Klipsch/Onkyo/Distributor

billybob

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

My understanding is that it is distribution only in Latin America. Is anyone reading anything different? 

Just reading the second link, the wording from the Onkyo CEO refers to America's. Not definitive, yet, closing US distribution. So, would take it as possibly both.

Certainly my impression, however wrong. Thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Just reading the second link, the wording from the Onkyo CEO refers to America's. Not definitive, yet, closing US distribution. So, would take it as possibly both.

Certainly my impression, however wrong. Thanks!

The first link is what makes me think, I may be correct... thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Onkyo distributes Klipsch in Japan for about a year now.

Onkyo was on the block last year, decided not to sell.

We will see.

AVS Forum banner
AVS Forum

Onkyo USA Closes, Klipsch Now U.S. Distributor for Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer, and Pioneer Elite

Mark Henninger · 3 d ago · Edited3 d ago

klipsch-jpg.3029745

Logistics don't necessarily the most exciting news, but there is an undeniable shift in the world of AVRs and pre/pros now that Onkyo has issued a notice that Onkyo USA Corporation is no more. A letter that was sent to dealers noted the termination is retroactively effective beginning July 29, 2020. Voxx, owner of Klipsch, set up a company called 11 Trading Company that purchased all of Onkyo USA corporation's assets.

The letter sent to dealers cites "recent changes in the world economy" for making this "strategic decision." Notably, Onkyo and Pioneer and Integra warranties will continue to be honored by the new entity.

It remains to be seen what the full impact of this new alliance between Onkyo and Klipsch will bring. However, if I were to take a stab at predicting the future, I would say that you will see Klipsch speakers paired with electronics from these brands in future marketing.

Klipsch also sent a letter to dealers asking Onkyo dealers with terminated agreements to apply to the new 11 Trading Company for new agreements. the letter anticipates that with this move, Klipsch will be able to offer "a vast and complete audio solutions portfolio in the Americas."

Reactions:BFJ 96
Mark Henninger
Written By: 
Mark Henninger
Certifications: THX Video Calibration Level 1, THX Video Calibration Level 2

AV enthusiast who splits time between music, movies and video games. My day job is Editor here at AVS Forum.

Besides the AV hobby, I am a licensed drone pilot and a prolific contributor of photos, videos and 360 imagery to Google Maps and Google Street View.
Follow View All Authors

26 Replies

LNEWoLF

LNEWoLF

Registered
Joined Jan 31, 2006 
· 
1,173 Posts
Rutt rwoe

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

F

Friendly Fire

Registered

Joined Nov 18, 2010 
· 
381 Posts
So is Onkyo struggling as a brand?

Xtempo

Xtempo

Registered

Joined Apr 13, 2010 
· 
47 Posts
Is this why Pioneer is a shadow of its former glorious self?

B

bgalakazam

Registered

Joined May 9, 2013 
· 
56 Posts
Interesting. I hope they continue with support for the existing receivers. Otherwise I would have just stayed with Denon when I got the Atmos upgrade.

LG C8 55" OLED | Sony UBP-X700 | Onkyo TX-RZ830 | Klipsch RF-82 II | Klipsch RC-62 II | Klipsch RB-51 II | Klipsch RP-500SA | SVS PB1000

K

KidHorn

Registered

Joined Nov 14, 2003 
· 
5,546 Posts
There will be more consolidations going forward. People don't buy home theater systems any more. They use earbuds connected to their phone.

Steve Bruzonsky

Steve Bruzonsky

Registered

Joined Jan 24, 1999 
· 
21,145 Posts
I have an Onkyo receiver in to Jeff's Audio Repair in Phoenix for repair since July 1st. They timely ordered the needed new transformer. They received notice August 1 that 11 Trading Company will be handling repairs and contact them once parts are available for shipment, no notice since. Onkyo support gives email to 11 Trading Company, I emailed them last Monday, no reply yet, and there is no phone number listed yet. Not impressed so far at all.

See The BRUZER-AERIAL THEATER 2020!for my still in process dedicated home theater upgrade & renovation thread from my then 5.2.4 to planned 11.12.13 dedicated home theater. Please don't post in this thread until my theater is all done and I have completed all of the details.

O

openbaffled

Registered

Joined Jul 5, 2010 
· 
39 Posts
Mark, you wrote, "you will see clips speakers". I know you meant Klipsch. Damn spellchecker!!! image.gif.3737c81e8006e8892984be76adc35fea.gif

S

ss9001

Registered

Joined Jun 19, 2003 
· 
9,581 Posts
As a long time Pioneer Elite fan, I'm saddened to read this. I knew it wasn't going great for Onkyo-Pioneer but to see them outright close US operations and shift all assets to Klipsch-Vox is not a good sign. Of course I finally moved past the Pio Elite SC-09TX (which I still own and occasionally use along with a SC-68 in another setup).

