Type A xover shopping list...and questions

JBryan

I'm slowly putting together a list of parts and sources for the modified Type A xover that's recently been discussed on the BB. Here's what I've found so far:

-10uf x 630V PIO caps (6 for $25 from tonywelsh.com)

-4.0uf x630V PIO caps (6 for $20 from same)

-1.0uf x750V PIO caps (6 for $20 from same)

-2.2uf x400V Milspec caps (10 for $10...)

-1.0uf x 400V Milspec silver? caps (20 for $20...)

All these are russian surplus from the Ukraine and I hope to try several combinations to hear what works best. If anyone has suggestions for better caps, I'd love to hear about it.

-T2A autoformer (modiffied for the ALK) from Universal Transformer Co. (2 for $24)

I would like to use this part as opposed to the Klipsch T2A because its a bit less expensive and has more taps for adjusting the drivers output. The only problem is that I'm not sure how it can be used in the network to facilitate the adjustments. Any thoughts or guidance?

-AlphaCore air gap foil inductor - 2.7mH 14awg (2 for $56)

I've heard both good and bad responses to this inductor but the majority seem to like it better than the others. It's also been suggested that the Khorns woofer should be run directly w/o the inductor. I want to try it both ways - with and without batting in the cabinet as I can't find a definitive solution for the best bass response. Also, would it be of any benefit to install the inductor in the bass cabinet or just keep it with the xover?

I'm still shopping around for the other parts. I guess the Vampire posts are the better bargain at $4/pr compared to Cardas ($15/pr). I haven't decided whether to use CFO cooper or pure silver as hookup wire and I still haven't sourced a barrier strip so I can play with the taps. I'm sure I'm forgetting something so if anyone can point me in the right direction or suggest any other options, I'd be very appreciative. This will be my first foray into DIY and I hope this simple project doesn't prove to be to much for a novice like myself. Thanks ain advance for your suggestions and opinions, Bryan

I have ordered the inductors from Solen in Canada(2.4mh).

I have gone back to the original 13mf oil cap from my original type AA networks after trying some 13mf Multicaps and not liking them.

You can order the 2 mf Hovlands and the Solen inductors at partsconnexion.com .

I am about to try the original 2mf oil again because I've bought a pair of Altec-Lansing Big Red monitors with 604E super duplex drivers and Mastering Lab crossovers and now the Klipsch tweeter sounds a little hot.

I will report you in a few days.

Bryan, those caps look good.

for the 13uf, you could use three 4uf and one 1uf in parallel, and for the 2uf use two 1uf's in parallel. Not sure how much 'real estate' that would take up, but hey...

That would put you (for two crossovers) at six 4uF and six 1uF, which seems like Tony Welsh's magic number.

Don't forget $8 shipping in USA from Universal Transformer.

The 2.5mH coil is optional, IMHO. But might as well get it and you can decide for yourself.

Seems I have a dopple Ganger??? Wow! Jbryan,,,,bryanj???????????????/

Not much going on with me. I do use my Sherwood 20w/channel and center out for most of my listening on the La Scalas. One Eico drives my computer speakers!!!!:) My other Eico is kind of in "Sainthood" all repaired and awaiting a misson. Looked over the board and MH is leaving? Well, you know we all leave but come back for a visit:)!

BryanJ

Randy,

Thanks for the configuration suggestion. I would imagine that the xovers as you described would be LARGE but I'll try a few configs and decide what works best. I also have a few other caps around here somewhere that come into the equation as well. I figure that with upteen guitar amps laying around, I could always find a use for any spare caps and I don't plan on ordering too often from Tony so what the hey.

Tom, You're correct. The autoformers from Universal are $24ea. (with $8 shipping). My concern with that part is whether to hook it up as per the ALK and utilize the taps as Al designed or stick with the original T2A. I'm leaning toward the UT transformer since it will give me more options.

