Format War!!!

shoe11

I really don't know, but it would be great to have a 9.1 and a receiver where you could set the delays on the side surrounds and rears such that when a sound affect starts at the front, it starts there, hits the first side surround, then second side surround, then the rears.... That would be nice.

Ok wait.... 13.1 You would need 2 ceiling surrounds for each side surround set.

Wow... That would be impressive 9.gif

Ahh Format wars. Kinda reminds me of the good ol days of SQ,QS,CD-4. Now that was a format war. It got to a point I had 5 freakin phono cartridges for different formats.

I for one bought a DVD Audio Machine. I did this because I original bought a few DVD-A disc prior to the new machine I bought. I was able to listen to the DD and DTS tracks and experience multi channel music disc's in my current player. I was pretty impressed with the sound quality of the few I bought I decided to go the route of DVDA. I love the format. The sound quality can truely be amazing. However, to be honest a few disc's out of the 20 or so I've bought were not all that great. It really has to do with the original masters and how they re-mix it. But overall I am extremely pleased. I have heard things that I never heard on my other formats. Done right, and it really is fun to listen again.

I also believe the DVD format is where it is at and will be for some time. Hybrid CD's just don't have the space or versatility. Compression can only go so far on a CD.what is going to happen when we start seeing our mobile systems become DVD players. This will happen before you know it. Look at the small portable DVD players w/ small screens on them These are now incorporating DVDA playback.I'm not by any means bashing the SACD format. I have listen to several and the sound is very impressive.

Yes, due to some of the disc's I would like to have are only available on SACD and I wish I could play both. But alas, like the good ol days of quadraphonic. I will at some point bow down to the almighty audio god and say I give. And I will add one SACD player to nestle in with my other components just in case I need it.

DVD-A.

I don't really see it as a format war as there are more and more "universal" players coming out. For now though, I am happy with DVD-A, and I would probably have a SACD player, but I only have one 6 channel input. I am very happy with my DVD player (Panasonic RP91) and am afraid to let it go in favor of another player that I might not like as much.

----------------

On 12/21/2002 11:53:12 PM marksdad wrote:

shoe, hold onto your horses big fella, the 1080 is old tech, rotel will be unveiling thier new line in a couple of months, they will have new machines playing dvd,dvd-a, sacd, cd all combined with prices begining at 800 and up
12.gif

----------------

AH! Such sweet music to my ears! Good to see I'm already getting my upgrade plans lined up for next year! 3.gif

I'm still waiting. I'd prefer a universal player, but there aren't many to choose from yet - and no Sony ES (that'll be a while). If I had to choose one or the other, I would go with SACD/DVD-Video. At least that would give you some measure of compatibility with DVD-Audio. You could play the DD track and maybe a 2-channel pcm track.

My crystal ball, though somewhat cloudy, tells me that in a few short years, virtually all players will be universal. They'll play everything; And that all players will have a standardized digital output for hi-res, multichannel.

But I'm getting real itchy to jump, cause there is finally some new music being released in the new formats, and the prices have come down. I'm mighty tempted to go with the Pioneer DV-45A. It's cheap enough that I wouldn't feel to bad about sliding it into the family room HT in a couple of years, if my crystal ball vision comes true and players eventually sport standardized digital outs.

----------------

On 12/22/2002 2:52:18 AM James D McCall wrote:

But I'm getting real itchy to jump, cause there is finally some new music being released in the new formats, and the prices have come down. I'm mighty tempted to go with the Pioneer DV-45A. It's cheap enough that I wouldn't feel to bad about sliding it into the family room HT in a couple of years, if my crystal ball vision comes true and players eventually sport standardized digital outs.

----------------

James~

Yes I agree with you on the 45a. Pretty tempted on that one myself. I actually used the 47 when trying out the RF-7's. Like you said though there should be a better selection of combo players over the next few months. I've never owned/really liked Pioneer so that's helping to keep me cool on the 45/47 players.