I finally broke with Pioneer Elite ~5 yrs ago when it became obvious that their AVR's weren't keeping up with D&M. I went with a Marantz AV8802 then 2 yrs ago, I made the giant leap to a Trinnov Altitude 16 - the final stop and a huge difference in capability. But I still have a lingering fondness for the Pioneer Elite gear I've owned over many years - multiple laserdisc players, multiple AVR's, multiple universal & BD players, and the last gen Kuro plasma (also in another room).

While it reads like the Onkyo-Integra-Pioneer-Elite product lines will continue (for awhile at least) under Klipsch, the long-term prospects are dimming.

I'm 70 so fondly remember the era where companies like Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, Fisher, Sherwood, Onkyo, etc ruled "consumer hi-fi". All but Marantz are gone or a tiny shell of their former glory.

Steve

A

allargon

Registered

Joined May 5, 2007 
· 
3,789 Posts
I'm 70 so fondly remember the era where companies like Sansui, Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, Fisher, Sherwood, Onkyo, etc ruled "consumer hi-fi". All but Marantz are gone or a tiny shell of their former glory.
I'm not yet 50 and fondly remember that era. I will miss Onkyo should they disappear, as they were excellent at pushing the feature sets of mainstream and high-end brands forward.

GalvatronType_R

GalvatronType_R

Registered

Joined Mar 30, 2004 
· 
910 Posts
Sad but predictable. This type of industry consolidation and contraction will continue and expand. This is not good for the consumer or the industry overall.

As loud and obnoxious as AV nuts are, we are a tiny insignificant corner of the overall industry. Most people are perfectly happy with soundbars or (ugh) TV speakers. Of those into AV, the people who get the upgrade itch are even fewer and far between. I do not know anyone who is anxious to get rid of their high end OLED displays or 4K projectors for piddly improved 8K displays. I do not know anyone who is shouting SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! to trade their high end HDMI 2.0 AVRs for middling improvements in 2.1 AVRs. Speaking personally, I took a pay cut and I am not in any rush for short term frivolous spending and I’m certain that I’m not alone.

The industry has taken its customers for granted for years (and there are a lot of dumb sheep out there happy to be shorn) and some of this industry suffering is self inflicted and well deserved.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch

H

HiFiPro

Registered

Joined Jul 19, 2019 
· 
8 Posts
So is Onkyo struggling as a brand?
Struggled. It's over now. We'll see if Voxx brings the actual product line back, or simply uses the name or manufacturing network for something else.

H

HiFiPro

Registered

Joined Jul 19, 2019 
· 
8 Posts
I have an Onkyo receiver in to Jeff's Audio Repair in Phoenix for repair since July 1st. They timely ordered the needed new transformer. They received notice August 1 that 11 Trading Company will be handling repairs and contact them once parts are available for shipment, no notice since. Onkyo support gives email to 11 Trading Company, I emailed them last Monday, no reply yet, and there is no phone number listed yet. Not impressed so far at all.
Sad to say, you are in good company - dealing with a untenable situation regarding service support (well, lack thereof) for warranty service. A recent online search for 11 Trading Company via media sites yielded a FB page, for hosiery. I like socks as much as anyone, but where do I hook them to my speakers?

NahsiK

NahsiK

Registered

Joined Sep 23, 2013 
· 
90 Posts
I'm 47 years old and love my 2016 LG OLED C6, 3d movies, 4K UDH movies, Onkyo 7.1 Dolby Atmos receiver, and SVS speakers whereas some of the younger people I know just slap one of the newer, cheap 4K tvs on their wall and hook up a soundbar and call it a day. (smh) They either do that or watch movies on their phone/tablet. I'm wondering now though, with COVID-19 shuttin' down movie theaters for so long if it'll revive the home theater market?