I went ahead and ordered the caps and transformer - now I can consentrate on the other parts. I'm going to find some decent wire (cooper, I think) and hopefully I can order the other parts from the same place and have everything shipped together. Then its just a matter of working up the confidence to get started. I'm certain there are some folks on this BB that could have already built 10 of these xovers in the time it takes me to decide which color wire to get, but like I said, this is my first project so a few moments of hesitation far outweigh the spectre of the big disappointment. Baby steps...

Thank you all for your advice and please keep those suggestions coming - I need all the help I can get as I'm still trying to source the other parts and figure out what it is that I'm doing. Bryan

Hi,

The size should not be a concern where you can always arrange it. More caps in parellel is better, I am thinking about have 13 amf russian oils caps if they sound good, 30 1 mf caps will complete the project. If you can accept payapl I can send you fund to conbime the order , we may get a better deal together, others in forum may also be interested. Tcc from UK is very good, anyone know what is the best NOS oil caps (no new Jensen please), let us know.

Concerning silver wire , I try many before that others are not for horn as suggested by Guy, except the silver wire from audio-consulting.ch who make silver rock potentiometer, it make the high even the mid a lot better than 8N space and time.

Concering the coils, no 2.5mh is available from solen, I suggest you forget it first because it may not be an essential parts, it is relatively expensive, you can but one when the bass is too much, TOO MUCH!?

Have fun you will be very happy, let the klipsch reborn.

I am about to finish converting the AL3 to type A in my office's LS, as the Belle sounds so good after AB2 to A.

Good luck

Tubelion

Tubelion,

I saw the caps on eBay but Anthony was more than fair with his pricing since I ordered several lots of his caps. 48 caps plus shipping for less than $100 - how could I possibly complain? Besides, not all his caps are on eBay so this seemed like a better solution. I appreciate your and Randy's suggestions about combining lower value caps in parallel and will definitely give it a try. That's one of the reasons I bought as many caps as I did. I guess I can clip different caps together in different configs until something clicks - then solder everything in place. I will also run the woofer without the inductor and see how that works out. If it doesn't pan out, I could always use the inductor(s) that are already in the bass cab until I can order an AlphaCore. Thanks again for all your help, Bryan

Guy,

Thanks for the tip. I think your suggestion makes good sense. I will rewire the drivers with AlphaCore MI2 and also use that to biwire the speakers so it seems logical to use cooper hook up wire in the xovers. I actually replaced the silver wire in my amp with cooper a few months ago for just the reason you described - it sounded too lean. Cooper did the trick. Thanks for the reminder. I have some Solen and Hovlands around from when my amps were modified but I don't think they're going to be compatable in a xover application. Of course, I'll never know until I find them. Thanks again, Bryan

Craig,

You're one of the guys I referred to as able to build a xover in his sleep. I pictured your workshop filled to the rafters with caps, resistors and trannies - all waiting for a future project. I will try out different cap combinations and hopefully be able to use the some of the remainder restoring some of the old guitar amps I have laying around. You're more than welcome to what I don't use - but you may have to wait a few months. With my skills, building those xovers will move along about as fast as molasses in winter. Feel free to email me privately (jbh@comcast.net). Thanks, Bryan

Hi,

I just have built the type A in the La Scala in one hour work, it sounds great in the first few minutes, because all the parts are old used ones, no need to run in, even it is of fair quality parts, all MIT caps, it is much much better than the AL3 which some claim similar to newer design. I will upload the photos later when I have time, just too excited to report it, From now on I have good music at my office too. My technician 's comment, how can these parts be used in the crossover!?

My shame to have tolerate the Belle for 10 years and the LS for almost 3 years. They are reborn.

Do it as soon as possible, every klipsch owner, even with fair quality parts only.

Tubelion

Well,

I have been listening to the Altec Big Reds for 2 weeks now and I am still amazed how balanced they are when compared to the Khorns.I have decided to try the original klipsch 2mf oil cap in my type A again,ET VOILA,I guess that I will leave them in my type A for good.

Kelly,

This photo is for you.

Regards,

Guy

post-5419-1381924575941_thumb.jpg