Craigmeister Scott 299a still for sale

Deang

What the hell's wrong with you goons. I figured this thing would be gone in two hours.

C'mon now. Fully restored and tweaked by Craig. This was Craig's personal amp, so you know he went the extra mile with it. Then I got a hold of it and put the sweat equity into the cosmetics.

I may have to list this on AudiogoN soon -- if you are considering push-pull tubes, don't let it slip away.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26001&

$330 per square foot sounds pretty normal to me. My 2080 sq ft house which was built in 1926 is appraised for $840,000. I bought it 15 years ago and there is NO WAY I could even begin to afford it today. What's even funnier is that the fellow I bought it from paid $55,000 for the house in 1969 from the original owner.

I have a spare room that has a bunch of used gear in it. Off the top of my head:

2 McIntosh MC240 amps (1 perfect, 1 rough)

1 McIntosh MC225 amp (nice)

1 McIntosh MC30 "basket case" with good transformers

1 McIntosh MR 67 tuner (nice)

1 Mcintosh MX-110 preamp/tuner (rough)

1 pair McIntosh C-8 mono preamps (rough)

1 Marantz 8B amp (nice)

1 Marantz 10B tuner (in TERRIBLE condition--looks like it might have been in a flood at one time, but someday . . . )

1 McIntosh C11 preamp (nice)

1 Fisher "40" integrated mono amp (MINT!)

2 AR XA turtables (OK)

1 Empire 398 turntable (OK)

1 Rek-O-Kut "Rondine" turntable (NOS, MINT)

1 Thorens TD-124 (for parts).

1 Garrard 401 (never got it working)

2 SME 3009 tonearms (very nice)

2 Ortofon 9" tonearms (very nice)

1 Grace wooden tonearm (perfect)

1 Scott 330C tuner (needs work)

1 Dynaco ST-35 amp (never plugged it in)

1 Fisher 800 reciever (OK)

1 Fisher SA-300 amp (OK)

1 Fisher 500C reciever (MINT)

1 set of Tannoy 10" Monitor Golds with no cabinets (one needs cone repair)

1 pair of KEF 102 mini-monitors (bought them new in 1983)

And a bunch of cartridges

Thats all I can think of for now . . .

Sorry guys (Kevin also), the amp was just sold to 'Harry' -- a faithful lurker here at the Form (I think we would be surprised to find how many folks just love to hang out here and read about our lunacies.

Art,

The metal job on the Scott was done using a Scotchbrite scratchpad (equivelant to .000 steel wool, but does not fray), and 1500 grit cloth. Start with the scratchpad to loose all surface grit, grease, stains, etc. It's important to only go in one direction as much as possible. When finished, vacuum. Vacuum well, especially the tube sockets. Then begin again with the cloth. One direction only. It's not always possible to do this because of things you have to get to with wierd angles. Keep in mind that the cloth is removing a bit of metal, and so leaves a 'grain'. Going in one direction helps it to make it not to look like, well -- like some idiot scoured it with an SOS pad:)

The whole surface will turn black from this process. When finished, used windex to clean everything off (spray the windex on a clean cotton rag, not on the amp). A tee-shirt will do nicely for this. At this point, go back over it again with the scratchpad to restore the satin look it started with. Again, one direction only. When you are happy with the look, vacuum again -- pay special attention to the tube sockets.

Remove the bottom plate of the amp and vacuum. I used the horsehair brush attachment. When done, remove the brush and do the tube sockets from underneath.

The whole process took me about 5 hours.

Craig,

The 299b will probably show up on your doorstep sometime next week. It's coming directly to you from Cleveland. I may want to drop some PIO's in for the coupling caps -- I'm still thinking.

Kelly,

Before I box this amp up, I will take several pictures of the bottom for you.

Clipped,

I sold it to Dean because I bought the next version up the ladder of the same amp 299B and trust me I did everything under the sun to the one Dean sold and did almost everything to my new one also ! in fact the same day I got it. I started soldering on it at about 10 AM and was jamming away at about 11 PM this is how long it takes to rebuild one of these properly.

Craig

PS Clipped did you get my questions in ST-40 thread ??