Craigmeister 299a

Deang

If those of you having dealt with Craig have not yet pulled the plate off the bottom to examine his art-work -- then I can tell you first hand the man has a gift.

It's amazing he's willing to expose himself to the sheer madness that lives under those amps. There's enough wire under those things to string a Christmas tree. The complexity of the circuits, and the amount of contact points involved, makes anything I've owned to date look like a 1st grade science project.

As I was telling Craig -- an aspect of going the vintage route that doesn't immediately come to mind, is the fact that these things were for the most part completely hand built. I mean, there just isn't anything going on in there that could have been automated. The extreme range of options provided on the panel, with the addition of a phono section -- to put all of this into the context of current day dollars is hard to imagine. ****** one of these up from ebay, have someone like Craig do his thing -- and not only do you have something that you cannot buy new, but even if you could -- it would easily cost you $3500.

I didn't get the Scott until late last night. Fedex came pounding on my door at 6:30. I'm fighting a chest cold and fever, and needed sleep more than anything. I didn't even break open the box. I got up around 9, and pulled her out. I'm a bit anal about asthetics -- and immediately went to work on her. I lost a half an hour because I couldn't pull myself away from Craig's soldering work. To think I whined about doing the DQ's. The only thing I would even remotely consider sticking into this rat's nest is a Q-tip, which I did. Actually, it was probably more like 30 of them. I used Q-tips and IPA, and CAREFULLY went over entire bottom of the chassis plate. Not that it was bad to begin with, but I wanted it all nice and shiney. Only a moron like me would even care about such a thing -- but I knew once I sealed it up, it was going to stay that way for a long time. I wanted a clean slate.

I then went to work on the wood case with lemon oil.

Next came the top chassis plate. The top of the chassis plate looked like what one would expect it to look like after 45 years. Again, nothing horrible -- but I wanted to give it a fresh look. I started with a 3M scratch pad (equivelant to .000 steel wool), and started rubbing out the imperfections. After this I took some 1500 grit cloth, and started polishing. The trick here is to only go in one direction, and it pretty much takes forever. I finished by taking the scratch pad to it again, so it would have the satin look it originally had. I did the same with the metal tube coverings (what the hell are those things called anyways). Cleanup consisted of taking a vacuum cleaner to every square inch (especially the tube sockets), and then a good wipe down with IPA and Windex. I finished at 2:30 in the morning.

I wish I had taken a digital picture of the bottom. I was just tired and felt like general crap -- and didn't even think about it until after it was all back together. I took some pictures of the finished product this morning -- and posted one for your viewing pleasure.

I haven't fired her up yet. I will do that later today. Since the Heresys won't be here until next week, I guess I'll just have to strap her to the RF7's and hope to God she doesn't sound as good as the Apollos.9.gif

post-3205-1381924578959_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the sound of it, you got a nice deal even with the premium ducats paid since Craig practically poured the kitchen sink into this, his own amp. Looks mighty nice. I have a pic he sent me awhile back of the internal view but I think this was before the Russian oil option.

Dean, if you have been reading the vintage comments I have posted recently (mostly dealing with the EICO HF-81 vs SET) you will see that there are some things the vintage amps, when optimized, do very well. They both have their strengths but I tend to like the vintage amps better than modern, lower cost push pull amps, and even some not so cheap (ie I preferred the EICO over the $1300 AES Super Amp). The vintage amps have a drive and richness that is very addictive. Some do sound quicker than others, hence my love of the EICO, but most vintage have a certain quality that a good many modern tube options lack.

It is my belief you will like the vintage take very much. I think the lower power SET amps have more of the lit from within, open quality than any of the push pull, vintage or not. But I will always have the vintage option not too far from my reach. I listen to one almost every morning.

kh

ps- Craigmeister? Lord,... Get some sleep.

Hurry, hurry, deang and get that scott hooked up to those rf7s, I cant wait to hear your responce.You have, and had a lot of tube amps to campare the scott too, and you are so good at putting how something sounds into words like a work of art.I thought about taking the bottum cover off of my scott to see Craigs work but chickend out afraid I would mess something up, so I didnt.Heck its fryday night, I think Ill fire up the scott tonight and spin some alblums.

"Dean, I cant wait to hear your responce.You have, and had a lot of tube amps to campare the scott too, and you are so good at putting how something sounds into words like a work of art"

Lordy, Dean! Your are getting some very fine compliments now!

What's interesting is to watch how this forum evolves over time with the ebb and flow of experience along with the new member perspective. We have watched this place come full circle with members swtiching from solid state to starting with tubes all the while becoming much more experienced with experimentation and listening. Who would have thought this place would play this way little over a year ago. It is amazing. The new members recently have also been a breath of fresh air and just as eager to learn and true new things (or old things new to them).

kh

Mobile,

It truely is funny how things work out. If someone would of said 5 years ago that I'd be soldering on Tube amps in a few years. I'd of said they were nuts LOL !! Once you and MDeneen and other talked me into getting one and having helped my Dad for years work on Ham units its all been like second nature ! I still have a long learning curve about these babies. But they are fun to work on and listen too. I'm starting to get sent different brands which is great !! I'm currently working on a Fisher X202 they are completely different than a Scott. Almost overwhelming !! They really cram the parts in them ! I'll be working on it later this weekend it really doesn't need all that much. I like the sound of it with CD's but don't care for the Phono section much yet almost seems muffled.