TV: LG OLED65C6P
Receiver: ONKYO RZ 720 7.2 Channel 4K/HDR Receiver w/Dolby Atmos/DTS X
Consoles: Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) and Sony PS4
UHD DVD Player: OPPO UDP-203
SVS Ultra Bookshelf and SVS Prime 5.1 Satellites w/ 12" SB-1000 sub

Reactions:Five28

super_duperfly

super_duperfly

Registered

Joined 3 d ago 
· 
1 Posts
Is this why Pioneer is a shadow of its former glorious self?
Yes, Pioneer sold to Onkyo in 14, Pioneer Sells Home AV Business to Onkyo they became garbage after that, purchased an lx501 and wish I just would've went Marantz, they cheapened the brand even their higher end receivers feel lesser

Reactions:afelcandy

fatuglyguy

fatuglyguy

Registered

Joined Dec 27, 2007 
· 
2,448 Posts
Sad news, Onkyo/Integra were never my cup of tea, but the brand consolidation and lack of real choice is bad for all of us. I came into this hobby when Pioneer Elite was a distinct line of aspirational AV products, with the gorgeous Urushi finishes and amber displays inspiring lust in my young, broke heart. In fact, my first "nice" system was built around a VSX-21TXH and BDP-23FD. Seems like ever since the Onkyo acquisition, they've slowly lowered the price for entry for Elite and lost the identity, since they're now little more than re-skinned Integras/Onkyos. Let's just hope the new company is able to pick up the slack.

film Sony 65A1E | Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall | B&W DB4S | Sony ZA5000ES | UDP 205 | UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy | REL S/5 | Sony TA-A1ES | Wadia 321 | HEOS Link HS2 | Sony SCD-777ES | Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani | AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor | REL T-Zero | Rega Brio | AQ Dragonfly Cobalt | Mac mini | AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E | Monitor Audio Silver RX1 | Marantz NR1508 | Panasonic UB900

Reactions:afelcandy

H

hk2000

Registered

Joined Dec 19, 2007 
· 
125 Posts
Not easy to compete with the Goliath of Sound United who got almost every AV reviewer or website on their side. I've seen far too many examples of superior Integra/Onkyo gear get trashed buy reviewers while praising inferior Denon or Marantz products- Audioholics website being the most guilty of such blatant disregard for fairness and objectivity, while at the same time claiming to be fighting for objectivity!!

Reactions:dunnersfella

J

Jed1

Registered

Joined Aug 29, 2009 
· 
1,022 Posts
Logistics don't necessarily the most exciting news, but there is an undeniable shift in the world of AVRs and pre/pros now that Onkyo has issued a notice that Onkyo USA Corporation is no more. A letter that was sent to dealers noted the termination is retroactively effective beginning July 29, 2020. Voxx, owner of Klipsch, set up a company called 11 Trading Company that purchased all of Onkyo USA corporation's assets.

The letter sent to dealers cites "recent changes in the world economy" for making this "strategic decision." Notably, Onkyo and Pioneer and Integra warranties will continue to be honored by the new entity.

It remains to be seen what the full impact of this new alliance between Onkyo and Klipsch will bring. However, if I were to take a stab at predicting the future, I would say that you will see Klipsch speakers paired with electronics from these brands in future marketing.

Klipsch also sent a letter to dealers asking Onkyo dealers with terminated agreements to apply to the new 11 Trading Company for new agreements. the letter anticipates that with this move, Klipsch will be able to offer "a vast and complete audio solutions portfolio in the Americas."
There has already been changes as to the name of the company on August 11th it is now Premium Audio Company LLC.
www.klipsch.com

Klipsch Global Realignment & Brand Expansion | Klipsch

Klipsch is unveiling a strategic global realignment and brand expansion to further its market position as a premium home audio, speaker, and headphone company. Read more.
www.klipsch.com www.klipsch.com

INDIANAPOLIS, IND. (August 11, 2020) —
Klipsch®, a legend and leader in premium audio products, is pleased to announce a strategic restructuring and expansion plan designed to meet and exceed global consumer demand with a streamlined and focused portfolio of tech-driven premium audio solutions. The move positions the company to offer a vast, complete audio and electronics assortment while continuing to deliver world-class service to its channel partners and consumers alike.
Effective immediately, the following companies and their associated brands will be structurally aligned under a newly formed corporate umbrella named Premium Audio Company, LLC. as follows:
  • Klipsch Group, Inc. – which includes the Klipsch, Jamo, Energy, and ProMedia speaker brands.
  • 11 Trading Company (11 TC) – the newly formed distribution company with exclusive distribution rights in the Americas to the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, and Integra brands, as well as rights with respect to the Magnat and Heco brands.
In addition, 11 TC will exclusively market and sell premium audio products in the Americas for following two subsidiaries. 
  • Magnat and Heco loudspeakers, two of Germany's most revered speaker companies.
  • Onkyo & Pioneer Corporation, which includes the Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, and Integra brands and products such as AV receivers, HiFi equipment, mini-systems, smart speakers, turntables, sound bars, home theater systems, and optical disc players.
Paul Jacobs remains President and CEO of the Premium Audio Company, LLC subsidiary. Mr. Jacobs added, “Klipsch remains our flagship brand within our premium audio portfolio and we are expecting significant growth this year with new products coming to market and our expanded distribution. We will also be bringing to the Americas some of our international brands while offering our customers and consumers a much wider assortment of high-end premium audio products. We look forward to the coming year and building our business through innovation.”
As announced on July 30, 2020, Klipsch and Onkyo & Pioneer Corporation expanded their alliance to include the distribution of Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, and the Integra brands in the Americas. The distribution will run through a newly created subsidiary, 11 Trading Company, LLC, and will include products ranging from AV receivers to HiFi equipment, mini-systems, smart speakers, turntables, sound bars, home theater systems, optical disc players and more, broadening the Company’s portfolio to include a diverse mix of audio products. Onkyo and Pioneer Corporation will continue to distribute Klipsch-branded products in Japan.
###
About Premium Audio Company
Established in 2020, Premium Audio Company is the most innovative, complete and premium audio solutions provider in consumer technology. We connect people to their passion for entertainment. Premium Audio Company is comprised of three subsidiaries and includes some of the most legendary and revered brands such as Klipsch, Jamo, Mirage, ProMedia, Magnat, Heco, Mac Audio, Onkyo, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite and the Integra. Premium Audio Company, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of VOXX International Corporation (NASDAQ: VOXX).

