Tube preamp for Cornwalls and Mac?

bosskag

Any suggestions for a tube preamp to use with my Cornwalls and McIntosh amp? I have a (tube) Dynaco preamp and I like the sound but I think I can do better in the quality department. Please, no Krell type prices...I am a blue collar worker!

Cornwalls

McIntosh amp

Dynaco PAS preamp (to be replaced)

Nakamichi Cassette

Nakamichi CD

Dual Turntable

Bosskag, last year I owned a McIntosh MC7200 SS amp (200 WPC @ 8 ohms), and my tube preamp was an AMC CVT1030s. I won this new preamp on eBay for $365, it had 6 inputs, 1 tape loop, and 2 outputs, a phono stage, a Direct switch to bypass the tone controls, and had 2 pairs of tubes: JAN Philips 12AU7 for the sources, and JAN Philips 12AX7WA for the phono. It's a decent preamp, and it's build quality is good (it's no Krell, but it's no RCA receiver at Radio Shack either). Soundwise, it's a whole lot warmer than the SS Carver C-4000 and C-1 preamps I owned before, and I loved the sound of my Denon DP-62L 'table with a Sumiko Blue point MC cartridge through it (it was better sounding than my CD player)! My AMC was perfect because I could roll tubes with the "s" model; the plain-jane CVT1030 has its tubes soldered on its circuit board. I'd still have it today (and the MC7200), but had to sell 'em to pay my property taxes 15.gif, and my Cornwalls sounded better than ever with it (a good matchup). My Nakamichi DR-1 also benefited from it...my whole system was more nuteral and full. Go to www.amchome.com for specs. This tube preamp might be what you're searching for. Good luck, and Merry Christmas! 12.gif

Santa won't come in!...he's sitting out front jammin' to his new "sliegh-stereo"...God I wish he'd turn it up; cause he's using my new Khorns!

Is jt1stav saying that the best way to go is with a good SS amp and a Tube preamp? I hope that is what he's saying because I am going to try it also.

Cornwaller

I had the AMC CVT1030s last year. At first, I thought it was a good entry level preamp. The tube rolling logic seemed good, and I did upgrade the tubes, which did make a difference. But I still felt something was missing, a little to soft and muddied. At the time, I had K-Horns and had just bought a pair of Wright 2A3 set amps also.

I found a Wright WPL20 on AudioGon for $800, tried it and have never looked back. I could not believe the music, detail and soundstage I was missing.

Anyway, I know it is above your budget, but as the quality of your source components and speakers goes up, I do not think you would be happy with the AMC for very long. Keep up the hunt!

Happy Holidays!!!

Jobman

Boss,

Since there is most certainly a God, I'm sure Chris' AE-3 will be for sale soon. You should claim this preamp now if at all possible. It is a very fine piece, and you will not do better for the money. No way.

However, you will not have a phono section with it -- it is a linestage only.

Bosskag, there are much better tube pramps out there than the AMC...I just suggested it because it's a perfect first entry into the world of bottleheads, sounds great for the price, and because of your present budget. Go for the AE-3 if you can afford to, and then buy yourself a decent tube phono preamp.

Cornwaller, I agree with you...it's my opinion that you can have your cake and eat it too with a SS amp (for added power/punch for the bass) along with a good tube preamp. If cost was no object, of course having both your amp and preamp filled with glowing valves on top would be "the nutz!" 3.gif

I dont think the SLP-74 is on the same plain as the SLP-70 or SLP-90/94/98. I would actually opt for the recommendations in that other thread I started before the 74 unless it's a bit below $600. Still, some of these preamps were modified with even better parts. IT does have a separate power supply but I dont think it includes phono.

kh

I had an SLP-74 in my system for a few weeks last summer. I purchased it used from a guy here in Atlanta who had 2 of them (he had kept one as a backup). I found the line stage to be on the "dark" side, seemed to have a veil over the sound...I didn't like it very much. The SLP-74 I had did include a phono stage but I didn't try the phono as I didn't have any vinyl at that time.

I sold the SLP-74 and bought the AES AE-3 DJH which completely blew the SLP-74 away IMHO.