Question for TheEar

Underhanded Penguin

Okay let me first start off by saying I don't enjoy calling people out like this. I'm sure TheEar has helped quite a few people out on many audio related questions. For this, I commend him on his vast knowledge of audio equipment. Frequent visitors to this forum will also note that he likes to "plug" the equipment he owns as much as he can. We all do. After all, when you spend that much time and money on a hobby, it is right to be proud of what you own. With that said, one cannot help but speculate just how much of this equipment that he touts does he really own? Fair enough. Who really cares right? Let him say all he wants about what he owns. Why bother writing a post to invalidate someone else's words? That is not the point of this post. I don't know how much audio equipment TheEar really owns and quite frankly, I don't care. On more than one occasion, I will start reading an interesting thread and then read someone, (not just TheEars) that will say something about how much better his equipment is than someone else's. The way in which this is done is derogatory and immature. Perhaps it is unfair to single out TheEar as an example, and I will apologize for that. However, on more than one occasion, his posts have made more than a few people angry. (Again, sorry to single you out TheEar) Let's all do our best to not put other people's equipment down.

I do have one question for you TheEar. You don't have to respond if you don't want to. And make sure that I am not accusing you of anything. Just very curious... Why is it that you claim you own all these subwoofers all the time ("7 subwoofers in a 10 x 16 room")and when something great comes along like the SVS Ultra, it takes you such a long time to buy it? Obviously you plan on getting it. You've only said it for the past year or so. You seem to be able to buy everything else very quickly. (ie. the latest and greatest computer parts, other subwoofers etc) Is it because in order to say you have an SVS, you have to go through Tom or Ron? I mean you can say you own any other subwoofer and nobody would know truth from lie, but in order to own SVS, Tom would have to know that you ordered it from him. And since Tom frequents this forum, it is not possible to lie about owning an SVS. I know that sounds really bad, and again I don't mean to call you out TheEar. My point is, if you own or plan on buying something, you don't need to post constantly about it. It can be irritating to other people when they keep reading the same post about your Sunfires, Revel, Aerial, and how you will buy three or four SVS Ultras because that's just how crazy you are. (because 7 subwoofers in a tiny HT room isn't enough for you) People get the idea. You love subwoofers. That's great. The next time you post about SVS, I hope it's because you've bought some.

TheEar, I hope you don't take that completely negatively. Yes, that was a criticism directed towards you, but it was meant to be constructive. I welcome any comments anybody may have.

Regards,

-UP

We've seen a few really bad pics. Any news on the new digital camera you were going to get Ears? We'd all really like to see some pictures of your two rooms.

I'll even host the pics for you. I've got lots of space and bandwidth so for sure a bunch of nice 800*600 pictures, if not 1024*768.

Ear i also noticed some one on this forum in one post wondering if they could see a pic of all the subs you own,I do not think they really beleive you own them all,I do not know d--ck about subs so I just follow the pack and read.I have to psb 6's now for subs and sound great but there is alot better out there i know,I try to scan out all the big problems with subs first on posts and reviews and Ear can help out with whats good and bad.Seems to me svs or HSU seem to be up front according to Ear he has tried them all.I wish I had money like Ear to try them all out,Seems to me most audio shops won't let me just try them out like Ear, especially 2 to 3 grand subs,I am saving my penny's for a dual sub upgrade and hoping that Ear can help out.One question EAR if I had 6 grand to spend on Dual subs.What would you reccommend ?? Did you have any of these you tried out to?? Thanks

Dear Penguin,

If you read any of my posts(and by redaing your plea you do!)you would have clicked on the attached pics and know I posted many of my subwoofers in them.I posted my MP3 PC pics also in a few pics in the ProMedia 5.1 section a while back.

I will not...NOT ANSWER your post because doing so would be a sign I am hiding someting.I have nothing to hide from.

And yes you are pointing your tiny little finger at me,when did I spit on other people equipement?

Post a link,I may say A is better them B,because it is so.And when I say that B0$e(and a few other brands) is plain garbage,its a fact Jack.Like or not some gear should be exposed for what it is.

If you find this bashing and arrogant,good.

As for me posting the pics of all my gear,not a fat chance.Sorry,this would be too much unwanted publicity.This is a Klipsch board and I posted a few pics of my Klipsch speakers and subs.The pics are real and if you look you will find them(Prodj and a few saw these pics).

And why did I not order the SVS...yet! Ha good question,BECAUSE I HAD BAD EXPERIENCES IN THE PAST WITH SHIPPED GEAR.I will order SVS in due time.If SVS had a local reseller I would have purchased them a long time ago.I can pay a few extra $$$ whenI know the product is in perfect shape and I can get it replaced fast if damage is discovered.For me this is the most important part.

hey ears, if you read the post you'd see he's not after proof, just wants you to stop knocking on other peoples gear. The time that comes quickest to mind is when someone (can't remember the name) was talking about a system they were planning and you said "ha, nice, but not as good as even my second best." thats just mean.

Prodj,

LOL

Yes I remember this 6.gif I will be more modest in the future

Fact is my ststems are far better then 99% of what people in even rich countries have.What can I say?I am the king of subwoofers 3.gif I am so modest,when anyone in the building pisses me of they get a good dose of artificial earthquake.

And YES I do have seven subs in my smaller Klipsch HT

Sunfire Junior/Mark II/Signature,Carver Knight Shadow two units,Klipsch RSW10/15(not counting the sleeping KSW12/15 in storage LOL)

in the larger room...

