I have just built the DIY Adire Audio Tempest 214L subwoofer....Holy S#$%!!!

BLOOMIS914

After many months of deliberation and subwoofing homework, I decided to go the DIY route. I did much research at HTFORUM, AVSFORUM and here.

Before this project I have been using the following Klipsch speakers and subs.

MAIN ROOM:

Marantz SR-8000

KLF-30's

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

Dish Network PVR-508 W/60 hour hard drive

Mitsubishi 35"

Toshiba 5-disc dvd

BASEMENT THEATRE:

Chorus II's

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front sub

KSW-100 Rear sub

Pioneer VSX-811S DTS-ES/DD receiver used as PRE/PRO

Parasound HCA-806 6 channel AMP

JVC XV-90BK 7 disc DVD/CD changer

Panamax 1000+ line conditoner/surge protector

S-VHS VCR

16 x 9 LCD Projector Studio Experience SE-13HD

Da-Lite Hi Contrast 52" x 92" screen

Dish Network Model 6000 Hi-Def receiver for Sat and OTA

Anyway, I had a friend build me the box as he is a custom carpenter and we used the plans for Adire Alignment 214L right form the white papers on the Adire website. I bought the Tempest 15" driver from Adire for $162 shipped, the Parts Express 250W plate amp (300-794) for $119, two port tubes for $11 each and the polyfill for $6 at Wal-Mart.

Well, I really didn't expect much from this sub but many had said it would smoke my KSW-15 and make it cry in shame. Well, to all that I doubted, I apologize. This sub has the tightest, lowest, loudest SPL I have heard from any sub less than $1,000, maybe more. I have run numerous test DVD's and compared with my KSW-15 and it is like comparing Klipsch Quintets to my KLF-30's. I could not be happier and more impressed. The cabinet as it stands complete is 37.5" tall with legs and 22" by 22" square. It is big!!!! For comparison, my KSw-15 is approx. 17.5" x 17.5" x 20" tall.

I ran some Bass Mekanik test tones through it with the plate amp volume at about 6 of 10 and at around 20 HZ not much could be heard but my house started shaking violently.....literally..It was rattling everything in my house including my innards.

I am going to try and post the link below for all to see pics but not sure how to do. So give it a shot and let me know what you think. Cabinet is 3/4" MDF with a walnut veneer on the full 4 x 8 sheets and turned out perfect and is sprayed with a coat of sealer, 2 coats of black lacquer and a top coat of clear. All internal/external pieces were mitre cut and secured using would glue with clamps. All Internal seams were sealed with silicone adhesive as well as port tubes and driver. This baby is air tight and probably weighs around 175-200 pounds. It is solid as a brick s-house and filled with 64oz. of polyfill.

I could not be happier and look forward to TheEars and others regarding critical comments on actual specs this sub will generate. I have a RS SPL meter and test tracks but have never really tried to measure anything as far as output goes. Any suggestions so I can post numbers?? Any feedback on what this sub may compare best to? How about SVS or M & K, Paradigm, Velodyne or Klipsch RSW series?

Here goes with my DIY 214L Tempest 15" Subwoofer link:

http://www.ofoto.com/Slideshow2.jsp?index=1&UV=531247576485_32052340703&collid=63232959603

You will have to cut and paste this link since I don't how to get it to go direct...Can anyone reformat it for me and post as a direct click link?

Thanks, Brett

9.gif

Sean, Thanks a lot, I assume the link works OK then...I can honestly say that this sub from the outside looks MUCH nicer than the build quality of my KSW-15. All the corners mate perfectly with no evidence of any joints or seams. No nails/brads were used on the outside of the box and the only screws were used were on the bottom for the driver, ports and the actual bottom plate to secure to the box.

I still look forward to comments on this subs relative performance to other's.

WOW!!!...I am very very impressed. The build quality does look top notch. Very nice job. I wish I could have the tools and time to build something like that. By the way what was the final price of contructing that thing? I see with the amp and the driver you come close to $300.

I also love your hometheatre, very nice indeed. About one of the finest homemade hometheatre's that I have seen on the net. Damn those chairs look comfy as hell. By the way how much did that screen and the projector cost? Finally when the hell are you going to build me that hometheatre and sub huh!!!

Thanks guys. BKROP, I think others could order photos of my pics if they want but it is a free host site so I never gave any personal info or cc info. So if they order pics they will have to give their personal and cc info.

