Klipsch Forte Question

Texhog43

New poster, please be gentle.....

I owned a set of Forte II for years (loved them...) and sold them as we were preparing to move and new home did not have a suitable location for them.

Yesterday, I acquired a pair of original Forte speakers from an estate sale, and would appreciate an opinion on what to do with them.....

The cabinets are are water stained on top and they came  from a place where the homeowner smoked.

The speaker covers are ratty, but the speakers sound......great!!

I don't think I can keep them, and I am curious if it would be better to put them on eBay for local pickup or sell the parts??

On the Crites site, they suggest the first generation crossovers in the Forte line are better (?) than subsequent generations....so maybe there is a demand for the cossovers as well as the induvidual speaker comonents.

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Texhog

• Like 1

You first have to decide if you want to keep them or not. I don't think I could deal with anything that has been around heavy smoking. Yuck.

People here tend to frown on parting stuff out, but if the cabinets are damaged and smell like hell ...

23 hours ago, Texhog43 said:

New poster, please be gentle.....

I owned a set of Forte II for years (loved them...) and sold them as we were preparing to move and new home did not have a suitable location for them.

Yesterday, I acquired a pair of original Forte speakers from an estate sale, and would appreciate an opinion on what to do with them.....

The cabinets are are water stained on top and they came  from a place where the homeowner smoked.

The speaker covers are ratty, but the speakers sound......great!!

I don't think I can keep them, and I am curious if it would be better to put them on eBay for local pickup or sell the parts??

On the Crites site, they suggest the first generation crossovers in the Forte line are better (?) than subsequent generations....so maybe there is a demand for the cossovers as well as the induvidual speaker comonents.

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!

Texhog

welcome to the forum, lots of good advice here & some not so good... 

can you post pics of the speakers? usually water stains & not too deep scratches can be sanded out & re oil or clear to look nice & grilles can be cleaned in the shower or outside with a hose & light detergent like dawn dish soap.  as mentioned the smoke issue can be mostly wiped clean & will fade or go away after some time.

ebay is an option but you have to pay fees when they sell & deal with possible shady buyers that can be overly picky ^ file a claim or leave negatoive feedback,  best to list them here or other audio groups where buyers are mostly honest & know what these speakers are,  should get lots of interests in the garage sale section if/when you decide to sell them.  but if you want another set of speakers & you got a good deal, might want to consider freshening them up & keeping them.    

• Like 1

I would suggest removing all of the drivers, and wipe down the interiors of the cabinets as well as the drivers with a mild white vinegar solution.  You could wipe down the exteriors with Murphy's Oil soap, but not letting that solution sit on the cabinets for very long at all.  Additionally, placing the drivers and cabinets in sunlight for a day will help to remove the smoke smell, but likely not all of it.  You can use an upholstery cleaner on the grill fabric.

Ebay sounds great , local pickup -some smoke  around their speakers -some do  not   what bothers you , may not bother somebody else - 

if the smoke odor bothers you a lot ,  , and  you wanna keep the speakers --  do this ;

-- wipe the inside/outside of the cabs with a watered down solution  of Dettol or Mr Clean  or Lysol  or Pine Sol , etc  , wipe the plastic horns -

--this will sanitize , and deodorize  at the same time  , and the cleaner's will overpower the staunch smell  of cigarettes ---a few days aired out ,  all odors will be gone -

-  forte grilles use a plastic frame , you can replace the ratty fabric very easily-- take out the badges -then re-apply new speaker fabric  with spray on glue ,  the badges can be re-glued with double sided tape -

On 5/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, billybob said:

You would be surprised what a wipedown would do.

If sound good, remove the grilles and give a bath.

Garage may work for you or other.

Craigslist local is an idea.

Welcome!

Many thanks for the feedback, have wiped the Forte's down and re-oiled them.  And listened to them a bunch.  They won't be going anywhere.....just need to re-arrange a few things.  Also, will be hosing down the covers to see how they will clean up.  Many thanks for the feedback!

• Thanks 1