Revel B15,Aerial SW12 and Velodyne HGS18

Modesty is not part of my vocabulary,as is common sense

9.gif

And TV from SVS aint modest either.With the Ultra and the sub they cook up,this super sub has TheEAR written all over it. 3.gif Modest,why be? LOL

Ear- I am surprised that you have seven subs in one theater, since there have been many recent posts on how to hook up multiple subs in one system and you never responded. You should be the expert on this topic also. I currently am running three subs in my HT (KSW-15, KSW-100 and a DIY 214L Tempest 15").....Could you please provide details on how you are running them or have them hooked up? Are you using RCA/LFE splitters from your amp or are you using Speaker level inputs for all?

Please share your preferred hookup.

Well yes I know I missed many,posts.I am not alone on these forums you know,if I staret to answer all the questions I will have to become another creature of the web...and you will call me Justinator the evil twin of Justin the robot! LOL

I answer what catches my eye,not all posts.Sorry time is often limited...and I am most often at...WORK! LOL

Ok now

All subs get the signal from a split and amplified SUB line out.In my Klipsch HT I still use my Denon 3801 as the preamp!Two Paradigm X30's get the signal from the split(Y jack)sub out.Then each Paradigm X30 has two sub outs.These in turn are split again.Just one is not split

The first X30 LEFT feeds the twin RSW's,the RIGHT feeds the Signature.The second X30 LEFT out feeds the twin Carvers SK's and the second RIGHT out feeds the Junior and Mark II.All were then adjusted to balance as perfectly as I could and to workd as ONE sub(standing waves...cancellation is not good).As it is the setup works wonders,awesome power and SPL can be reached.On movies its simply surreal,bass with no limit,at least it sounds like it.

In my larger HT I use the Sunfire pre/pro,it has three sub outs! Perfect for my three subs(B15,HGS18 and SW12)no need to split anything there.I just run long Monster Z Bass interconnects to the subs.

I found placement is very important.I place all my subs along the fron wall,this creates a horn like boost from the floor and back wall.Proximity to side corners further reinforces the output.

Be sure to start with one sub in the location you fing gves you both definition and good output(definition always more important then just BOOM)and run a 30 or 40Hz test tome in a loop(30-40Hz is perfect for matching all subs i your case,as the Klipsch subs dont go as deep as your large DIY monster)and then power up the second sub.Listen if the output is BIGGER now,if not there is cancelation.Flip the polarity swith.Good,now do you get more bass? If yes...the next step is to fire your monster sub.Now turn the smaller subs off,lsiten with just the BIG mutha.Now switch the wto smaller ON.More bass? Yes great,no...flip the polarity switch on the BIG monster. More bass? Great

Another way to find the best bass spots for your subs is the old set the sub where you will sit and crawl like hound on the floor to find hot sports where output is good and clean.Then place the subs innthese spots.

Again start with one sub and as in the description above add anothere...test.All subs should work in tandem,not against each other.

Also matching a very powerful sub to a mediocre one is not a good idea.Say one has a SVS SS sub and wnts to *** a KSW10.LOL The gain would ne next to nothing and only could ruin things.This is why I dont even use my KSW12 and 15 anymore.They will work again with my gaming PC.1.gif

Hope this clears up things ...a bit.

As I could write page upon page about subwoofer placement only.

For better sound(or lack of nasty vibrations)try to just play at higher SPL a 30Hz test tome and listen for parasite vibrations(pictures on the walls shaking,any unwanted vibrations/noise).Then take the measures to eliminate the noises,often very inepensive and helps your system sound as goo as it can.

I have all the furniture in both rooms on soft sliding pads(AS SEEN ON TV LOL)and anything that rattles was padded,takes time but costs next to nothing in materials.Also in both rooms doors presented problems...the doors had a peak to peak greater then a Tumult! LOL During high SPL movie marathons or the mega techno night.So the fix was again inexpensibe and works better then the expensive audiophile BS tweaks.I used heavy duty stick on insulation bands(comes in tape form)and voila the doors close tight,and no more air transforming doors into near passive radiators.

That is it for now 2.gif

Ears- excellent response(s) to my specific question. That was the nerf toss for you and you hit it out of the park!!!

Not too many "wishIhadsevensub" kinda guys would have been able to respond to my question that fast.

Anyway, you have given me some excellent food for thought in my Theater. I just got done watching parts 1,2 and 3 of Band of Brothers and my new DIY Tempest just shakese the whole house. My wife came down twice and told me that it was shaking/vibrating everything two floors above and sounded like a heavy duty thunderstorm. I soundproofed my theater very well but let me tell you that there is no stopping bass from this beast.

Anyway, Since the tempest I have my KSW-15 behind my first row of seating on my 2nd row riser against the left wall. My KSW-100 has been moved to the front left corner of my stage/proscenium and is running speaker level inputs from the center channel (KLF-C7). The Tempest tower of power is just to the right of the stage/proscenium and is set at its lowest setting 40Hz and about 12or 1 o'clock on the volume dial. It appears that my KSW-15 and KSW-100 have disappeared from the room since the new Tempest has arrived. I will be using some your suggestions regarding test tones and see if there is some cancellation going on. I assume when you said polarity, that you meant phase, right? Or are they the same thing?

I may move the KSW-15 and KSW-100 back to my second HT on the main floor with my KLF-30's/C7 and KSP-S6's.

Could I just bump the volume up 1 or 2 notches on the Tempest in my basement setup and relieve the KSW-15 and KSW-100 from their duties or do you think that I just need to spend some time tuning them to the room to match my center C7 and KSP-S6' rears.

Thanks EAR!