Quick Question, Quick Help

justin_tx_16

I am bored...

So I am going to build a Sonosub. Yay right?

$125 for the Adire Audio Shiva 12" Woofer

$130 for the Parts Express 250W amp

The rest of the stuff for this sub is pocket change and I likely already have it

The problem is my HK430 does not have a subwoofer output.

So, if I got a 5 disc DVD changer with subwoofer output, exchange it for my 5 disc CD changer, could'nt I use the sub wofoer output on that to connect to the sonosub? I don't care so much about massive bass with the radio right now and all Iuse this for is a radio and cd player.

Will that work? Do you think that a DVD player will send the lower frequencies through the subwoofer jack even if it is not a DVD?

An answer ASAP is appreciated since today is the last day for me to exchange this cd player at Best Buy.

Otherwise I will have to get the Klipsch DD-51 and that adds $169 to my subwoofer bill... The DD-51 is a preamp so I would also get two digital inputs and three analog stereo inputs. It has 5.1 line level output via 6 RCA jacks.

What do you think?

I'm not sure dude,

Does the HK/430 have any sort of preamp out on it at all, a tape loop or anything of that sort.

If it does I would just use that, If not I guess I would go for a seperate preamp or something which I could use to send a signal to the sub.

btw, are you gonna have room for a sonosub behemoth at college?

Peace, Josh

why yes, it does have TAPE OUT... could that connect to the amp and set the crossover to like 80 and it would ignore everything else?... wonder if this amp has that option... hmmmm

yes, this sub is only like 30 inches tall. you don't need a HUGE amount of bass for the heresy's and i just want to build one for music right now. don't need anything for movies. SVS quoted me $649... so I am working on this ~$300 one hehe

This is what it says about the amp

The amp features gold plated high and low level inputs, continuously variable phase from 0ø to 180ø, level control, auto on/off (activated by input signal), and a second order (12dB) electronic low pass filter that is continuously variable from 40 to 160 Hz. It also features a 6dB high pass filter (125 Hz @ 8 ohm) output for satellite speakers and a line level output with a built in electronic high-pass filter.

tell me if you think this will work, use the tape out to this and set it to a low frequency crossover, sounds like it can do it right?

Ok,

I just looked at the manual for the HK/430 on the Harmon website.

I would think that you could use one of the tape outputs to send to the partsexpress sub amp.

This should work fine if the sub amp has a buit in crossover(which I think it does).

I hope this helps1.gif

Peace, Josh

It looks like the partsexpress amp has a variable crossover from 40 to 160Hz @ 12dB/octave.

That should work fine since it has stereo rca jacks for the input.

As far as I have been able to tell with a test tone CD and an SPL meter the heresies start dropping out at about 65Hz so you ought to be able to adjust the crossover on the amp with no trouble at all.

Peace, Josh

Justin,

Methinks you are hallucinating from those meds. Remember, the whole reason you got the H/K430 to begin with was for a college dorm room stereo system(ie., it won't take up much space), and now you are trying to make a BMW series 7 out of a volkswagen bug...but...if that is what you want to do, then go for it. I would suggest maybe getting some other power source if you are gonna attempt to build something other than a simple straight stereo system out of that H/K! I have a switch box for tv/video hooked up to the tape monitor inputs on my 430 now...it is sweet for watching and listening to a dvd, even if it is just in two-channel!! LOL! You always have the option of running a separate preamp out into the H/K through its tape monitor OR aux inputs to power your left and right front speakers!! You can also use the speaker B outputs for specific applications, but the ohm rating may be a problem for you in that application. You DO have TWO tape-out circuits on it, though!!

All i want the HK430 for is music, CD and radio so i don't need anything else.

I just want a sub because I want to build one. I really want to step into the Sonosub group and it gives me time to do something with my dad. he has agreed to do it and is really excited about it.

he really loves that HK430 BTW. He asked where his was hehe. But when we listened to Pomps and Pipes in his setup and mine he agreed that a sub would be nice. and in college it can be my night stand! See, dual purpose! LoL! it could also be a TV stand... a chair... a desk?... haha.

yeah, the meds are fun... i am on 7 different ones now! yikes. that is including the two i take daily as it is.

ok, found another subwoofer i like... think this is better than the Shiva 12? the surround looks WAY better not being foam

it is $175 and made by the same ppl that make the SVS woofers TC but sold under the Stryke name.

