Apology for all Klipsch discussions ive had

Jim Cornell

I turned my freind on to a set of Chorus for $400.00, these were kinda beat up and didnt want to pawn shop or E-bay them!

What i did notice, is the Chorus have twice the bass, as i hear at home, im losing a lot of low end in this moble home, so i couldnt explain exacally what im hearing in the system!

Should i build a solid floor under my Klipschorns and Chorus?

The Chorus at his place have the exact same bass if not more than the cornwalls did here at home!

I have 3 feet of space under this floor, any sugestions would be nice, how can i get more sound in a mobile home?

I AM NOT hearing the full sound!

My review on the Chorus now is

Excellent low end, tight and sweet,

great high end

Regards Jim

Jim,

If the room is not big enough you will not get the full bass...also they can be very in your face in a room less than 20 by 12.

Best improvement is to SPIKE them. Coupling the speaker to the floor and isolating it at the same time. Try re positioning also. Check for "reflection" sources, e g radiators too near.

As ever, experimenting is the order of the day.

Well Jim, I geuss I'm a liar too.

Because I had Chorus II's, and I live in a trailerhouse as well.

But I am glad you pointed this out, because my experiences with my Chorus II were lack of bass.

In a 12'X 14'X 7' room does not help either.

It also was rather forward at 8 feet away.

With the Chorus II's pushed in the corners for more bass, I would just get massive resonating paneling.

I went as far as buying two SVS 16/46 CS subs to fix the bass problem.

I had the subs away from the corners next to each Chorus II which were also away from the corners, killed the Chorus bass big time, but made up the difference with the subs.

I got more bass and even higher levels of resonating paneling, cheap thin sh*ttie walls.

I'm curious as to any cheap cures to possibly stiffen up the front room in this joint.

(Drywall or firewall on sidewalls? thicken up the floor with MDF?)

This sucks!

I bet you have your Klipschorns longer than your mobile home!

Justin

Not all topic discussions, just the arguments ive had in the past with the Chorus!

Mike, you should hear these in a house, my god, the Chorus = my Klipschorns on bass, im glad to find out how much sound im missing, i wonder what my Klipschorns would do in my freinds house?

Actually i got the Klipschorns 5 years after this house LOL!

And also i will own these till im dead LOL!

As far as the sound going thru the floor, with my Chorus, my Klipschorns go thru the floor and walls!

But as far as it goes, here on out, i can not explain how my speakers sound, not in this house!

My floor is just 2x6s and 3/4 inch particle board and thats it!

Insulation, then 3 feet away is the ground!

Im thinking of a step up, solid wood platform for the speakers, to go on the floor, the whole speaker area, then do the same thing on left and right walls!

/ /

/ /

/___________________/

If i thought the floor would take it, id just pour cement indoors on the floor under my Klipsch!

LOL

Even if i built a platform, i think id still loose sound, these mobile homes are hell on sound!

I have bass all the way to the back room, its more bass than whats in my listening area!

With my 1 set of Chorus, or the Klipschorns!

Well, anyway im loosing so much sound here, if we ever approve for a house, ill get what i owe on this home and move, thats for sure!

If there is a simple light weight remedy, id like to Know, But hearing the Chorus, in a house made me ill!

Regards Jim1.gif

Jim, Your review of the Chorus is just how I like my women...har har!!

As far as slabs go, here's a cool tip. You may be able to get stone (granite, marble, limestone) SINK CUT-OUTS free or cheap from a countertop fabricator. Clipped & Shorn scored one he's using under his turntable, with handballs and furniture cups underneath. Perfect size for most audio gear!

fini

Manufactured housing and other lighter weight construction does not contain bass, it passes right through walls, floors, ceilings leaving the in-room sound very shy in the bottom end. Spikes do not change this; neither will small slabs of stone under the speakers; nor will false corners. Play your system. Go outside. If you hear more bass outside than inside, the problem is the construction of your room.

Concrete slab floors and 2x6" stud walls with double sheetrock cure this problem and create another - too much bass. The difference in home construction between the US and the UK is one of the reasons British speakers tend to be small and produce too little bass for US tastes (OK that's a sweeping generalization, but you know what I mean). UK housing is very solidly built so they can get sufficient bass with a mini-monitor in a small room. The same speaker in a typical US home sounds thin and lacking in dynamics.

Most important component in the system? The room itself.

Once again I agree with an on-point BobG. Trying to deliver the "Klipsch Sound" in my 30' motorhome has been a frustrating adventure. Not only are the walls thin (compared to my homes), but the shape is not conducive to 5.1 (or above) speaker placement. For the present, I am using Synergy fronts and getting the benefit of WDST in the rear.

I am in the process of designing a portable theater that will be trucked to Renaissance Faire sites that will be used to entertain faire workers, vendors, players, etc. during the week. It will be part of the promotion for my new company and also serve as a classroom and a wireless link to the Internet.

Any suggestions would be welcome as the design is in its early stages. HornED

Well

This place is to small anyway, so its time to foreclose, or sell it for what we owe and move on!

Im seeing why i miss the cornwalls, for some reason they produced the low end better in this cheap housing than anything else!

If you live in a modular, or mobile home, dont get K-horns, you wont hear their full sound anyway!

I think were going back to Iowa, or Nevada next summer!

Im moving out of state and selling the house for better sound LOL!

Yea, why did i get Klipschorns?

Well, it just built up to it, thats all, hearing the bigger, then bigger models got me here!

But as far as replies go, i think ill just keep quiet, untill i can hear these in a better room!

More solid!

You buy cheap housing, well you get cheap results!

Regards Jim1.gif

Well, Chris, contrary to the advice on your wall... I have been skipping desserts because life is uncertain. I don't believe I have gotten any recent emails from you. My mailbox overflowed a couple of times and some messages were lost. Hopefully I will be more on top of things this winter.

Yes, I would like to see a copy of the Steve Morse instructional video. Curiously, I had Steve Morse on the Klipschorns/Belle when I came across your post on this thread. All the best to you and yours as represented in the thumbnail avatar. -HornEd

Bob,

I have never tried to set a system up in a mobile home so I can't comment. However, there is a lot of difference in the way British homes are built Some are solid walled but most new house have thin "stud" walls inside and the outside wall is often "dry lined" (battened off and plasterboarded. Also, regardless of age, concrete solid floors and suspended floors are 50/50 split.

Klipsch speakers do not have alot of bass in my English homes . Now JBL speakers have a lot of bass! Bose acoustimass has lots of wobbly bass and splashy treble (with zero midband). I think Wharfdales make a big loud bass. But Klipsch? Sound for sound, not too much bass.

Tight , fast , dynamic bass yes. But not huge amounts of it.

Most important part of the system? Al of it, but with speakers designed to match the room.

Trouble is, I love Klipsch and wherever I live will put up with the shortcomings because the advantages of scale, revealing midband and bass as tight as a gnats chuff mean that everything else sounds a bit undynamic and lifeless.

"Trouble is, I love Klipsch and wherever I live will put up with the shortcomings because the advantages of scale, revealing midband and bass as tight as a gnats chuff mean that everything else sounds a bit undynamic and lifeless."

My sentiments exactly.

You know John, Don't let Justin give you a bad time about the Avatar you had.

I happened to like your "Deer caught in the headlights" impression.