Tube amp with Klipsch Reference series

Music_Smurf

They are not supposed to be "tube friendly" because of some low spots in the impedance curve. However, I'm running mine with 9 tube watts right now -- and I think they sound great. You can do tubes with the RF7's -- but they should be run off the 4 ohm taps on the transformer.

I'm not sure if Dean's theory is true for the entire RF lineup. I run my RF-3 II from the 8 ohm taps without a problem sound great !! But I've never tried the 4 ohm taps. The one thing to be aware of is using the 4 ohm taps your cutting the output in half !

Craig

Actually, I have found almost ALL the Jolida amps work better via the 4 Ohm taps, whether it be the 202,302, or 502 etc. almost regardless of speaker. I found the 302 EL-34 Jolida to perform better from the 4 ohm tap via 90dB Fried Q4 Transmission Line/ProAc Mini Towers/Polk RT5/EPOS 12/and Cornwalls.

As for the RF-7 being tube friendly, I think tube would definitely be the way to go with the better output iron and mains transformer (as well as circuit) contributing to how it performs. I cant imagine why you wouldnt use tubes as I have seen tube on speakers that present a far more challenging load, not to mention being an order of magnitude less sensitive.

Basically, when all is said and done, horns seem to mate VERY well with quality tube amps. I personally prefer tubes to solid state on horns and didnt even like the Klipsch Heritage series until opting for the tube approach.

While the RF series has some peaks and valleys here and there, I dont see this coming between the superior sound (IMO) with tube vs typical solid state reproduction.

All above considered, there are some better solid state choices out there if you have really want to go that route. The Pass Labs Aleph 3 is down pretty low in the used market ($800 range) and would be something to consider as an option if wanting this route. It is a single-ended MOSFET design with zero feedback. Still, I think tubes are more harmonically rich but some just dont trust tube power.

kh

I'm driving a pair of RF-5's with a Decware Select amp (2 watts/channel) with excellent results. I typically listen in the 88-92 dB range which is pretty loud and this little amp has no problems. My room is 12'x 21' x 8' with two large openings into other areas of the house and I do not lack for volume.

I like the RF-5's so much I decided to trade up to the RF-7's which should arrive in a couple of weeks. Decware claims this amp actually performs better with 4 Ohm speakers than 8 Ohm.

Recently I had a tube go out so I put my Musical Fidelity A3CR (120 watts/channel) SS amp back into the system until new tubes arrived. The A3CR is a great amp but tubes have really spoiled me. Was glad to get the little Decware amp back in the system.

Doug C

My KT66 based pp amp is pretty small: maybe 10 Watts. I drive the RF-7 via the 4 Ohm configuration (it isn't really a tap) of the output transformer. But, you should experiment.

Also, you might try using the 4 Ohm output and place an 8 Ohm 10W resistor in parallel with the speaker. This will smooth the load to the output tubes (or tube) and present a lower driving impedance to the speaker. I find this config. works best for me.

The different configurations have a considerable impact so it's really worth a try.

leok

I see no reason at all why the Reference series would NOT sound great pushed by good tubes. The Reference models are voiced very similarly to the Heritage line, and with quality amplification of ANY kind, they should perform excellently! Tubes OR S/S!

This question kind of reminds me of the one posed when CD's first came onto the secne..."Are Klipsch speakers 'digital-ready', like the 'so-and-so' brand?" LOL!

It is a credit to PWK that he stood his ground with his all-to-familiar "BULL****" and kept the company's advertising literature of that time from succumbing to promoting the "NOW-Digital-Ready!" slogan so many other speaker manufacturers locked onto! LOL!

Hi Music Smurf, I've been wondering much the same thing about the Reference series. I guess good speakers (which Klipsch, by all accounts here, are)will work well regardless of what technology happens to be driving them, but I guess I am just fishing for the opinions of listeners with lots of experience using the Reference series speakers for dedicated two channel listening. Almost all of the reviews I have seen about the Reference gear seems to focus on Home Theater use. Nothing against HT, but I'm just not concerned with it at this point in time. I've never lived with speakers that even approach Klipsch's customary super-high sensitivity and am still a little afraid of the allegedly dreaded "beamy" or "harsh" horn loaded tweeters, which are also purported to be ultra directional and placement sensitive.

That's right, they're beamy as hell -- so make sure you point those sweet horns right at your head9.gif

Actually, this 'beamy' thing is nonsense. The horns provide a degree of controlled directivity, which allows you to focus the sound into the listening area. Direct radiators (almost an oxymoron), are much more sensitive to placement, especially as it relates to the side walls -- which are a source of reflections that destroy the timing cues.

In my opinion, the super-sensitivity, clarity and dynamics of the Klipsch Heritage line can better recreate the sonic holograph of Princess Laya, and other fine entertainers, than any other mega-buck system that I have heard, when the loudspeakers are properly positioned. This means getting them away from the front and side walls, and aiming them directly at your ears or the back of your head. Only because of their pronounced bumps in the 100 and 5 kHz regions did I find my Cornwalls more sensitive to room reflections than cone loudspeakers. The room reflections depend on the frequencies, not the type of driver which generates them. Yet, having said that, pointing your horns at your ears may somewhat minimize the influence of the room reflections, since the sound waves are directed less at the surrounding walls and more towards your ears. The sound arrives at your ears before the reflection of the walls does, reducing the sonic affect of the reflection.

Depending on the sensitivity of the horn and the power handling of the tube amplifier, the match should be a very good one. I would NOT couple most cone loudspeakers, even super-sensitive single driver models with something as subtle as the 2A3 tubes that I have now. For while the gentle renditions of female vocals and other refined midrange instruments can be delicate and delicious in texture, details and tone, the weakness of the mid and lower bass regions can add up to something less than satisfying. Like being on a low fat diet all the time. After a while you may crave the rich meaty bass of hard rock n roll. Therefore, I would carefully consider the power rating of the tube with the rated sensitivity of the horns and make sure that you get plenty of power to hit those hard rocking crescendos. Please note however, that despite this caveat, it bears repeating, here and throughout the land, even at the risk of being rude by shouting in such a erudite crowd, that HORNS LOVE TUBES.

Hee hee. I was actually thinking that TUBES LOVE HORNS:)

Colin, did you ever try anything to alleviate the symptoms of the 8Khz hump (when you had your Cornwalls)?

100Hz bump sounds pretty good to me:)

Anyone have an impedance curve for the Cornwalls? I'm wondering what the impedance is at 8Khz. Depending on the impedance at that point -- a tube amp may either exasberate, or smooth out that spot.