Need help selecting drivers KLF30

Bigfootexpert

Hello, I am in pursuit in owning a great set of speakers like the K30's I almost made a deal tonight but it required me to drive 10h one way and it all fell through of a difference of $100.

I am a motivated buyer and I'm never shy in doing whatever it takes to get it done. So I just completed a major renovation to my house and have to build Kitchen Cabinets next so I  decided, hey, why not build my own K30's from scratch since everyone is upgrading theirs and I don't want to purchase some old ones to only having to upgrade them later.

So I know I will need:

2ea. Bob Crites Crossovers.   

4ea. CIARE HW321 12" woofers.   

Tweeters +Horns???    

Mid's + Horn???    

If anyone can fill in the blank, I will greatly appreciate it!!!

Klipsch KLF-30 Main _ Stereo Speakers _ eBay.htm

First, thank you for your reply. I think the upgraded ones would be best also to make it "Future Proof" I don't want to chase down 20year old OEM stuff because eventually it will wear out eventually. And since I am starting with 4x8 sheets of Birch Plywood, I don't have to be constrained to exact OEM horn or driver fitment issues, since I will be the one cutting the holes. 😃

You will find the mid range horns are very hard to come by. They are shared with the klf-20 to help with your quest.

A long shot would be to (some how) convince Klipsch to sell you a pair of forte III horns, they would be a drop-in to the klf-20/30s. The forte III is the same other than it has the modern “mumps”.

Honestly I don't think I would try to build my own klf-30s from scratch as much as I love mine. If I had the room and were to start over I would go with used Cornwall or LaScala's for the money it would take to build a set of clone klf-30s. JMHO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alexander said:

You will find the mid range horns are very hard to come by. They are shared with the klf-20 to help with your quest.

8 hours ago, Bigfootexpert said:

why not build my own K30's from scratch

So I know I will need:

2ea. Bob Crites Crossovers.   

4ea. CIARE HW321 12" woofers.   

Tweeters +Horns???    

Mid's + Horn???    

If anyone can fill in the blank, I will greatly appreciate it!!!

Klipsch KLF-30 Main _ Stereo Speakers _ eBay.htm 656.68 kB · 2 downloads

There is a single KLF-30 mid horn in the garage sale section here and I have another single I'd be willing to let go, A55-g mid drivers are readily available through Crites as are his crossovers. Tweeter horns are readily available as well you have @Dave A MAHL drop in's as an easy option and the Ciare woofers are available and sold on the US speaker website.

• Like 2

First, I love the Challenge, I have been taken on lots of Carpentry projects that I never have done before because how else will I learn. I actually found a set in Detroit Michigan for sale for $1000 but it is a 10H drive from North Carolina. Then I might be forced to upgrade them and if not now then for sure in the future so then why not buy all the better stuff now and build a cabinet for them? Like I said, I love the challenge and I'm willing to fail doing so. 

As far as the Horns, I think they don't have to be exact OEM, they can be Universal ones since I'm building a brand new cabinet from scratch .I'm more worried about the proper drivers to be within a certain Thiele parameters. And if I fail at all of this, you can tell me, i told you so. 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigfootexpert said:

As far as the Horns, I think they don't have to be exact OEM, they can be Universal ones since I'm building a brand new cabinet from scratch .I'm more worried about the proper drivers to be within a certain Thiele parameters. And if I fail at all of this, you can tell me, i told you so. 😁

I guess the single horn here in the garage sale sold-- ZXPC is a seller on eBay with great quality products here is a similar horn but a bit larger would not fit in a stock KLF cabinet but since you are building custom might be able to make it work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x-16-ABS-1-Screw-On-Horn-90-x-40-For-Assorted-One-Inch-Exit-Drivers/231993121414?hash=item3603de1a86:g:~k8AAOSwYHxWFgfO

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

There is a single KLF-30 mid horn in the garage sale section here and I have another single I'd be willing to let go, A55-g mid drivers are readily available through Crites as are his crossovers. Tweeter horns are readily available as well you have @Dave A MAHL drop in's as an easy option and the Ciare woofers are available and sold on the US speaker website.

Thank you, i just want to stress that the Horns dosen't have to be an exact fit worse case scenario, since it is being build from scratch and will not have any fitment problems. I have reached out to Bob Crites last week and I'm still waiting for a response. That website is a bit hard to figure out if you don't know what you are looking for. 

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I guess the single horn here in the garage sale sold-- ZXPC is a seller on eBay with great quality products here is a similar horn but a bit larger would not fit in a stock KLF cabinet but since you are building custom might be able to make it work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x-16-ABS-1-Screw-On-Horn-90-x-40-For-Assorted-One-Inch-Exit-Drivers/231993121414?hash=item3603de1a86:g:~k8AAOSwYHxWFgfO

Thank you for the Link, They are Purdy, I can all-ready Visualize Copper Fasteners in them 😉

3 minutes ago, Bigfootexpert said:

Thank you for the Link, They are Purdy, I can all-ready Visualize Copper Fasteners in them 😉

Here's a link to the eBay listing for the a55-g they are cheaper through the Crites website though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Midrange-Driver-for-K-55-K-55M-K-51-and-k-55X-Also-KLF20-KLF30/383669975336?hash=item5954833928:g:uNwAAOSwFLpfL4Qf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigfootexpert said:

What size Horns do the Tweeter require? I see the Mid's are 1" exit.

Here's an eBay link to Dave's MAHL again probably cheaper to contact him through the forum here and I'd opt for the de-120 drivers which he offers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-79-76-792-LMAHL-V2-1-Pair-Dropin-Replacment-for-Klipsch-OEM-B-C-DE10/224152702930?hash=item34308acfd2:g:6jcAAOSwBF5d5TWS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Here's an eBay link to Dave's MAHL again probably cheaper to contact him through the forum here and I'd opt for the de-120 drivers which he offers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-K-79-76-792-LMAHL-V2-1-Pair-Dropin-Replacment-for-Klipsch-OEM-B-C-DE10/224152702930?hash=item34308acfd2:g:6jcAAOSwBF5d5TWS

I see two different drivers in his pictures, are these suppose to cover the Mid and High or are these just an example of what he offers. 

7 minutes ago, Bigfootexpert said:

I see two different drivers in his pictures, are these suppose to cover the Mid and High or are these just an example of what he offers. 

No they are both tweeters 2 options available the first pic is the de-10 and the second, which I recommend, is the de-120 with the smaller but more powerful neodymium magnet. 

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

That's the price per pair shipped I believe they're $365? Through his website 

I can deal with $365. However on his web page it states two different drivers for the Mids:  Atlas  PD-5VH and K-55M driver made by ElectroVoice

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_midrange.html