Mc Donalds

m00n

When I was in highschool, I worked at Wendy's. Believe it or not, a totally classy joint. We really used to bust tail to make nice, fresh orders, quickly and accurately. Everyone really took pride in their work, even though the pay was obviously pretty dismal. Most of us were kids so the low pay wasn't much of an issue since we were all leaching off our parents. I go into most Wendy's now and really get dissapointed because they really put no effort into their work and the service is usually poor. It is a sad state of affairs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speed...

I think Wendys is quickly becoming my favorite fast food place. I love the taste of the hamburger they use.

As far as service, the one right here by my work is fast... They really have a good system down. A system that the Mc Donalds near my house could sure learn a few tricks from.

Mr. McDermott touched upon it earlier. The failure of the fast food chains rests solely on managements shoulders. Personally, If I was in charge I'd run one of those establishments with an iron hand. "Oh ... Mr. Punk Kid with attitiude is rude with customers?" "You're fired!!!" "Awww ... Little Johnny hasn't finished mopping the floor because he is outside talking to his girlfriend out in the parking lot. Hey Little Johnny, you're fired!!!" I would have no mercy with substandard performance in my establishment ... NONE! Customers MUST be a restaurants number one priority. Many fast food chains have forgotten about that. Away ... I digress. I could see a certain sax player being fired by me. Hee Hee

I once stopped at our MacD's on the way to work. Got my usual double cheezboyga combo ("no pickles, large coke, please"). Got to work and proceeded to take a big bite out of boyga #1, and guess what? - NO FREAKIN" MEAT!!! Boyga #2 was also beefless. 7.gif

Around here, it seems the franchise joints that are home-owned DO provide good service, whereas the corporate-owned stores generally do not. I also agree with the comment already made that many kids today seem to think they are just "too damn hip" to be seen working at a fast-food joint.

Low Pay? Shoot, in this area those kids aren't making much less per hour than a lot of adults in secretarial / clerical type jobs.

I've been to McDonalds and some other American Fast Food emporiums in Bangkok, and the contrast with their American counterparts was amazing. Over there, each store had about twice the employees on shift than usually seen here. The typical "counter-kid" there was dressed neatly, and would greet you with a smile. They all seemed happy to be there; probably thrilled, really, just to have a job. Eager to please. Maybe our kids are spoiled, huh?

Have you ever been in one of these places when the electronic cash registers go down and they have to resort to making change by actual arithmatic? It is so sad to watch...

I was in a McDonald's on Dixwell Ave. in Hamden (for you Connecticut folks) about two weeks ago, and thought the lines were moving a lot more slowly than normal. Out of morbid curiousity I stayed in line for about a half hour waiting to order my Big Mac just to see what was going on. When I got close enough to see the counter, I realised that the registers were off and they were taking orders by hand.

This involved having someone write down each order on a piece of paper ripped off a brown paper bag, shout what they needed back to someone in the grill area, then proceed to try and calculate your bill. One of the managers had gone to a CVS and bought a bunch of little $1.99 calculators for the cashiers to use.

While I was there, and I swear I am not making this up, I saw a cashier try to add two dollar meals and one extra thingie that cost, like, 79 cents. She was using a calculator, and punching in $1.00, then $1.00, then .79. She wasn't used to using a calculator, I think, because she had trouble hitting the right buttons and had to keep hitting clear and retrying. She finally got the total of 2.79, and then added 6 cents. I couldn't resist, so I asked what the 6 cents was for. "Tax," she said. "Uh, why six cents?" I asked. "Because that's was they told me to add for tax. It's 6 cents in Connecticut." I though about saying something about 6 PERcent, but decided to shut up. The bill was $2.85, and the guy buying the stuff gave her $3.10 so he'd get a quarter back. She gave him back the dime. He gave it back to her, and explained that she owed him a quarter. She said stop trying to confuse me. He said I'm not trying to confuse you, I was trying to make it easier, if you take the 3.10 you give me a quarter. She called a manager over and proceeded explain that this guy was trying to rip off the place by screwing with their money.

I did finally get my Big Mac.

wow! so you mean they spoke English? Down here most of the casual service people don't speak intelligible English and many of them are born here,

Joe Presci said it best in Lethal Weapon - they f**k you at the drive through ...

The area of Cincinnati where I grew up (Price Hill) is some place I visit to see friends time and again. I'm sure this is an isolated case but the Wendy's there is terrible. When you pull up to the drive-thru window here's what you should hear: "Welcome to Wendy's. May I take your order, please?" Here's what you get: "Zup....what you want..." Did I mention that about 30% of that same area is Section 8 housing? But now the Wendy's Downtown where I work at least has people I can converse with. I don't expect to be waited on by William F. Buckley but I would like to have someone there who's seat-back in their car isn't set so far back you can't even see the driver (to sheild them from bullets and not be seen by cops)!

If MacDonalds wants peole to care they have to pay enough for people to care. And as for you whiners who cry because some minimum wage worker won't kiss your *** then YOU be willing to pay more money yourself. You want to buy cheap expect service that's cheap too.

