did my friend get scammed?

arena

a while ago i bought a pair of rp3s, and they sound so good that my friend has been trying to get a hold of a pair ever since. i guess he couldn't wait because two days ago he purchased a 5.1 system for $250, but i'm worried he got scammed (he doesn't know too much about speakers). here are the things that lead me to believe he wont be getting his money's worth:

1) they are "digital audio" speakers

i've found that any speaker that has "digital", "audio", or "reference" written on the cabinet is terrible.

2) the speaker has "800 watts of power" written on the side as well.

800 watts at what, 25% harmonic distortion?

3) he purchased them out of the back of a van.

no comment

4) the guy he bought them from said they retailed for $2200

retail price isn't an indication of speaker quality (aka bose)

5) the box the speakers are packaged in has "$2200 retail price" written on the side.

i've never seen this before

6) the "manual" included in the box does not list the frequency response of the speakers.

when the manufacturer doesn't release frequency response specs, there is usually a reason (again, bose)

basically this sounds like the oldest scam in the book, but i was just wondering if there is anyway my friend will not end up feeling completely ripped off.

(by the way, he is now asking me what 5.1 reciever he should get to hook these up to, so he may end up being out even more than $250).

It sounds like he was scammed but ....?

Do the speakers have a brand name ? Dogg Digital and Audiofile are 2 that come to mind as being routinely sold out of the back of a van. Do a search under "White van scam" and you will turn up items all over the net about this issue.

If your friend has been hosed there is likely nothing he can do about it as the marketing practices practices used by the white van scammers while deceptive is not actually illegal anywhere that I am aware of.

Another brand that shows up in the "white van scam" is "Denmark".

And no, all hope may not be lost, if you move quick. I think there are some laws which require a 72 hour refund policy on such purchases. I saw a discussion about this on hometheaterforum.com a while back. These sellers work out of an office, and a few have had success getting refunds if you can find the office they work out of. A visit to the office may result in a refund, if you are persistent. BE A PEST!!!! Do a search at HTF for "white van scam". Someone posted a list of addresses for some of the offices, (or a link with that list, can't remember which). I know it's in there, but I don't have time to find it right now.

My nephew got scammed this way and for alot more money. He loved my Klipsch horn loaded speakers and the imfamous white van approached him at a stop light. Well he paid a boat load for these cheap speakers because they had a horn and said $2000 retail. They really don't sound all that bad but he could of bought Klipsch for the money he spent and really had some descent speakers. Your friend sounds like he actually didn't do horibly bad but they are for from anything Klipsch offers I'm sure.

Craig

If he'd like a matching pair for rear surround speakers, this morning's Arizona Republic classifieds section has the following:

Brand new never been used

Dogg Digital Audio Prof.

Home Thetr. Spkr system.

800W, blk, 6 spkrs. Bought

and can't afford, lists 4

$2000,asking 1000 obo 602

432-8631

Your friend is not alone!

DD

"6) the "manual" included in the box does not list the frequency response of the speakers.

when the manufacturer doesn't release frequency response specs, there is usually a reason (again, bose)"

Well, when I got my Klipsch KLF-30's new they came with no frequency response curves whatsoever. When I asked Trey (Klispch support) to email me the curves he stated that Klipsch does not provide this information, in fact, he wouldn't even send me the curve for my old Cornwalls, even though when the speaker was first produced Klipsch did provide it. Is the frequency response published with the Reference line?

The fact that Klipsch won't publish frequency response curves anymore bothers me. They used to back in the day.

Mace

Edit Clarification: The frequency response was listed with my KLFs, just not the response over the whole spectrum.