power cable upgrades?

prodj101

Proj,

My system is dead quiet without specially shielded power cables for digital components. I do use multiple Panamaxes. They provide about 50 db of noise reduction as well as protection from power spikes. I particularly like the fact that they will shut the system down if there is a sustained over or under voltage situation. Plain surge supressors do not cut it in my view.

The over priced power cables for digital equipment are merely shielded with braided copper. You seem to be excellent in doing it your self. Why not give it a try?

Bill

the whole problem with the power cable question is that i fails to take into account the miles and possibly hundreds of miles of power lines that bring the power to your house. how can a six foot "speciality power cable" really affect the power for your component????

if you are intersted in purchasing a high end power cable i have two or three bridges that you might be interested in.....

the end result is that you get the same thing.....lol1.gif

*If* you have a properly designed power supply, anything that goes on before the PS cannot affect you component or its sound. If you don't have a good PS, a power cable cannot make any difference. Ask the power cable seller/manufacturer how it does what they claim it does. Listen for B.S., it'll be there.

Some high-end components, in my case it's my McCormack DNA-1 Power Amplifier,

are very sensitive to better power cables... your basic Department Store receiver is most likely not going to know the difference.

As for the miles and miles for the electricity to travel; with the quality components to which I am referring, it's the last few feet that are the most important (kind of like the sprint at the end of the race...).

If naysayers don't believe, they most likely have not listened to every combination of components on the market, or they are not aurally equipped to hear the difference. This may sound snobbish or elitist (I prefer the term "discriminating"), but people who spend the amount of money on audio like the Klipsch owners on this forum are like that 1.gif .

chuckears,

i would love to see some electrical theory that explains

"As for the miles and miles for the electricity to travel; with the quality components to which I am referring, it's the last few feet that are the most important (kind of like the sprint at the end of the race...)."

i am not an electrical engineer but i do know a little about electric theory. i have never heard of any theory that will explain what you assert.

For what it is worth I use UltraLink,Chang powercords on just about each component with a detachable powercord!Even my subs use UltraLink power cords.I know this will not help sub performance,the cable change cannot be identified.Still its fun to have a system using better quality power cables.

Power conditioners like the Panamax,Chang,PS Audio and Monster however do improve performance,it can be heard.Powercables may improve performance on some amps,on other amps they bring NOTHING audible.

Its up to you,if you have the money why not.

"...If naysayers don't believe, they most likely have not listened to every combination of components on the market..."

I guess this statement infers that you have? Yeah, right. Even if someone exists that has done this (and

I'm sure they don't), it would have completely no bearing on the subject.

"...or they are not aurally equipped to hear the difference."

If one believes they will hear a difference -- they will. If they do not -- they don't. I'm quite sure the Forum Members have adequate hearing to determine the impact of various changes in their systems.

"This may sound snobbish or elitist (I prefer the term discriminating), but people who spend the amount of money on audio like the Klipsch owners on this forum are like that"

It doesn't sound 'snobbish', it sounds ignorant. Actually, the great majority of us here are NOT like that at all. Klipsch owners for the most part don't spend near the money that true high-enders do. Klipsch owners are about seeking the highest level of musicality -- without resorting to "non-sense".

At any rate, most of what constitutes electricity is already in the conductor. Electrons do not "flow" down a cable. The electrons vibrate, and come in contact with each other -- which then advances an electrical field. I think people who spend more on cables and power conditioning than the components they are attached to -- really need to re-evalutate why they are into this hobby.

If we add 4 feet of brand new hose to the end of an 'old', dilapitated garden house -- what "changes" about the water?

I agree that some basic conditioning is necessary to filter out noise from other devices on the same circuit -- but anything beyond that is B.S. -- and I'm pretty sure that's what PWK would say.

Oh, man, I hate when the text of my posts is quoted in other peoples messages; sort of a "Here's what this idiot said, now this is why it was utter bulls*&t...

... I went to the trouble to defend myself point by point, but didn't like the way it looked when I posted, so I edited it out.

Suffice to say that I hear a difference with different cables with my system... I trust that others do, also; I tend to agree with many of the descriptions I have read about the differences heard using different cables.

I also don't think I need to hear every one of the nearly infinite combination of components to state that I hear differences with the changes I have made; and am willing to pay a very small percentage of the total cost of my system to acheive those changes.

BTW, a statement in and of itself cannot "infer". An individual can infer, but I think you meant "imply".

Pronunciation: (in-fûr'),

v., -ferred, -ferring.

v.t.

1. to derive by reasoning; conclude or judge from premises or evidence: They inferred his displeasure from his cool tone of voice.

2. (of facts, circumstances, statements, etc.) to indicate or involve as a conclusion; lead to.

3. to guess; speculate; surmise.

4. to hint; imply; suggest.