Cornwall I Cabinet Refresh Advice ?

SonofJames

Hello, Retired newbie here. Looks like I will be picking up a pair of Cornwall I's this weekend. The cabinets could use a refresh. I do not have a shop, but I do have some basics like steel wool, Howard's Feed & Wax, etc. I have had Howard's fade on me in the past on other cabinets. Looking for advice to do a fairly easy cabinet refresh I would be happy with. Thank you kindly.

Edited by SonofJames
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the Cornwalls 

On the back will a sticker indicating the finish on the cabinet (eg OO or WL etc). The first letter is the wood (oak, walnut etc) and the second letter is the finish (Oil, lacquer etc). Have a look at that first. 

Good luck, -Tom

• Like 1

Still amazed at the number of folks that recommend Howard's Feed n Wax be used on Heritage speakers.   The stuff is not a finish and is not a wax and will have to be removed if you plan on applying a new finish or repairing an existing finish on the speakers- especially important if trying to apply something like poly over it.  Not looking for an argument with the Howard's adherents.  It's not a finish.  It's an oily shit-mess.  The best advice here is @PrestonTom-  find out what the factory finish is and go from there.  

• Like 2

Well I ended up nabbing a pair in MUCH better condition than the beater Cornwall's that got sold on me.

These are CD-BR

ser 145747 and 50

They have the tags and the ser also embossed in the wood on the back.

What year would these be ?

They have a  couple of nicks and the covering is coming off the side of one of risers. Not much to do with the finish I think other than to  shine them up and clean the connectors. The left dust cap has a mark but doesn't not seem to effect preformance

I need to tilt them back a little bit and replace some of the velcro for the screens.

Might visit the Crites Crossover upgrade kits ?

00G0G_9GIgsxdjlKHz_0CI0t2_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e1b8ce629bca369a16756d888accaaed.jpg

01616_8UBTRI5SFjfz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_7vxFsQ3bXt6z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00U0U_dcQMwkDLvFlz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Edited by SonofJames
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, SonofJames said:

CD-BR

ser 145747 and 50

What year would these be ?

Crossover upgrade kits ?

the serial no of these Decorator  Cornwalls  may be 1978  , because of the trim around the front grilles  ----------my guess is the Serial number is 14S747 -and 14S750 , so non consecutive -

as far as the crossovers ,  @JEM Performance   can supply you with klipsch OEM Capacitors -it's the klipsch sound     https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 1

Any tips on keeping the cabinets polished ? The seem to be cherry with a coat of poly perhaps ?

Also there is a good amount of air leaking from the edges around the back panel, after I get the caps updated would you seal the backs ?

Edited by SonofJames