easy to do either.

To the others throwing BS, I am an engineer but I could not find anything online showing what this looks like inside.