Replacement Stylus for Grado X1+

Frzninvt

Hello I just picked up a Yamaha TT-400U turntable on the cheap.  I cleaned it up and it seems to function well but the Grado X1+ cartridge stylus was broken off by the previous owner.  A quick internet search yielded some replacements but at $150, ouch!  I did stumble across some sort of cross reference chart that showed the X1+ stylus is now the Gold 1? 

Anyone know where I might be able to source a cheaper replacement stylus.  I assume the Grado X1+ was a good cartridge when it was released judging by the cost of the stylus.  Any ideas on a cheaper route or should I give it up altogether and sell the thing.  I gave up on LP's many years ago when I sold my collection of like 600 LP's and Technics SL-DL5 turntable.

1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

Well I don't think I want to unmount and remount a new cartridge and align it when I don't even own a single record at this point.  I was just hoping to find a replacement stylus for less than the $150 that I found on the net.

I have some Grado's. The X1+ was also only available in Europe and can possibly be exchanged with a Grado Prestige Gold I / II, because the Prestige Gold series also have the small golden dots on the needle carrier. But unfortunately they are not cheaper.

Original Grado X1+ Stylus

Grado X1+ stylus,Grado X1+ needle stylus,Grado X1+ stylus needle ...

Original Grado Prestige Gold 1 Stylus

image.jpeg.ec4d28cafa8fed65c577a02b1473f786.jpeg

So you can use the lesser model stylus versions (i.e. green, blue, black, etc.) on the X1+ as well but I assume not the same performance level.  Interesting that it was only available in Europe since I think the lady was a model and her husband was an ambassador in Europe.

I also realized I got a P-mount headshell with the TT-400U as well what is a decent P-Mount cartridge with stylus that I could try say in the $100 or so range or should I just pony up the $150 for the Grado Gold 1 replacement stylus.  I got the turntable for $10 as an estate sale so my investment is low at this point but is this table even worth buying a $150 stylus for?

• Like 1

Did some research on the. Belt drive, modest price. If keeping it inexpensive until you check out the speed, hum, flutter you may want to go with a grado black for instance. Before I sprung for the gold myself. P-mount is nice option where you could go Ortofon Red for around $100 or much less.

Make certain belt in good shape while at it.

Edit: yes on too much for the table ...imo

Sometimes, those less money Yammies surprise, in a good way, and sound better than they should. There was an X-2 at one time for around $70...make sure of the compatibility with your headshell with  customer service if any doubt. Stylus maybe broken during a move.

Guess you checked the P-mount for a needle.

Edited by billybob

I did check the belt is still taught and springy it was not on the platen or the motor when I got it.  I had to thread it on the platen and then the motor hub and it spun up with no issues I was doing some research and saw a guy used a Stanton 725E P-Mount on his and it sounded great I will look into the Ortofon Red.  I used to have a really nice Denon DP-62L back in the heyday of vinyl.  Thanks for the help.  Not sure what this table sold for when new I am guessing it is from the mid to late 80's?  Sold maybe $250 or so back then at a guess.

1 minute ago, Frzninvt said:

I did check the belt is still taught and springy it was not on the platen or the motor when I got it.  I had to thread it on the platen and then the motor hub and it spun up with no issues I was doing some research and saw a guy used a Stanton 725E P-Mount on his and it sounded great I will look into the Ortofon Red.  I used to have a really nice Denon DP-62L back in the heyday of vinyl.  Thanks for the help.  Not sure what this table sold for when new I am guessing it is from the mid to late 80's?  Sold maybe $250 or so back then at a guess.

Sounds about right. Happen to be using a Stanton elliptical P-mount on mine.

Sounds good to me and, less expensive by a third...

The Grado Gold and the Grado X1+  look to be very close to each other , it even could be the same cartridge but marketed for 2 continents , so it is a  top of the line MM phono cartridge ---------brand new Gold 3 is 260$ at PE --while the Black  is 75$ brand new and it comes with a Stylus ---------now that's a great deal ------

Facts .................

Grado Prestige Black T4P
A very good T4P system, also well suited for installation in older turntables. Nice warm sound. 3-OTL needle carrier.

Grado Prestige Black3
Moving Iron pickups from the legendary Prestige series. Very beautiful tones, good spatial imaging with amazing depth staggering.

Grado Prestige Green
Hand-selected pickup system with close tolerance, based on the Grado Black

Grado Prestige Blue 3

In terms of price, the Grado Blue is in the middle range . The pickup has a better needle carrier than the cheaper Gardo Black or Green, therefore it sounds a bit more open and scans better. The sonic gain over the cheaper models is very clearly audible! In view of the price this pickup might be one of the most interesting models of this series.

Grado Prestige Red

excellent pickup of the analog master Grado strictly selected system, which technically corresponds to the Grado Prestige Blue, but has considerably lower tolerances and therefore sounds better

Grado Prestige Silver 3
Moving Iron pickup with improved needle grinding

Grado Prestige Gold 3

The  Gold is technically based on the Prestige Silver, but has been hand-selected through extensive quality testing and therefore has very low tolerances. In terms of sound, this pickup offers musicality and timbres at an extremely high level! The Gold is the ideal system for all those who are primarily interested in music and do not want to "listen through" technical effects.

So in essence the Grado X1+ is a top of the line Grado cartridge equivalent to the Gold Prestige version of today.   I suppose if I am willing to spend a $100 on a P-Mount I should just pony up the additional $50 to bring the X1+ back to life since it is a top quality cartridge.  I found a couple of places that offer it for around $135.  Thanks for all the information and suggestions

• Like 2