Where are Klipsch's THX Ultra2 speakers?

Kain

Hmmm, another one of those "Rasin' Kain" posts?

It will be interesting to see if Klipsch meets the "Ultra 2" specs which would call for a return to dipoles (non-directional, dual out-of-phase sound sprayers for side/surrounds instead of the "bi-pole with a wee woofer" in the innovative WDST technology. It also should be noted that the new THX standard calls for two direct radiating speakers spaced fairly close together for rear effects. And, to meet the full spectrum, the RSW subwoofer line will have to be beefed up to be flat all the way down to 20 Hz. And, then there is the issue of having truly matched mains in the left, center, right positions... which would mean bring in a line of speakers that were more like the Klipschorn/Belle/Klipschorn front that PWK favored rather than the big mains - smaller center choice that most Klipsch series offer.

Of course, the whole "THX Certification" question is somewhat up in the air since 80% of the company was sold to Southeast Asian interests where the "cane" falls not as an inquiry... but as a punishment! Odds makers tend to favor anyone with a willingness to pay will be certified one way or another. It's going to take more than that to hold public confidence in buying speakers under the THX banner.

It will be sad to see Klipsch fall back to out-of-phase side/surrounds and give up the under-2000 Hz directionality... at least in my little corner of the world. But, better centers and better subs are my idea of a good HT. =HornEd

PS: IMHO, BobG prefers to let this Forum rock on at its own pace whenever possible... and tends to jump in with both feet when he believes it to be necessary. On a couple of posts, I have been the landing zone for those big feats... and I have always learned from the experience. Fear not, my Canadian brother, for our administrative Saving Grace abides here in the Forum with us!

Thanks for the refresher photo, Justin. The new THX2 specs call for seven speakers PLUS a subwoofer system that goes down to a flat 20 Hz... and I have yet to see how Klipsch intends to shape its specs for THX approval. As you know, the old KT surrounds and sub that was THX certified but phazed out by Klipsch over five years ago. It will be interesting to see in years to come how many professional movie sound mixers will drift back into the dipole out-of-phase surround morass... and how many keep the multiple direct radiator speaker ambience with full-range directionality that seems to be gaining favor with the majority of non-THX oriented mixers.

I have tried several kettle korn approaches... the biggest drawback is the messy, sticky popper that needs serious cleaning. My last batch of kettle korn was made with granular fructose since it takes less fructose to achieve the sweetness... and, thus, tends to be a bit less sticky... I also use clarrified butter for kettle korn. -HornEd

PS: Where did you get the photo? Beyond the link data, I noticed a shortage of Klipsch logos!

The logo's must be on the grills... Similar to the Heritage systems where the logo was actually not on the front of the speakers.

As far as the corn goes.

I have been doing this.

1 tbsp Olive Oil (obviously not virgin or extra virgin. I am going to experiment with peanut oil for the obvious benefit, super high smoke temp)

1 tbsp vegetable oil

1/4th cup "organic" sugar (not fully processed but not sugar on the raw, seems to melt better?)

1 pinch of salt

The problem comes with the butter. My attempts to put the butter in with the oil has left me with some soggy kernels. However, I think I need to turn up the heat more and fix that problem. however, with the higher heat comes more of a chance of burnt sugar. But since it is a faster cook the sugar has less time to burn. It is a crazy circle!

BTW. I have been using White Birch corn. Does a great job of crunching but so far I have not gotten a big enough kernel to make me extremely pleased.

----------------

On 1/2/2003 7:35:42 PM prodj101 wrote:

the little subwoofer control box thing.
----------------

Wow, that sounds intelligent! LoL! Just playing with you prodj101.

I don't think THAT is a Klipsch product... seems like I have seen it elsewhere, but I am probably wrong haha.

hehe if it was bose it'd be the Bass Module Control Module

*chuckle*

ok i know its not funny... i'm switching from a nocturnal sleeping pattern to a normal people sleeping pattern in the timespan of 24 hours so things seem a lot funnier to me.

and more colorful.

weeeee