Heresy 2 Dampening Placement Advice

Lets get this out of the way immediately. I am going to do it regardless of what you say for the sole purpose of experimenting. Any advice on placement is what I want.

I have the thinner fiberglass insulation in a roll...My question is where do you think I should start? Line the walls? cut up the insulation and loosely put it in? leave room behind the subwoofer (no dampening at all behind it)? top? bottom? Wrapped around the top of the sub like the factory?

I've read all about the polyfil, just curious what I should do with this insulation I somehow didn't get charged for at the hardware store.

I am not a purist, I have DE120 tweeters coming in (bought the heresys and they had 4 ohm pyle garbage glued to the horns), I plan to upgrade the woofers because one of them has a tear (not audible yet) the cabs arent in great shape, the caps have bob crites caps I just installed, squaker is original, paid 160 canadian for them but with the upgrades I might be at 5-600 one day. 

Soooo, what is your opinion. 

I am concerned of placement of the insulation. on the walls, loose, openings for woofer and mid, teach me, I am 32 years old in a few days and would appreciate any advice from someone who has had success with improving the sound from a heresy 2. Dare I say improve the bass???

I know all about the subwoofer recommendation, just let me try it this way for myself.

I know all about how big the cabinets are. I am bored and willing to try.

Getting the Delta subs is a possibility one day too, keep that in mind.

Thanks

• Like 2

honestly man, I am sifting through the comments in other posts of people saying why not to. I want to. if it is better its better. if not, take it out. 

Appologies, everyday life now a days has made me bitter. I need a project and this is it. 

What I mean by that comment is the purists leaving comments about how it will not benefit anything and how the designers didnt design it that way. sorry for the confusion

Edited by ummagumma-89
clarification

There's no subwoofer in your Heresys, just a woofer.

Most speakers that have foam or other materials in their cabinets have it on three sides.  In a sealed cabinet like your Heresys, something like the bottom, one side and the back would work.

thanks man, 

from what i have gathered today in hours of forum discussions regarding klipsch, if you are going to do it, do it that way. 

Have also heard people say to leave 1 parallel wall untouched. I assume dampen bottom, rear panel and one side wall and leave a sidewall bar wood. Any thoughts on that?

One of my speakers had the original foam wrapped around the woofer blocking the upper mid/tweeter frequencies. it disintegrated when we took it apart to change the caps. what about leaving the top chamber empty, wrap insulation or whatever around top of woofer, and insulating bottom, rear and sides up to the mid area only. 

Anyone think this is crazy? don't worry, I already know I am. 

23 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

One of my speakers had the original foam wrapped around the woofer blocking the upper mid/tweeter frequencies. it disintegrated when we took it apart to change the caps. what about leaving the top chamber empty, wrap insulation or whatever around top of woofer, and insulating bottom, rear and sides up to the mid area only. 

Anyone think this is crazy? don't worry, I already know I am. 

all you need is foam sound insulation around the woofer between the midrange horn and the woofer , that basically avoids for the Lower frequencies  to bounce on the mids horn and the  tweeter horn -  the rest , is ok , because the enclosure is sealed    -

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ummagumma-89 said:

thanks man, 

from what i have gathered today in hours of forum discussions regarding klipsch, if you are going to do it, do it that way. 

Have also heard people say to leave 1 parallel wall untouched. I assume dampen bottom, rear panel and one side wall and leave a sidewall bar wood. Any thoughts on that?

Well, not to be overly silly or anything, but if you can hear the difference between different walls of the speaker you have some serious chops…

1 hour ago, ummagumma-89 said:

That's essentially what I was saying.  🙂

For anyone interested, i received my B&C DE-120 tweeters and added very thin wish.com egg carton squares on roof of cab, sidewalls/rear wall directly behind squaker, and added maybe 70 percent of loose fiberglass insulation. left the rest of cab walls without the wish.com squares. 

Also angled them up a little more.

The bass is more pronounced for sure, but now I feel it sounds "Middy". Squakers are stock, caps have been changed, no crossover configuration at all. Amp is a cambridge audio axr-100 flat bass and treble.

These were always middy anyway, but now wondering if there is too much dampening.

Perhaps remove some fiberglass

maybe keep some padding in the woofer area, wrap the top of the woofer with padding (like they came) and leave top chamber empty with no wish .com squares or fiberglass

Maybe i'm crazy. (guaranteed)

I am just interested in tinkering with these. bass improvement was somewhat important. 

Do these plastic horns really benefit from dampening? I can't see that being the case

Stepping down the squaker a bit in the crossover?

Clearly not sure what I expect from any of this, but am glad to learn along the way. This year has been tough on me, so any project to keep me occupied is helping. 

Any more suggestions welcome

• Like 2

Trying running them without any loose fiberglass just the egg crate squares that's usually how I go the loose stuffing slows down the air inside the cabinet making it respond like it's a larger space changing the dynamics of the speaker

• Like 1