Palladium P-17B vs P-37F for home theater

ssmh

Hi.

I've started to assemble my Palladium home theater set.

I started out by purchasing a pair of P-27S and a P-27C in Espresso for 1800$.

My next move was to look for the P-37F but another pair of P-27S in Espresso popped up less than an hour away for 900$.

Now i'm left with the choice of purchasing the P-37F or purchasing the P-17B and putting the extra money into subwoofers.

It will be a while after this purchase before i have enough money for subs if i purchase the P-37F.

Prices in Norway is usually 3500$ for the P-37F and 1200$ for the P-17B so the extra 2300$ would go a long way for subwoofers.

Any advice in this situation?

1 hour ago, Schu said:

how big of a room are you trying to energize? if it's smallish, 17's are great. But as always, there is little replacement for displacement.

Agree.

One analogy that I can contribute is I once moved my RB-75 "bookshelf" speakers and hooked them up in my main HT system where my RF-63's are located and ran some demos.  Very little change in dynamics and impact.  Both sets sound fantastic for HT and music.

Bill

9 hours ago, Schu said:

how big of a room are you trying to energize? if it's smallish, 17's are great. But as always, there is little replacement for displacement.

The room is about 3 meters wide, 6 meters deep with 8 foot ceilings.

I've been reading a lot about bookshelves vs towers and a lot are saying if you are running subwoofers the towers are wasted as they will play similar above 100hz.

8 hours ago, willland said:

Agree.

One analogy that I can contribute is I once moved my RB-75 "bookshelf" speakers and hooked them up in my main HT system where my RF-63's are located and ran some demos.  Very little change in dynamics and impact.  Both sets sound fantastic for HT and music.

Bill

Yeah that helps a a lot. So even if the 17's wont be as dynamic the difference still wont be massive?

6 hours ago, ssmh said:

The room is about 3 meters wide, 6 meters deep with 8 foot ceilings.

So about the size of a large bedroom at about 1500ft3.

6 hours ago, ssmh said:

I've been reading a lot about bookshelves vs towers and a lot are saying if you are running subwoofers the towers are wasted as they will play similar above 100hz.

I would not say "waste" but the larger speakers can afford you a lower crossover to subwoofers which will help prevent localization of the lower frequencies.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, ssmh said:

Hi.

I've started to assemble my Palladium home theater set.

I started out by purchasing a pair of P-27S and a P-27C in Espresso for 1800$.

My next move was to look for the P-37F but another pair of P-27S in Espresso popped up less than an hour away for 900$.

Now i'm left with the choice of purchasing the P-37F or purchasing the P-17B and putting the extra money into subwoofers.

It will be a while after this purchase before i have enough money for subs if i purchase the P-37F.

Prices in Norway is usually 3500$ for the P-37F and 1200$ for the P-17B so the extra 2300$ would go a long way for subwoofers.

Any advice in this situation?  

B6D86908-8E95-4E1F-AA2F-2D2945616FFD.jpeg