Deang,

Man I want that amp back I can't believe how you made it shine !! I really might want to send my 299B for a once over to you !! Oh deang we really should get together on the phone and walk you thru Biasing that amp since you may have moved those pots before you use it much.

Craig

Craig, man, I'd love to play tonight but I'm sick as hell. I broke down and went to the doctor, who put me on some antibiotics for the first time since '97. I usually work weekends, but took off tomorrow to rest my sorry rear. What's going on tomorrow? Any chance we can do this then? BTW, if you want me scratch the piss out of your 299b with my magic paper -- send it over!

Kelly, actually, I just take everything you said a year ago and regurgitate it. I have learned a bunch over the last year. I still think you are primarily responsible for the complete metamorphasis of the 2-channel forum. Thanks for dragging the whole lot of us kicking and screaming into the world of hot glass. You are a pain in the arse sometimes, but damn -- this forum loses something significant when you sit out.

I second DEANGs comments.

I still cannot find my rump with both hands when it comes to understanding 60% of the tube stuff on this forum.

BUT

I would be more of a lost ball in the high weeds without listening to you guys.

No luck in Mexico finding a deal yet.

Chorus II still very nice until the SS amp gets shrill at "9:30" on the attenuator.

Mobile,

As much as personality's clash I would have to agree with Dean. When your not around this forum just isn't the same. There's just something about your arrogant tush that makes this place complete. Oh now I feel all warm and fuzzy 1.gif

Craig

Deang,

Tomorrow would be fine just shoot me a email when your avialable and we can learn you the bias procedure. Shouldn't take long my cell phone is free long distance so I can call you if that's better.

Deang rest and get better, let those ears of yours rest, a person can just not listen to music and feel bad at the same time, it really sucks. Give us all a full review of this scott 299a when you get better. Good God I hope its tomorrow,I cant wait, LOL.

I've been away for a bit but wanted to chime in ....

Craig, nice work on the Scott. Almost make me warm and fuzzy knowing I have a NOS440 modified Eico..

Dean - Between Craig with his soldering skills and you with the cosmetic finishing, you got a primo unit there.

Audio Flynn - Where about in Mexico are you? My brother lives there.

Mobile - I second the comments about you making the forums what they are all about. BTW: I picked up the hi-fi book you suggested awhile back. So far it's great read.

-tb

TBABB,

When in Mexico I primarily "hang" in Telapantla a northern suburb of Mexico City and Saltillo in the north.

To a lesser degree in Monterry, Puebla, Guadalahara, and Querretero.

I was informed by my Mexican customers after 9 years of travel down there I am no longer a gringo; I am an Adopted Mexican.

I know too much I cannot pretend to be the stupid gringo to get out of work related action items.

Your brother have a favorite tequila?

Rick

Okay, I'll jump in here on a few points too ... It's past 1 a.m. (which is REALLY late for me), but I'm trying to burn off some jet lag and put this day in the archives for later review. Cryptic, but I really don't want to go into it ... Let's just say the day "started with a bang" ...

Mobile/Kelly has been -- for me -- a great sounding board, facilitator, catylist, motivator, et alia ... I was, as were a few of us on this board, doing the "random walk" in the tube area when he came along and put a vector on the whole thing. He's didactic by nature -- a teacher -- and I never had a good one who wasn't opinionated out the wazoo! Stylistically -- we are all different -- but the only fault I find in my interaction with him was that I didn't listen CAREFULLY to him earlier. I am ashamed to admit this because I quietly take pride in my listening skills and try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible --- I frequently tell my sales guys, "If you talking, you're not learning anything ..." "Ask a good question, and listen hard without bias ..." Anyhow, the man balances stuff with the best of them ... not sure how he does it ... maybe the fact that he can exist weeks/months/years on end on three hours sleep a night has something to do with it.

Craig, yes, I pulled the bottom panel off my Eico as well and looked at what good came from that rat's nest I sent him ... It was impressive and the next time I'm in Michigan (Sunday night), I should buy him a good bottle of Scotch or whatever his favorite poison is ... He does stuff I don't/can't do ... and does it with a smile and aplomb ...

This place truly is a family ... dysfunctional at times, but what family isn't?

Cheers. I think I'll try to sleep now :)

---------

BTW, just flipped the avatar ... Thought I'd give dad a shot at the internet :) He never knew it.

This is freaky.

My buddie and I split a pint of Crown Royal in the parking lot of the Palace last Tuesday before the Peter Gabriel concert at The Palace Auburn Hills, Michigan.

I do not drink much whisky as I get into my 40s; but it is my favorite.

And CAnadian Rye is much less expensive than scotch.

Did not know Craig lived in Michigan.