AV12back.jpg

AV12front.jpg

AV12 T/S

Fs: 21Hz

Qms: 4.41

Qes: .399

Qts: .366

Vas: 88 L

Re: 2.97 ohm

Z: 4 ohm

BL: 15 Tm

Cms: .25 mm/N

Mms: 228 g

Pe: 500W

1W/1m: 85.5dB

2.83V: 89.5dB

Xmax: 23 mm

Xsus: 30 mm

Sd: 498 sq cm

Vd: 2.33 L

AV12vented.gif

They also make a nice amp... includes a remote

audiofileVRS1205.jpg

$100 for 100 watts at 8 ohms. i will probably go with the 250W one with remote, it is only $40 more.

So, need to get mistrass and theears and bloomis here....

the only thing bad I can see that could be a hassal in running the sub from a tape output is that tape outputs run independent from main volume, so when you turn up the mains, the sub will not go up with them. Which basicaly means you'll always be changing one of the two. I have to do this for one of my systems and it sucks. but yes, you could run it from that.

Justin here is the setup I use with my tempest sonotube. I use the A speaker outputs on my sansui receiver and they are hooked up to my k-horns this keeps them running full range no croosssover hooked to them. I have the B side speaker terminals of the sansui hooked to the ava-250 speaker level inputs which powers my tempest sonotube. You can than use the plate amps lowpass crossover for adjustment.With this set up I can either listen to my k-horns by themselves, by pressing the A side speaker switch on my receiver, if i want to kick in the sub I just press the B side speaker switch on my receiver.This set up is handy as hell. because sometimes you feel like a sub and sometimes you dont, LOL.OR you could take the plate amp and hook it to the A side speaker terminals and hook your heresys to the plate amps speakerlevel outputs and use the plate amps croosover for adjustment.But with this set up you would always be listening to the sub and the heresys together at all times.I have never ran into a problem of the sansui running hot with this set up or anything else.That setup of using the tape out is going to suck because your volume control on your receiver wont change the volume on the sub, you will be going back and forth adjusting the sub to match the HK, prodj101 ( hope I spelled that right LOL,)explaned that above and he is right. If anyone seas a problem with this setup because how the hk-430 operates or could damage it please chime in on this. Hdbrbuilder what do you think?

I allready know what HDBR thinks hehe. He thinks I am crazy LoL! I am!

i really don't mind the volume changing and my amp would not handle the sub. and i am not going to power the heresy's with that plate amp. :)

now i need to find the best sonosub design that is compact. I found a great 26" tall sonosub that I am planning on building.

Well, Justin...ready to spend another 100 bucks? LOL!

I bet your dad could squeeze a 430 into his office...LOL!

Since you like that 430 so much, and since the 730 is basically the same thing with a bit more power(it has a conservatively rated 40 WPC compared to the 430's conservatively rated 25 WPC)...and it ALSO has the ADDED feature of pre-amp out/main-in outputs/inputs on its rear...you can always grab one of them up for cheap on eBay, fire the preamp-out into another preamp(that has a sub-out connection for a powered sub), set that other pre-amps controls to "bypass", OR us its controls and its remote to control your sub AND the H/K by sending the new preamp's left and right out signal back INTO the H/K's main-in inputs so that the H/K provides the power for the Heresys. That way, you have the option of using the H/K 730's other stuff, like its tuner section and such. Follow me? The only problem would be ensuring you get a good preamp that has no tendency to "color" the signal any as it is run through it.

As for problems associated with heat and such in the H/K 430 or H/K 730, that is really a non-issue. These receivers are extremely "open and airy" inside of them...no clutter anywhere to dam up the air flow, and they have more than adequate heat-sink surfaces for the amplifier sections! That is one of the reasons they tend to hold up so well over the years! You can run em at high volume for hours and feel just a slight warmth coming out of the top vents on them!