H/K 430 arrived today........

heresy2guy

I opened the box marked "SONY" and took the H/k 430 out of it's packing. I will say this, the kid I bought it from packed it very well.

However, after getting it clear of all the surround foam and styo-foam bits, I took a real good look. Man....the thing looked like it came from Fred & LaMont Sanford's establishment!

For starters, there's some residue on the tuner face that won't come off, the case has scratches and stains all over the top (which doesn't seem to want to come off even with warm water and a rag) and the whole thing STINKS to high heaven of cheap cigarette SMOKE!

I took off the top and glanced inside - my God! - dust and crud EVERYWHERE!!!

I blew out the dust i could and then took a mini-vaccum over it. I wiped off the two power transformer things and the 4 round things next to them. There looks to be a big silver aluminium heat sink towards the back and I wiped that off well too.

I sprayed some contact cleaner on the input and speaker jacks. Hell - there were wire bits still in the speakers clips that looked as if they were from the original showroom setup from 25 years ago!

I checked the fuses and they're all the correct size and rating and they're all intact.

I let everything dry and then with the cover still off, hooked up my CD player and my Heresy IIs. I'm using ordinary lamp cord for speaker wires and I still had a tough time crimping it down enough to fit in the spring-loaded clips.

All this while, I'm thinking to myself "What a piece of sh_t! What the hell am I doing listening to people on this board and buying this relic!"

Now, I have about 400 CDs, and as you're probably aware, some tracks on some CDs just sound "right" and clean so I started with (don't laugh now) Paula Abdul's 1991 CD, SPELLBOUND, and listened to RUSH, RUSH.

HOLY SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bass so deep I couldn't believe it - and with the "contour" button switched OFF no less!!!!

I gradually raised the volume to 4, then 5, then 6 and by Lord, the sound was UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Right in my face - loud, CRISSSSSP, clean....EXACTLY the way I like it!

Next I put in (don't laugh again) the Dumb & Dumber soundtrack CD and switched to track #2, NEW AGE GIRL from Deadeye Dick.

PHENOMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!

I threw on AGAIN TONIGHT, from John Mellencamp's 1991 CD Whenever We Wanted and listened - WOW - BASS so damned TIGHT it blew my mind!

The sound gets BETTER the LOUDER you raise the volume! The unit sounds better at the "5" setting then it does at the "2" setting. I really don't know what do say...

I've listened to it at variouos settings and to me, it sounds best with about 90% treble and 85% bass on the tonal settings and NO contour whatsoever.

I have sound exactly the way I like it now - clean, very very TIGHT bass (as opposed to boomy bass) with STRONG midrange and super CRISSSSSSP highs.

I can't believe this thing is only 25w/p/c - it truly amazes me.

I'm SO happy now! I was SO disappointed when I first saw it and when I took it apart but then I listened to it and quite honestly, it blows me away and makes my Heresys SING with window-cracking highs and THUMP with extremely tight, precise bass.

All this for $80 ($60 for the unit and $20 to ship)!

It flat out blows the Technics clear outta the water and in my opinion sounds better then my dead Proton D940.

I'm so happy with the sound and the fact that it costs so little. I want to give a personal thanks to HDBRbuilder, who steered my in this direction and recommended the unit.

I'm sure there are better, more expensive sounding units out there that, when hooked to a pair of Khorns, will make me think my current setup blows but I gotta tell you - if someone wants to get a top-notch "Klipsch" sound for little money, you just can't go wrong buying a used pair of Heresys and this little K/K 430 receiver. As for me, I've had my Heresy IIs for heck...11, 12 years now?, and buying this H/K unit for $80 (which includes shipping) has to be the best audio "bang for your buck" I've ever gotten.

I am, however, concerned about the amount of dust that's still caked onto nearly everything inside the unit and I'm open for suggestions on how to clean it all up. I want this thing to look like new inside, because it sounds so darn good that it would be a shame NOT to clean it up correctly in order to ensure that it'll continue to play for another 25 years. Heck, for all I know, I could find some "missing" sound quality after the whole thing's scrubbed (so to speak) clean.

I'm a VERY happy camper!

Thank you HDBRbuilder! And a thank you to those here on the forum who put their two-cents in on this issue.

Coming here and seeking advice has paid off for me, and I want people to know I'm grateful and want to thank Klipsch for having these forums.

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Rest assured, Andy is going to be very excited to hear these results. It appears to be another happy camper to the extreme. Nice for these things to turn out this way. It's time to have the HK 430 vs EICO vs Scott shootout!

Dean? You around? All you needed to spend was a whopping $80 for sonic nirvana! Aint the ole wife going to be sorry to hear this....heh.

Congratulations yet again.

kh

ps- For God's sake, dont press that there contour button in! You'll blow a gasket!

Kelly,

Lighten up on pour old Dean he's what makes this board worth visiting !!

Heresey2guy

Glad it worked out. I leave well enough alone on the interior of that unit could end up causing more problems than you cure . I bet the amp was used in a garage or shop .

Craig

Heresy2guy,

Toldya! LOL! Now as for the cleaning...you may just want to drop it by a audio equipment shop sometime so that it can get a good PROFESSIONAL cleaning-up inside of it...but don't take it to just ANY shop...take it to a shop that has a great reputation for its work on vintage gear!! You CAN do it yourself, but if you don't have any experience in doing this, it may well be better to let a professional do it!

As for the cranking the tone controls past "flat"...that is your personal choice, but fair warning...that receiver was CONSERVATIVELY rated at just 25WPC...it actually performs closer to 50WPC...and with its twin-powering...it will put out VERY MUCH more than that in transients....some of which CAN and MAY damage your Heresy's tweeter or even the woofer, if you crank those tone controls way past "flat"...fair warning!

