Forte II's and 57" Hitachi projection TV

racedog

We have a set of Forte II speakers which we've had for awhile and have just purchased an Hitachi 57" projection TV. Because of the size of the tv we have limited ability to design our room around it but we do have one location that would be ideal in terms of sitting, viewing and general room layout but I suspect it may cause insurmountable technical issues.

Our ideal location would have the Forte speakers butted up directly against either side of the projection TV. I'm assuming that these speakerss are unshielded and that this might cause severe picture problems on the television. Am I assuming correctly? If so, is there something that can be done to allow the speakers to sit directly next to the television and to shield the tv from the magnetic interference from the speakers?

MH

Magnetic interference is less of a problem with RPTVs than with direct view sets. You may have no problem at all. To see if there is a problem, turn the set on with the speakers several feet away then move them in towards the set until the picture is affected. That will tell you how close you can put them.

I disagree if anything the problem is worse on RPTV's.

My Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 subwoofer pulled the picture so bad i was afraid it would cause permanent damage, this was with the speakers about 1 feet away.

Get some bucking magnets and shield them. But if you want to try it, see if you get the problem. I did with my 55" MITS HDTV.

Of course, maybe it was just me, maybe it was just this situation, maybe it was just the planetary alignment.9.gif

I have to weigh in on this one. A RPTV is built differently than a normal TV.

It doesn't have the large coils on a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT)that a normal TV has.

You should be able to set the Forte II pretty close to the RPTV, but be sure to "Toe In" the speakers for a better listening area. I would have the Forte IIs flush with the front of the RPTV to avoid the sound bouncing off the side of the TV.

I've got half of your problem. Quartets, which are a little brother to Forte. I don't yet have an RPTV, but I'm thinking about it. The Quartets don't affect the Trinitron which they are fairly close to it.

None the less. My thought is that the CRTs are in the base of the RPTV. Getting the speaker boxes far away from them may obviate the sheilding issue. I'd think that the woofer magnet is the biggest and most likely to cause a problem. Therefore you might try putting the speakers on some sort of riser. A box for shipment of photocopier comes to mind as an experiment. Then put the Forte up side down on the riser so the bass is on top, and most distant from the CRTs.

Let us know what you find.

Gil

First off I want to thank everyone who has responded. I didn't expect this to be such a hot topic! We don't have a lot of space to move speakers out and there are only two real options for placement of the rptv and one of those requires the speakers butted directly up to the sides of the tv and the other will allow us to get them about 1 1/2 feet away from the sides.

In my searching today I have found that there is something out there called "mumetal" shielding material that can be added either to the inside of the speaker or even the outside (except it will wreck the finish). Has anyone ever heard of this stuff, or better, seen it being used? I will probably call Klipsch on Monday to see if they have a solution or can give me some details on mumetal and whether or not it is a real option.

Past that I'm considering upgrading to some newer Klipsch speakers that have the shielding built in but I have no real reason other than the intereference problem. My old forte II's are in excellent condition, have never been abused and not even over heavily used.

I suppose the best upgrade would either be the rf-5's or rf-7's but all things considered I would like to keep what I have.

MH1.gif

It might be more efficient to see if you actually have a problem before looking for ways to fix it.

If you do have a problem, Klipsch offers bucking magnets for many of their speakers that can be used to minimize the stray magnetic fields that interact with the CRTs' deflection circuitry. Klipsch tech support can tell you if they are available for your speakers and which ones to order. In addition to bucking magnets, video shielded speakers also use a high permeability can around the magnet circuit to redirect the stray field. There is no aftermarket source for these.

Mu metal is the trade name for one of a number of high permeability alloys. It is expensive and not easy for an amateur to work with. It would be cheaper to sell your speakers and get good video shielded speakers.

Believe it or not bu mumetal can actually be had for the cheap.

do you understand how it works? i do to some degree, been about 2 years since i was introduced. from what i understand when a electromagnetic type field is forced upon it, it has the ability to create its own field which neutralizes the force acting upon it. this is similar to a bucking magnet except that it will work on any electromagnetic type field.

bucking magnets are easier to install and probably in the end cheaper.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I'm going to just give them a try and see what happens and go from there. I've talked it over with my wife and she already had printed out the various Klipsch products that she thinks we should move up to. Believe it or not I'm the one holding out to keep the old Forte II's, my wife is already set too move up to higher line of new Klipsch speakers.

MH1.gif

No need to get hasty, I have a Belle directly on one side of my Sony 43" HD-RPTV and then it is sitting right on top of a La Scala and I had not had any problems or picture distortions at all. I would not part with your Forte II's, the build quality and sound of those speakers will be hard to match even with Klipsch's newer designs. Chances are you will have no trouble at all with them butted up against the TV. Lets us know first if you are planning to still sell them anyway, as I am sure there are many interested parties here that would take them off your hands. The older Klipsch speakers are truly hard to beat and will last forever and not fall apart, guaranteed not to rust, bust or collect dust.1.gif

2.gif

Ok, called Klipsch yesterday to get some answers and this is the information I received. First try out the Forte's in the placement that I need, that is, with the speakders butted up against the 57" rptv. There is a decent (maybe even a strong) chance that there will be no issues because in an rptv the crt is in the center of the tv box facing rearward and that means that there is the difference of the width of the rptv unit between the speaker and the crt and that means that there is over 2 feet of space between the speaker and the crt. That is why in rtpv's the chances of intereference really goes downn quite a bit and is many cases is not even an issue.

If it turns out that there is still an issue with convergence I can purchase the buckling magnets from Klipsch at $25 each and the issue goes away.

Bottom line is that I get to keep the speakers that I love and to place them where I need to in our space setup with our rptv. What is ironic is that the larger the rptv the less chance of having an issue because the space between the speaker coil and the crt increases. When my wife and I were shopping I only wanted to buy about a 47" widescreen and it was my wife who told me to go for the larger and better grade tv.

MH

I also have Forte II's next to a Hitachi 57" RPTV (the 57SWX20B) MY Forte II's are about 2 ft from the TV (this is the distance from the side of the TV to the side of the speaker. I have had no problems. You can check for interference by watching the TV witht he speakers on and off. I never tried butting them up against the TV.

----------------

On 1/11/2003 2:44:51 PM muleman wrote:

I also have Forte II's next to a Hitachi 57" RPTV (the 57SWX20B) MY Forte II's are about 2 ft from the TV (this is the distance from the side of the TV to the side of the speaker. I have had no problems. You can check for interference by watching the TV witht he speakers on and off. I never tried butting them up against the TV.

----------------

This is the same model that we bought. Because of space considerations it is going to be necessary for our speakers to butt up against the rptv. If there is a problem we will be ordering buckling magnets from Klipsch. Our tv is due to be delivered on January 21 so we'll know then.

MH1.gif