Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
rplace

Altec 511B Horns

Recommended Posts

I have a pair of Altec 511B horns. They are stashed away in my attic. I know they have the badges/decals on both. I assume they are dirty with some of the much needed spider webs. Just trying to gauge interest before I go through the trouble of dragging them out and taking pix. I'm 99% sure I also have the proper adaptors to attach a Klipsch K-55 mid horn to them.

 

This is from a project that never happened.

 

$200 for 2 horns and 2 adaptors. Seems to be a pretty fair price based on quick look on ebay. Let me know if that is out of line. Willing to consider trades of who knows what. Hit me up the worst I can do is say not interested.

 

Not really looking to ship just yet, but I might if you ask nice. Willing to drive a little to help the sale. Located in Maryland zip 21154, exit 80 off of I-95. Very close to Baltimore, Philly, DE,  D.C, NJ. Easy day trip from NYC, CT, NOVA, N.C. Come get 'em.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple people asking if the drives are included. They are not, especially at that price. These are for the 511B horns only and the adaptors to make them work with a Klipsch (or other) screw on driver.

 

Thanks for the interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't have a Klipsch screw driver could you use Gorilla glue?  Asking for a friend. 

 

Here is a photo of the 511B on my home made speakers.  I use Altec 902 drivers (no adaptor needed). 

IMG_1591.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

If you don't have a Klipsch screw driver could you use Gorilla glue?  Asking for a friend

 

Its been a long time since I looked at them and you would probably know better than I. I'm pretty sure the Altec has a 4-bolt pattern so I Klipsch driver is not really necessary. The adaptors (again been a long time) have the 4-bolt pattern on one end and Klipsch-type screw on the other. Thus making an Altec type mount accept a K-55. I'll go dig them out and see what I can find. I know lots of people used these same adaptors in the past. If you friend has Altec or Altec-esque drivers there is no need for the adaptor. Make sense?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rplace said:

 

Its been a long time since I looked at them and you would probably know better than I. I'm pretty sure the Altec has a 4-bolt pattern so I Klipsch driver is not really necessary. The adaptors (again been a long time) have the 4-bolt pattern on one end and Klipsch-type screw on the other. Thus making an Altec type mount accept a K-55. I'll go dig them out and see what I can find. I know lots of people used these same adaptors in the past. If you friend has Altec or Altec-esque drivers there is no need for the adaptor. Make sense?

 Ahhhh .... your memory might be slipping (and mine is no better), but IIRC, the stock Altec 511B has a 2 bolt pattern (not 4 bolt).

There should be plenty of adaptors out there if yours are not correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrestonTom said:

 Ahhhh .... your memory might be slipping (and mine is no better), but IIRC, the stock Altec 511B has a 2 bolt pattern (not 4 bolt).

There should be plenty of adaptors out there if yours are not correct

 

Probably just a memory thing and wish I had waited to look for sure before posting as I knew the crowd would correct me. I'm absolutely certain that they are the correct adaptors to put a K-55 on this horn no matter the bolt pattern.

 

Really just trying to gauge interest in the horns before I go digging in my attic. Consider the adaptors a free bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly is a good deal. 

In the past I have used an Altec 511B with a La Scala. It was a nice sound.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredibly timely post - I just bought a pair of 511 with 802 drivers and plan to set atop my industrial La Scalas.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note these are on hold while @Tony T and I work out the shipping logistic from my end to the moon. B)

 

 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:38 PM, PrestonTom said:

It certainly is a good deal. 

In the past I have used an Altec 511B with a La Scala. It was a nice sound.

 

Tom, mystery and bad memory solved. You were correct, 2-bolt not 4 and how about this, the adaptors are 3-bolt?!?!

 

I dug both the horns and adaptors out of deep storage. If you check this post on page 1 about the 15th or 16th post there is some info form our out pal ALK which is the final piece of the adaptor puzzle. Just posting here to make it easy on anyone who stumbles on this in the future.

 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/63961-cornwall-511b-voice-of-the-corn/

 

From Al's post:

Dscn2075.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...