Elgrillo- thanks a lot. I have right around $305 into the hardware and I paid my buddy $100 to do all the capentry work and assemble everything but the bottom and spray/sand the finish. he didn't want to charge me anything but he said that it would probably be around $400 approx. for someone off the street if they wanted him to cut, assemble and paint. I installed everything related to the amp. driver, ports, polyfill and bottom. Thanks for noticing my chairs also, the two outside chairs in the front row recline fully the one in the middle doesn't. Both chairs in the 2nd row recline. I have found it difficult to stay awake if I recline these very much and if it is late!! The projector and screen were a package deal and were just under $6K combined one year ago. The same PJ and screen can be had right now for under $5K. If you are thinking of spending $3-4K on a RPTV, you should strongly reconsider and look at the Picture quality, SIZE and real feel a Front PJ system will give you for not much more money.

Arfz28- I notice you have K-Horns and a DIY Sonotube...Awesome. My setup sounds very good with music also, even better when I use my JVC DVD-Audio system. Chorus II's are highly regarded for 2-CH stereo, I think right there with my KLF-30's but not in the same league as your K-Horns. Thanks.

Congratulations,very nice work! 1.gif Nice finish too,the sub is BIG.A good thing when building DIY subs,you always get BIG performance for a few $.And looks like you have a solid box,shoult not have any audible cabinet noise.Now the driver has room to work and perform at its best.

Great job

BTW,I am sure this sub demolishes any KSW and defeats any RSW easy down low.No EQ is needed on this baby.Now imagine a Tumult or two with proper amplification! 6.gif

Ear, I appreciate your positive comments as you own or compared more subs than I can think of!!

I would like to build another one of these, not necessarily the Tempest though. Ear, what would be the next step up in performance without a huge hit in costs?? I have been reading about the Tumult and it sounds like its #'s aren't much different than the Tempest but it can handle more power, be built in a smaller enclosure and put up bigger SPL's provided larger amplification.

I really want to build a Tempest Sonotube to experience the SVS concept and I think I could build this a lot faster and with less finish concerns. Just tube, driver, port, top and bottom endcaps with amp and legs.

What commercial subs do you think my 214L Tempest is equal to from a performance standpoint??

Whoa!! DustinB, thanks for the response. I knew when I first pushed the thing that it was a heavy hitter but I don't have any reference points other than my KSW-15 which honestly doesn't even compare. I am pleased to hear that it is in good company.

Does anyone have data of a SVS Ultra vs. Tempest 214L AA??? In regards to Frequency/SPL output.

Thanks, guys.

What commercial subs compare to your giant sub? Well if one is looking at the whole picture the SVS Ultra(SS)in output.

The Revel B15 provides at least as much if not more SPL down to 25-30Hz,below this your big sub should take over.The Velodyne HGS18 also should be its equal...here again to 25Hz and then it drops fast.Price to pay for a small box,sealed driver with heavy EQ boost too keep the response quite flat down low.

The Aerial would fit too,it only uses a 12" like the SVS Ultra but with its longer linear it can keep up.Down very low,below 20Hz I think your giant sub takes an easy win.There is no substitute for cubic inches with subs.A big driver in a big cabinet powered by even a modest amp will outperform a small heavuduty driver in a small cabinet powered by a mighty amp.

As for the poor KSW15 being compared to the beast?! LOL No wonder your DIY monster whips the KSW down the floor.I compared my KSW15 against ...just the RSW15.The RSW takes an easy lead,and when the Revel B15 takes center stage...its a massacre,Texas chainsaw style. 3.gif

I think if you want more performance,and not having to buy a monster amp to power the sub the Tumult is out of the question.A Maelstrom would provide you with more SPL per watt and has a higher power handling.NOt a big gain here around 3dB more with the amp you use now.If you switched amps a solid 6dB could be realsitic.Still the performance level you have now is quite high.

The Tumult looks mighty impressive,I need to get two soon.9.gif DIY time

If you build a 214L sonotube with a pair of 3" flared ports just like your Adire allignment it will sound exactly the same as what you have right now. The shape of the enclosure makes no difference. All that matters is the net internal volume and the porting. Within reason of course, I'm assuming what you build is built well, and that you don't shink two dimensions as much as possible and make the third one more than 6'.