~shoe

shoe,

I think Pioneer is OK. In fact, I was an absolute Pioneer NUT back in the mid to late 70's. (I know; that makes me a relic.) They made some gorgeous stuff back then. Really good gear all the way around, for the money. I haven't owned anything of their's in over twenty years, though. But some of their Elite line, again, is really nice looking, and seems to offer really good performance and features for the buck. If nobody else comes to the table to compete with them in the $500 price range universal player market, they're gonna sell a boat load of those DV-45A's, I think.

You mentioned the 47. Was that the Ai? It really isn't too much higher than the 45; $300-$400, I think. I wonder though, if their "I-Link" will be compatible with other receivers when the industry standardizes the digital multi-channel connections? I'd hate to spend the extra dough for the 47Ai, only to have the Pioneer connection become obsolete!8.gif

James,

Sound and Vision magazine had a very favorable review of the 45 in one of their recent issues. They even gave it the award for best universal dvd-a/sacd player. Of course given there are probably less than 5 models that fit this description currently available and they've probably only tested one or two....well you get where I'm going with this! 9.gif I would agree that other brands need to get into the game quickly or Pioneer is going to sell alot of them.

Yes the 47 is the Ai. Retail is $500 on the 45 and $1k on the 47. The Tweeter I visited had not yet received the 45 and the guy I was working with said that they had already sold 3 of the 47's. I agree with you on the connection issue. Of more interest to me regarding the 47 is that it apparently has higher quality video specs than the 45. I just couldn't justify the extra cash I don't think. C'mon Rotel hurry it up! 3.gif

~shoe

SACD

Sony 650 because SACD was the first to come out with titles that I wanted and the fear being forced into the surround mode on DVD-A. Two channel sounds best in my setup and I don't have a way to change that in the near future. My center is currently set up off center do to room restrictions and that ruins the surround effects of MC playback for me. That makes the imaging and soundstage of two channel work better for me.

I'm not real happy with the Sony 650. It does have some good sound, and for the price was a good entry/trial but the DAC in my pre-amp blows the 650 away for CD playback. The 650 has a softer more reserved sound which I like, but limited soundstage.

I'm hoping to be looking for a new universal player soon. I've also been eyeing that Pioneer 45 or 47, and the Merantz 8300(?) that Sound and Vision reviewed without describing how it sounds. I'm hoping for an actual review of it rather than a two page add by some publisher on how it looks and how heavy it is.

Maybe by February there will be more universal players to try out.

SACD.... Sony DVP-NS755V. Mixed emotions on this $200 CD/DVD/SACD player... great features and price; poor reliability. Have replaced my unit twice under warranty.

As for the format, I can't speak to DVD-A yet, but in hindsight I've seen more music that I like in this format than in SACD. With the power of Sony and Phillips behind SACD, I expect this gap to close and for both formats to be strong into the future.

Just waiting on a REASONABLY priced SACD/DVD-A player (any manufacturers reading?) $1,200? Get real.

John

----------------

On 12/23/2002 2:50:20 PM John Pittman wrote:

Just waiting on a REASONABLY priced SACD/DVD-A player (any manufacturers reading?) $1,200? Get real.

John

----------------

Manufacturers are always going to have their reference players, but I'm sure we're going to see more affordable combo players this coming year. That's why the Pioneer 45 combo player looks so good right now. It plays everything apparently quite well, it's available and $499 for a universal player is not a bad deal.

~shoe

I haven't taken the plunge, and I've never heard the new formats, but I have a suspicion that neither format will ever get off the esoteric ground on which they both seem to reside currently. Mass market will decide which new format, if any, will replace CD's. The benefits of SACD and DVD-A, as measured against CD's, just aren't enough to prompt Joe-consumer to start buying SACD's and stop with the CD's. Most people don't listen to music in settings that take advantage of the sonic benefits of either format: boomboxes, computer speakers, mid-fi stereos, etc. I believe both formats will fail and CD's will be replaced by a format with a smaller form-factor. The quality of the sonics won't do it; it will take miniaturization to topple the CD.

Take it easy on me, please.