I fel sorry for anyone who thinks Krispy-Kremes are good donuts. I guess they're OK for Hillbillies and Suburban whitebread people who don't know good bakery but anybody who has been to a good Swedish, Polish or Bohemian bakery won't think much of the things. They are pure junk and make Dunkin Donuts taste good !?! Those Goddam Krispy Kremes are so sugarey they make my teeth ache.

----------------

On 12/20/2002 3:28:22 PM TBrennan wrote:

If MacDonalds wants peole to care they have to pay enough for people to care. And as for you whiners who cry because some minimum wage worker won't kiss your *** then YOU be willing to pay more money yourself. You want to buy cheap expect service that's cheap too.

----------------

Bullsh1t. That is such a cop-out. Nobody forced them to flip or sell burgers. They went in on their own free will, filled out an application knowing that this job would pay minium wage. If they don't want minium wage, then find a different job.

I agree with Ranger 100% on this. The fact remains, your being payed to do a job, if you can't do it without a chip on your shoulder, or without having your girl friend haning out by the back door while you sit out there and smoke, then your *** is down the road son. Not to mention, that is the saddest thing to go to a Mc Ds or what ever and see a handfull of workers out back smoking. Very trashy looking.

But as was said before people have gotten spoiled, they don't appreciate the fact that they even have the opportunity of employment.

I am full of sh1t because I think if you get paid to do something, you should actually do it? If may be reality that people have this attitude, but that does not make it right.

Na dude... Let me guess you work at Mc Donalds and you don't want to work for your paycheck.

I think if you are paid to do a job you should do it to the best of your ability. however he is correct in saying if you don't get paid well then you may not be inclined to do your job as well as someone who is paid better. So I can see both points here. In the end though if you don't do your job to your best ability then who would be inclined to give you a raise for a job well done?

----------------

On 12/20/2002 8:14:10 PM TBrennan wrote:

What you think people should do has nothing to do with it, I'm explaining reality to you.

----------------

Reality to you perhaps, but reality to me is that those restaurant establishments have very weak leaders/managers. Low wages is a poor excuse for poor performance. A good leader would select quality folks from the start and then closely monitor their progress and behavior. Over time, good performers will be rewarded through an increase in wages. Poor performers are sent packing. As mOOn has said, no one made that person(s) apply for that job. He or she came of their of their own volition. As a result, the job applicants must agree to the terms specified by the establishment or look for employment elsewhere. However, should they do agree, then it's expected that they follow the terms that business has established. Bottom line. It's that simple.

Punks don't set the rules for my business - I DO!

----------------

On 12/20/2002 8:14:10 PM TBrennan wrote:

You get what you pay for; you pay cheap wages you get lousy help, that's it, that's the laws of economics at work.

----------------

Perhaps in the former Soviet Union.

T Bone Hoffa Might as well be from North Korea. He's the last of a dying breed. A communistic Union member that thinks the people owe him a job and its his job to Extort more money for less work. Plain and simple.

He knows economics like a hooker knows Virginity. All he knows is Marxist economics. I wish he take his negativity rants to the JBL board because he hates Klipsch and only trys to stir up trouble when he's not being a Peedant.

Hit the road JBL chump. My SVS Utlra blows the glue off your JBL Woofer cabinets. Ypu wouldn't know 25HZ or under if it knocked your hard hat off. Hee-he-he

OK, Let the class begin.

I am sure if we raised minimum wage to $14.00 per hour we would eliminate all of the problems that we are talking about here right???!!!!

In fact, why don't we just raise the minimum wage to $100,000 per year. This is the liberal solution to this/these types of problems.

Ignorance must be bliss......What the hell happened to the concept that 99.5% of America works under that is called "employee at will"??? Quite simply the company pays the employee as long as the worker (in this case) has a pulse and shows up and the employee gets paid by showing up under his own free will.

I worked at McDonalds at age 16 and I loved it....Lots of chicks at the mall, free food (if they only knew we gave the store away in the Drive-thru!!!!) But it was a mandate from several of our parents to learn what it is like to work in a sh*thouse. Great motivation it was to study hard and make sure I got good grades and went to college and didn't have to work there ever again.

one concept.....Supply and Demand....Learn it.

Don't penalize business owners to pay more to the deadbeats that could care less about your special order....Let the owners reward those employees that strive to do a good job!! Do you think managers and owners want the good, hard workers to leave? That is why they will see that they are paid accordingly based on fair market value....ooops!...that's another economic term that many here probably resent and or choose to ignore.

Gotta go, Krispy Kreme is calling and their service is top notch, they give free donuts to everyone waiting in line during busy times. Now that's service!!

Seems to me that you Conservatives want it both ways; you want to believe that talent chases money and that money is needed to get talent if the talent is you but at the same time you want to believe that you can hire someone else's talent on the cheap. It obviously doesn't work. Listen, I'm not the one who started *****ing about low-paid workers I'm just explaining it. I've seen people who were deadbeats when paid lousy wages pick up the pace and get real interested and busy when the wages were higher. And spare me the stories about how dedicated and hard-working you all are, like you were the only guys who ever hit a lick and never ****ed-off a day in your life. Please.

Yeah, it's a free market all right, and when you pay lousy wages you're free to get lousy help. To expect anything else is hypocritical and unAmerican. It's like employers as welfare mothers; they think they're entitled to something, entitled to good work without paying what the market demands for it.