HIP & other misc builds

MookieStl

23 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@MookieStl, really well done, thanks for sharing your build. As a Heresy fan, and looking forward to building a set maybe later this year, it’s great to see this type of amazing work. The capacitors are outstanding especially how they made your coffee mug grow!

The capacitors drank my coffee too.

Heresy are a fun build. About a dozen years ago, I pick up a pair dirt cheap. A dog had chewed  them on several occasions. I built new cabinets out of used crate wood I had in the shop just to get them up and running. Used the motorboard and grill,  just a clear urethane finish, so limited effort. A simple cap update and all original drivers. When I was done, I was blown away by them and wished I had used better wood. Now have three sets. Those, a fancy pair stained and cane grills and now these industrial looking ones. The last two were modified (but approved) versions of @ClaudeJ1 's Super Heresy. I highly recommend going this route. A more modern woofer with a port, adds the only thing missing from the original design, bass. 

Good luck with your build. Always an enjoyable project.

Thanks, I have 1980s as original owner with E crossover I built and 1984  modified supers. The build project is for son in law. I have all the drivers and an E2 crossover I made, really just cabinet work to go.  

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 2:40 PM, MookieStl said:

I still have @codewritinfool 's THTLP here. We can do a side by side experiment. He can be the judge. If it is that much better, I will go that route and sign up for a group rate at my chiropractor. 

I was texting with @codewritinfool and he offered to do any lifting during our shoot out, it made me sound old and frail. I want to clear that up a little. I am old but not frail. I am strong as an ox, but am stupid. There is a distinct difference. There are thing you can lift and things you can't. There are items that fall in the middle where you have have to lift a certain way. I don't always know the difference.

Glad I could clear that up.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MookieStl said:

I was texting with @codewritinfool and he offered to do any lifting during our shoot out, it made me sound old and frail. I want to clear that up a little. I am old but not frail. I am strong as an ox, but am stupid. There is a distinct difference. There are thing you can lift and things you can't. There are items that fall in the middle where you have have to lift a certain way. I don't always know the difference.

Glad I could clear that up.

Lol, we can lift together.  That thing has 8 wheels and 4 handles.  I will try to hurry up the T45 so we can try it, the THTLP, and your new sub with the 4 La Scalas (want to make it 6?) and see what works and what doesn't.  I really do think this needs to be OUTSIDE so there are no reflections to muddy things up.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

You gonna run these tomorrow (the 21st)?  Wanna try them vs. the THTLP at your shop?

going to finish these out and give them a good work out. I may roll your THTLP over and compare if I still have time.

I'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:33 AM, Marvel said:

Mookie,

What are these? They look great!

Homebrew and yes they look fantastic.  I hate people with access to CNC machines!  LOL.  It would take me twice the time to build these than it did him.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Homebrew and yes they look fantastic.  I hate people with access to CNC machines!  LOL.  It would take me twice the time to build these than it did him.

Hate? That's a bit harsh!

It would have taken you twice as long cuz it would have been a horn instead of simple box! 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Hate? That's a bit harsh!

It would have taken you twice as long cuz it would have been a horn instead of simple box! 

Hate was the wrong thing to say.  Extremely envious would have been a better descriptor.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Hate was the wrong thing to say.  Extremely envious would have been a better descriptor.

No offense taken. I hate dislike people that use track saws.

To design the cabinet and do the layout on the router still takes some skill. The easy part is when you do multiples.