Xover experts "Industrial Lascala AL Networks"

NOSValves

They look to be identical to the theater La Scala Type ALs. I'd reuse the wood plate, terminal strip and autoformer. The rest of that stuff has to go! If you intend to use them as portable sound reinforcement, I think I'd buy a set of Klipsch Type AL-3s. If not, turn your into Type ALKs ot Type AAs.

John

Well, I'm far from an expert, but it looks to me like those nets contain extra parts to protect the drivers, especially the tweeters from abuse in a pro audio environment. There's a lot of stuff there. Didn't you mention having built a set Al K's for somebody? You didn't let them get out without at least trying them on your LS's, did you? Are your drivers V's or M's? Do you want to try out my Al K's for a week or two? I have no tweeters and my amp is all apart for the cap replacements/upgrades. Cover shipping and they're yours for a couple weeks or a month. Or, I might even do the shipping if you give me some credit on a future Scott overhaul or something. Who knows, I might even end up needing rescued on my Eico. Let me know what you want.

Tom

tmoble@earthlink.net

Edit: I've also got a pair of stock AA, I think they're early models.

Tom,

Yes I did use them for 2 weeks and they were nice I love the tinker factor of the squaker level adjustment. But these AL networks aren't that bad sounding at all. I may have a line on a set of AA's. Thanks for the offer but not needed. If you need me to work on your EICO or Scott I'd be more than happy to look it over and see what may be the problem. We can work it out without to much pain on your part 1.gif .

Craig

I am in agreement with John, here. The AL-3 is so close to an ALK that it is almost impossible to tell the difference (to mine and Q's ears anyway). Al will tell you they should sound nothing alike but they sure sounded good to me. I would either get these from KLIPSCH, or build the A or ALK's if I were you. I wasn't very impressed with the AA's when we did our comparison, although they sounded better than the AL's imho...

Mike

Mike,

I hear what your saying but are these layed out like a regular AL. I think one responder said they are a theater version. He also said to loose them. They sound pretty good to me but as we all know there is almost always room for improvement. I may just build ALKs if the AA's don't suite me if I even end up getting them.

Craig

My photos of type A in progress, best parts include the solid ebony board, NOS oil capacitors better in parellel to a value 13 and 2 mf here, 8+4+1 and 1+1 is my choice.

very resonable price only.

Other information at the 2 channel audio session Khorn crossover advice.

Good luck

tubelion

post-10221-13819245680138_thumb.jpg

Craig,

You should replace the original inductor with a better quality one.I have used Solen's Hepta-Litz 10awg 2.4mH,but you can get a 12awg as well.

I really like the original 13mf oil cap so you can leave it.

Try to experiment with the 2mf caps.I do prefer the 2mf Hovlands to the stock oil.

Regards,

Guy