heresy center channel positioning

mkl

Ok, I'm using a Heresy as a center channel.

For some reason, I think I read on the forum that you shouldn't put the speaker on its side.

It seems to me that because of the design putting it on its side would make the sound spread more up and down, but not side to side, which seems fine for a center channel.

If I dont do it like that, maybe upside down? Any thoughts on that?

What's everyone else doing with their heresy center channel?

-mkl

MKL

don't put your Heresy on its side, unless it is the last resort.

Basic rule is you want the tweeter, sqwaker closest to you listening height. If it is on top of a big TV, you are best off putting it upside down for example.

I usually mount my speakers high on the wall, in the ceiling, wall corner and point them down on an angle to the listening position.

JM

I tried a Heresy on it's side on top of my Mitsu WS55819 tonight and watched episode 5 of "Band of Brothers". I was pleased with this placement and will try it again on a film like "Star Wars". Tonight I was pleased with the dialog and found the Heresy a much better blend with my Cornwalls than my KLF-C7 which I normally use.

I tried the Heresy for the second time inverted and the dialog seemed more narrowly focused from the center and above screen.

I should note that I really need a blind test because I feel I may be influenced mentally by knowing the placement.

I'm more comfortable with my perception that the Heresy sounds better than the C7--more full range and realistic sound. It certainly blends better due to timbre matching.

I have placed an order for an Academy but it hasn't arrived yet.

For all speakers I'm trying to prop the rear up so it points down to my seating.

More experimenting to come including connecting rear speaker(s).

I've tried it several ways now, and I've settled for on its side for now.

I have it on its side on top of my tv, angled down towards the viewer. The sound seems to be better tied to the TV like this. I'm sure I'll be tinkering with it on and off until im completely satisfied that it sounds better like this than upside down.

-mike

• 4 months later...

Given the sensitivity of Belle Fronts and their distance (26') from my seating position, one inverted Heresy did not work for me.

The single Heresy sound was too narrow producing a very evident center speaker location in the front array. HDBRBulider's suggestion lead me to experiment and settle on two inverted Heresys tilted downward and angled inward. I now have a center sound that's a spot on match with each Belle. The inverted Heresys deliver full bodied sounds to my seating area as they pan from left to right Belle speakers. Experimentation can yield great results.

so two inverted on top of a RPTV? Wired in parallel? I assume I should put a thick glass on top the RPTV to keept from bowing the pressboard.

One Heresy on the floor in normal stance on a riser seems to work well but since the Heresy isn't shielded the magnet ruins the RPTV picture.

----------------

On 4/20/2003 6:39:09 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

....I assume I should put a thick glass on top the RPTV to keept from bowing the pressboard....

----------------

Bowing your pressboard RPTV top!

Fortunately, the top of my Mitsubishi can handle the combined weight of two Heresys, so bowing is not an issue. There are others here who use dual Heresy centers and are also pleased with their results. One or two depends on each individuals listening area and personal preference.