Topping PA3s

geezin'

In the end, I think we all recognize that it should be about how the music sounds, not how it is produced. From reading various threads, I've come to realize that there is no one right formula. What trips my trigger might send someone else running for the off switch, and my goal needs to be finding what makes me smile. Just like any art. I like Little Feat, someone else likes Shostakovitch. We're both right...for ourselves.

Sorry...we just went through a couple of hours of sever tornado watch, so I'm feeling particularly philosophical. Of course, the Russell's Reserve might have something to do with that.

Cheers, friends!

3 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I like Little Feat, someone else likes Shostakovitch. We're both right...for ourselves.

Well I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah. Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made ...

Sorry...we just went through a couple of hours of sever tornado watch, so I'm feeling particularly philosophical.

Local weather says it's headed my way next.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Edgar said:
11 hours ago, Edgar said:

I guess in Class A push-pull two runners hold the same baton for the entire race.

I think you already know the answer but here go's for those that may wonder. The baton is transferred but both runners are running as fast as possible when it is passed. would be a better description. The relay race analogy makes it easier for those not electronically inclined to better understand how class A works. 

11 hours ago, CWelsh said:

In the end, I think we all recognize that it should be about how the music sounds, not how it is produced. From reading various threads, I've come to realize that there is no one right formula. What trips my trigger might send someone else running for the off switch, and my goal needs to be finding what makes me smile. Just like any art. I like Little Feat, someone else likes Shostakovitch. We're both right...for ourselves.

Sorry...we just went through a couple of hours of sever tornado watch, so I'm feeling particularly philosophical. Of course, the Russell's Reserve might have something to do with that.

Cheers, friends!

Ears are always the best judge but it does help to understand the different ways of amplification when picking an amplifier. Once you hear a really good class A amplifier you will understand. I do admit bias having a basic electronic understanding leaning to class A. Probably like those that spend large amount of money for a new piece of gear and convince themselves how great it must sound because of it's cost. That and the fact all the other classes of amplification use class A to compare there amplification to. "Our class A/B amplifier sounds as good as class A without all the heat and expense" is a common saying. Class A is the standard others are judged by. Technically for a solid reason.   

One limiting factor of class A amplification is the heat and cost when going over 25 watts. Perfect for our horns but not for all conventional speakers. For an example here is a 100 watt class A amplifier.  https://www.passlabs.com/products/xa100-8-2/  A pair will cost you $21,000 and weigh 99lbs each. You can also cut your heater off in the winter time when playing music. 

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

I think you already know the answer but here go's for those that may wonder. The baton is transferred but both runners are running as fast as possible when it is passed.

Well, the analogy does break down at some point. It is pretty good for visualization, though.

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Ears are always the best judge but it does help to understand the different ways of amplification when picking an amplifier. Once you hear a really good class A amplifier you will understand. I do admit bias having a basic electronic understanding leaning to class A. Probably like those that spend large amount of money for a new piece of gear and convince themselves how great it must sound because of it's cost. That and the fact all the other classes of amplification use class A to compare there amplification to. "Our class A/B amplifier sounds as good as class A without all the heat and expense" is a common saying. Class A is the standard others are judged by. Technically for a solid reason.   

One limiting factor of class A amplification is the heat and cost when going over 25 watts. Perfect for our horns but not for all conventional speakers. For an example here is a 100 watt class A amplifier.  https://www.passlabs.com/products/xa100-8-2/  A pair will cost you $21,000 and weigh 99lbs each. You can also cut your heater off in the winter time when playing music. 

That is a beautiful amplifier. Maybe if I win the lottery. In the meantime, I'm thinking an ACA or two, a nice little tube amp (the Forum Project?), and my sweet $80 Class D amp should satisfy my 69 year old ears for a long time to come. Plus, I should be able to keep close to $20K in my pocket...which I will need for the heat I won't be generating. 😄

2 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

That is a beautiful amplifier. Maybe if I win the lottery. In the meantime, I'm thinking an ACA or two, a nice little tube amp (the Forum Project?), and my sweet $80 Class D amp should satisfy my 69 year old ears for a long time to come. Plus, I should be able to keep close to $20K in my pocket...which I will need for the heat I won't be generating. 😄

I've had half a dozen or so Class A amplifiers over the years and I do think they sound great-- actually switched from my Sunfire amplifier to an Adcom 5800 for a bit as I thought it had a slight edge in sound quality but ultimately I had to let it go as the season was changing and that amp would warm my room a few degrees. Class A to me means big and back-breakingly heavy and very hot but nice sounding for sure.  

• Like 2