Sony Omners Beware!

Lone Palm

Monday night I watched a movie. When the movie was over I switched from the DD mode to video1 to watch some Monday Night Football. THE VOLUME WAS WIDE OPEN! The volume knob had no effect! It's a STR-DE 875,definately not a cheapy. Now the only sound it makes is small electronic clicking sounds as I turn the volume knob. Thank God for Klipsch.Any lesser speaker would have thrown the woofers out into the living room floor.I will never buy another Sony product again. So I'm back to two channel with a 25 year old Kenwood. I did not have it turned up that loud,it did this on it's own. Shame on Sony for selling products that last just over a year!

----------------

On 12/12/2002 10:23:09 AM Lone Palm wrote:

Thank God for Klipsch.Any lesser speaker would have thrown the woofers out into the living room floor.

----------------

I am sorry, I am not making light of your terrible experiance 4.gif, but the visual of your statement just about made me spit coffee all over my desk.9.gif

I think like a lot of older names with good reputations...they have sold a lot of new consumer models that most serious people would consider sub par, or at least we can agree, average products.

That said, the higher end ES line still seems to get great reviews, and lots of installers and customers seem to agree too.

I just got the new issue of Sound&Vision today, and in it was a review of the Sony STR-DA4ES seven channel a/v receiver. I noticed in the tests that they could not do an "all channels driven" power test. Sony told them the receiver ($999 list) was not designed to deliver full power to all channels simultaneously. I suppose that in the real world, there would seldom be a problem with that, particularly with high-sensitivity speakers like Klipsch. But it does indicate an ever-increasing willingnes on the part of manufacturers to "build down" their products in the name of cost savings. Again, that's probably fine for us Klipsch owners, but pity the fool who tries to crank his Maggies or other low-sensitivity speakers to life-like levels with demanding material. It may not blow up, but I sure bet it'll shut itself down. Oh, well, I guess that's why they put those pre-out jacks on there.9.gif

talktoKeith,I don't understand what you mean by color coded "wares" but I do understand how to connect components,having done so for thirty years. There is nothing I did to cause this receiver to open it's self up. It was a horrifying experience. Imagine your power supply at maximum volume with no way to turn it down other than switching modes then turning off the power.I do have an out though,seems that this receiver has a two year warranty if I don't have a service rep asking me if I have color coded wares.

"all channels driven" power test. Sony told them the receiver ($999 list) was not designed to deliver full power to all channels simultaneously

James I have been harping on this for a couple of years now.

If a manufacturer is not stating "all channels driven" they are hiding the underbuilt condition.

Sony for source(CD, DVD, SACD) or TVs; NOT for power!

I've pretty much gone on record as being a Sony fan; At least, a Sony ES fan. Yet, I would not argue with the statements I've seen here lately about the "cheapening" of many of Sony's products. BUT, I think that this is really a trend in mass-market consumer electronics in general, and not just a Sony thing. I mean, look at what the industry is packing into these A/V receivers, nowadays: 5, 6 or 7 channels of amplification, a tuner, plus all the digital bells and whistles. And many sell for under three-hundred bucks! Some people (not me!) pay more than that for a pair of speaker cables. So, something has to give. And in the case of many mass-market receivers, that something is a big, heavy amplifier.

Now here's my big but9.gif...

BUT, many high-falutin' audiophools are driving their klipsch speakers with little tube amps that can barely put out a clean 10 Watts per, and they think they're livin LARGE!

My point is that high sensitivity 8 ohm speakers are generally going to be easyeasyeasy to drive. Massive amps are just GROSS OVERKILL. I've sat and listened to my k-horns rock the house, and when I've actually checked the spl at the listening position, it's often just peaking at maybe 90 dB or so. So even allowing for the drop-off with distance from the speakers, I'm probably not even using 1W of amp power ON PEAKS!!! So we klipsch-heads have got a tremendous dividend on our loudspeaker investment- call it the "sensitivity" dividend. We can take an A/V receiver the dyed-in-the-wool audiophools wouldn't use to wipe their boots on, and just GO TO TOWN!16.gif ... just my 2cents worth...again.