HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

I am starting a sub project very soon. When done, we can set up and compare your THTLP to the ones I do. As much as I enjoyed your speaker (which I plan to give back some day) I wanted something a little easier to move around. I ain't getting any younger and this is for my "mobile" set up. I'm doing two much smaller than the THTLP but together should hold their own.  If your's blows these away, I will have to build one and buy a back brace. I almost dropped yours off the flat bed a couple of times. I wasn't going to tell you, but.....

It has wheels on two sides already, so it isn't impossible to move.  Maybe I could put treads and motors on the next one so it can be driven around, now there's a thought.  A remote-controlled THTLP.  Or maybe just attach a big dolly handle and wheels.

I've dropped one end of it from 3' up already when it fell off of a sawhorse.  Didn't seem to hurt it, lol.

Which subs are you making?  (sorry to hijack this thread, you can PM me if you want)

40 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

It has wheels on two sides already, so it isn't impossible to move.  Maybe I could put treads and motors on the next one so it can be driven around, now there's a thought.  A remote-controlled THTLP.  Or maybe just attach a big dolly handle and wheels.

I've dropped one end of it from 3' up already when it fell off of a sawhorse.  Didn't seem to hurt it, lol.

Which subs are you making?  (sorry to hijack this thread, you can PM me if you want)

Your design and wheel were handy when I moved them around my shop! When I got them on the flatbed, they were awkward to move and lay down (stood up in transit) ond the limited area on the bed.

I'm building two 15" subs using pro driver (Eminence LAB15) in a small ported enclosure. (just under 4 ft3) I already had a Crown amp with DSP that I can do a bandpass x-over and pump 600 watts to each. May or may not do the trick. We will see.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, Pete H said:

I think it looks great!  Can you weld up a scrap piece to compare the look to what you already have?  You should have just made 2 of these and then just used the original for a center.  LOL

Ok, did weld up a couple pieces of scrap. I buffed the weld off one edge to compare. I can leave the weld or buff all joints smooth. OR just leave the mitered joint. Please no comments on the weld skills exhibited. 

trm2.thumb.jpg.0cae036865da84d46441f3d5d1fe8a14.jpgtrm.thumb.jpg.3f835bae17c5743c3fd5915a09d9b183.jpg

29 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Ok, did weld up a couple pieces of scrap. I buffed the weld off one edge to compare. I can leave the weld or buff all joints smooth. OR just leave the mitered joint. Please no comments on the weld skills exhibited. 

Probably will look great regardless, and will depend on what you think and how much more time, effort and MOJO, you want to put into it.  

Your welding skills are amazing compared to mine.  Mine are limited to, "I know a few people that are great welders and they do my welding"  

59 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Probably will look great regardless, and will depend on what you think and how much more time, effort and MOJO, you want to put into it.  

Your welding skills are amazing compared to mine.  Mine are limited to, "I know a few people that are great welders and they do my welding"  

I have a dozen guys out back that I would have do this for me before I would do it myself. I am not awful but they are very good.

4 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Stop coming up with more things to do. Some of us work for living.

t4.thumb.jpg.69c8ccbb2b267dc3f080d7c832eec9bb.jpgt3.thumb.jpg.96e85b28e24902e6be02417d07ea0c8a.jpg

If I get a vote......................or if my vote counts........................or if my vote gets counted...................Long pause   LMAO

That looks sweet and I would vote for that, especially if you have guys in the shop to do it.   Very Nice.  That said, did you consider having the aluminum corners done the way they are on the original?  I know a guy.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pete H said:

If I get a vote......................or if my vote counts........................or if my vote gets counted...................Long pause   LMAO

That looks sweet and I would vote for that, especially if you have guys in the shop to do it.   Very Nice.  That said, did you consider having the aluminum corners done the way they are on the original?  I know a guy.  

I was trying not to overthink this. Now you (and Carl) are pushing me to work harder than I had planned. He did the same thing when I mentioned doing a simple ported sub. Having the guys in the shop do it puts me over budget with having to buy beer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like we need to change our approach.  I may need to call him at work:ph34r:

Code has been here several times, but he was invited. The creepy: you have a call from "Carl........from the Forum"  on line one......still haunts me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You can lead a horse to water................................................

I still have @codewritinfool 's THTLP here. We can do a side by side experiment. He can be the judge. If it is that much better, I will go that route and sign up for a group rate at my chiropractor. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I still have @codewritinfool 's THTLP here. We can do a side by side experiment. He can be the judge. If it is that much better, I will go that route and sign up for a group rate at my chiropractor. 

I'd go ahead and sign up now then.  It'll save the hassle later.

EDIT, you don't need the THTLP's size and weight when the TTLP will work great in your application or even the other one I mentioned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete H said:

That my friend, looks great!

I was actually excited when I saw it on! I only pretended to be avoiding the extra work. I am actually a workaholic.

If that wasn't enough to get the ol' mojo back, USPS found my lost package with the final pieces and parts!! Out for delivery.

Subs wont start until next week!!

• Like 1