Kelly,

Although it makes me happy heresy2guy is happy with it, just as it makes me happy that Justin, Josh, and Rick Tate are happy with THEIRS, It really isn't any news to me how well they sound...especially with Heresys...IMHO...a PERFECT match for them. I have yet to have heard one of these power up a pair of Cornwalls, Belles, LaScalas, or K-horns yet though...and I am looking forward to a report on how well it does with any of these other Heritage speakers....BUT...from MY EXPERIENCE with it and Heresys, I would imagine it would still be a fine listening experience, only BETTER!

Although I am not sure how well it would compare to some of the better tube amps out there, I am sure its performance would easily exceed or would at least hold its own with most ANY S/S, no matter WHAT the cost OR era...and, from my listening experience with at least SOME tube equipment, I think it would hold its own there quite well, too!...maybe not EXCEED the performance, but at least possibly instill a change of opinion toward SOME of the S/S gear around being a WORTHWHILE ALTERNATIVE...even moreso, when the fact is thrown into the "comparison equation" that it is a RECEIVER and NOT a TRIO of S/S separates (comprised of one's best pic for an S/S tuner, one's best pick of an S/S preamp, and one's best pick of an S/S 25 WPC amp)selected for the comparison.

Most people consider an S/S RECEIVER the "dregs at the bottom of the barrel" when even comparing against an S/S trio of separates...much less when comparing to a trio of TUBE separates! But with this little receiver...ALL sections of it are GREAT...maybe not the BEST, but still GREAT! And, when taking that into consideration...it makes its current pricing in the used market, an even BETTER "most bang for the buck" kinda deal!

Time to drop a few bucks and get one "for the wife's college course needs", Kelly...so we can hear YOUR comments!! LOL! I am quite sure it would not live up to any expectations you would have of good TUBE gear, but on the other hand, I am also quite sure it would at least make a believer out of you as to how good this little baby is compared to most ANY other S/S gear around!...no matter WHAT the cost or era!

You know the saying...."Big Surprises Come in Small Packages!" In the case of the H/K 430, it is DEFINITELY the truth!!

I keep my Bass and Treble both at about 60% and contour off. Crispier than a triskit and bassier than a wide mouth!3.gif

We shoud have a HK430 forum now haha.

Congrats!

I paid $20 more but mine was prestine on the inside.

You could bring it to an electronics repair shop and have them clean it up, could not be more than $30 max. Probably more like $15?

Yeah, I'm around.

Sounds like just the ticket. unload all this high priced, overrated B.S., and go with a nifty little receiver and a set of Heresies.

Heresyguy -- get yourself a product called 'krud Kutter' -- it's my secret weapon for cleaning up stuff. Just follow the directions. You can find it most hardware stores.

Wonderful stuff. The front label says: *Non-Toxic* *Biodegradable* *Non-flammable* *Non-abrasive* On the back it says:

"Eye and skin irritant, In case of contact with eyes or skin, flush with water for 15 minutes. If irritation persists, seek medical attention. If swallowed, take large amounts of water. Do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention."

Sounds "non-toxic" to me.9.gif

Damn, Dean! That was funny as a bastard! Heh... I need to try that mess on my own skull.

Andy, when are you sending me your EXTRA one to audition!!??? Yeah, I might as well try one since I also need another tuner in the bedroom. I'll have it on some monitor speakers. The same ones that used to host ye olde HF-81.

kh

Kelly,

The "extra one" is already committed...it will soon be in an office room in the lab at Hope...the one my buddy finally aquired when the majority of the staff went to Indy...and he plans to be listening to it through a pair of Heresys while he does his paperwork. LOL!

Heresy2Guy and Tigerwood,

Below you will find two URL's. Type or cut and paste the one for your model into your browser...don't freak out when one of those "page can't be found" windows comes up...just sit and wait while "Realdownload" pulls the data for the PDF file...then when "RealDownload" shows "100%", you can use Adobe Acrobat Reader to print a copy on your printer....use these to familiarize yourselves, and in case you ever need to have any repairs made on your "new" equipment:

Heresy2Guy, this one is for you:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service Manual/hk430 sm.pdf

Tigerwood, this one is for you:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service Manual/hk630 sm.pdf

Merry Christmas!! LOL!

P.S. The above manuals are NOT the Owner Manuals...they are the much harder to find(normally, unless you happen to be an authorized H/K service center) Technical Manuals(Service Manuals)...going on eBay for much more than just the cost of a few sheets of paper and some of your computer printer's ink!!

Thanks for the manual links guys!

I need to copy down the serial number to register it with H/K...I think they allow you to register a product on their website. Certainly no warranty applies after what, 25 years, but what the heck.

I'll be sure to tell them about my newfound joy with respect to their 25 year old product - lol.

I see an H/K 730 on Ebay...100bucks I think...it looks the same as the 430, but does it sound the same? I think I recall HDBRbuilder saying the 430, even with fewer watts per channel, sounds a bit better then the 730. Either way, makes little difference to me - I'm happy as the proverbial pig in s--t with my little 430.

1.gif

With solid state, the least amount of watts the better. Once transistors are doubled up to gain high output -- crosstalk distortion comes into play. Notice they don't make that a measurable when rating solid state amps. This is probably the main reason the little HK sounds good to you guys. It's probably also discrete, and since it doesn't use IC's -- this helps as well.

Dean,

Like you, I have a good understanding of why lower-powered S/S sounds good...but...then again, there are MANY other lower-powered S/S models that also don't double up their transistors, and also use discrete components...but, still don't hold a candle to the sound from this particular H/K series...there is MUCH MORE to these than JUST what you are speaking of...they don't JUST sound GOOD...they far exceed that!