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><span>"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"</span></div></div>

D

dunnersfella

Registered
Joined Jul 25, 2015 
· 
515 Posts
As loud and obnoxious as AV nuts are, we are a tiny insignificant corner of the overall industry.
THIS!
Please, everyone on this forum - you need to understand that a great deal of the AV world does not, never has and never will revolve around what 'enthusiasts' think!
I do laugh when you see forum posters say "I hope insert company here are watching this forum and note just how DISGUSTED I am with the bass handling of their room EQ solution".
Nope, they are not watching, they have other very important things to do and they leave us to our selves...

Also - I love that the photo for this article shows a WISA system from Klipsch - something that makes a Pioneer, Onkyo or Integra AVR completely redundant.
The irony clearly wasn't missed when this image was selected.

On top of that, Onkyo hasn't distributed their own products for most of the world for quite some time. If anything, America was the hold-out who bucked the trend. Throughout most of Europe Aquipa looks after the brands, with a host of other products in their stables from Devialet, through to Thule roof racks and some SodaStream type refill solutions etc. Basically, Onkyo / Pioneer allows other companies to market their brands for them. With their move to cut head count recently, I guess the Northern American branch was simply part of the cull. Will Klipsch be able to grow sales of the AVR's etc AND allow Pioneer / Onkyo to return to profitability? Maybe...
Ultimately I think the relationship will benefit Klipsch the most - they'll be able to margin mix deals together to move speaker packs, while at the same time getting AVR's out the door. It really does allow for some flexibility and clout when dealing with the Best Buys / Amazon / SNAP AV distro types in the US of A.

D

dunnersfella

Registered
Joined Jul 25, 2015 
· 
515 Posts
Not easy to compete with the Goliath of Sound United who got almost every AV reviewer or website on their side. I've seen far too many examples of superior Integra/Onkyo gear get trashed buy reviewers while praising inferior Denon or Marantz products- Audioholics website being the most guilty of such blatant disregard for fairness and objectivity, while at the same time claiming to be fighting for objectivity!!
I did have to laugh at this one... as it's so true!
I was watching the Daily HiFi podcast the other day and Youthman or one of the hosts commented on Sound United buying B&W...
He was super keen on the idea as that way he knew he'd definitely be able to get his hands on some B&W speakers to test / review. While B&W are in all sorts of strife, he knows that Sound United court reviewers / websites / VLOG'ers very, very closely. They know who to market to and certainly understand that greasing a few palms via banner ads goes a long way.
Not many other companies 'get this'. But I will say that Klipsch seems to really have a handle on this sort of thing and reportedly are very happy to put products into the hands of reviewers - much in the way that SVS does.

Remember folk - if you're watching a highly produced weekly video on YouTube, then someone is paying for the time and effort to create this - and odds on, the money is coming from the company that's being reviewed... AV VLOG's simply don't generate enough traffic to keep their sites self funded via views alone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Recommended Reading
  1. Pioneer Unloads Home Electronics Business

Latest Industry News
  2. Harman Kardon - when will they have Atmos?

Receivers, Amps, and Processors
  3. Anthing new from Harman Kardon in 2010?

4. Kenwood or Yamaha (opinions?)

5. What year did D and M undergo significant changes

• VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
  •  

• Forum software by XenForo RSS

12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Onkyo distributes Klipsch in Japan for about a year now.

Onkyo was on the block last year, decided not to sell.

We will see.

---  it would seem that klipsch and Voxx are interested in Onkyo -