Online Retailers / Authorized Klipsch Dealers

dbb

Hey, gang!

Does anyone have any experience with online Klipsch purchases, or any recommendations for a good online dealer.

I've found some pretty decent prices on the Web, but if you read the Klipsch warranty, the warranty is void if purchased from an unauthorized dealer. Read many of the dealer's return/repair policies, and I find that they say to use the Klipsch warranty. Kind of a catch 22. I don't anticipate any issues, but for the price of the speakers, I'd hate for them to be essentialy without warranty right out of the box, or worse, find that the serial number has been removed, or something.

The problem is, purchasing the speakers I want from an authorized dealer puts them over-budget...

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, the only authorized on-line dealer for Klipsch is Ubid. Everyone else, if they sell over the 'net and ship via a common carrier, would not be an authorized dealer so you are on your own for warranty work. Some of the better ones will cover you, but it's not official factory warranty - they arrange for the repair and pay the cost.

Check their track records - I think some on this board have used www.acousticsounddesign.com and www.sounddistributors.com with success...

DD

Not a very strong complaint, but a concern all the same. acousticsounddesigns sent me a speaker without a Klipsch serial number label on it. They put their own number on with some labelmaker and state that they will honor the Klipsch warranty, but only through their own shop. My other speakers are official, which is a nice feeling of security, but I understand the price issue. The online retailers are a significant savings over Tweeter & company, even with shipping added on.

Originally I was going to buy my whole system from online retailers. But then thinking it over the past few weeks I feel more comfortable buying from an authorized dealer. Yes it will run me much more money, but I also think of it as:

1. I will be supporting my local authorized dealer (only one in the Cincinnati area)

and

2. That gives me 5 years of warranty! Even on unauthorized websites that have cheap prices, if you get their warranty on the web (5 yrs), you are likely within $100 or so from the retail price of Klipsch. With that thought I was sold on getting mine from an authorized local dealer.

The added bonus is the security that if something goes wrong I am not just shipping them to Joe Somebody via UPS but hand-delivering the speakers to a local dealer that I am starting to know and trust!

I have purchased from both authorized and unauthorized dealers (not understanding before I bought).

One thing I have found our is that you can negotiate with dealers. There is a significant mark up and most are willing to make a sale than loose one. I am not saying you can walk out the door with a $1000 speaker for $200 but you can save a decent amount.

Buying from and authorized dealer is comforting but if you are in a pinch and are willing to take a chance on line is the way to go. Chancey and voided warranties there is a risk.

The unauthorized dealer I purchased my speakers from has been good to me and afforded me to own speakers I otherwise would not have been able to purchase.

Klipsch is an awesome speaker and I am happy I made the purchase and have have sold my friends on Klipsch.

----------------

On 1/17/2003 9:02:53 AM lancestorm wrote:

1. I will be supporting my local authorized dealer (only one in the Cincinnati area)

-----------------

Lance, I don't mind supporting those guys in Norwood either but the last time I was there I asked them about the Heritage line and the guy actually got indignant about shelling out that kind of capitol to keep them in stock. He did say that if I wanted to ORDER a pair of Khorns or whatever "Then, maybe we'll talk." Since then I have'nt been too keen on going to them.

I wonder if my buddy Ian Budd at ICB Audio a few blocks away could get a Klipsch account...hhhhmmmmmmm....

How do unauthorized retailers get the products to sell in the first place? Does the factory sell to a distributor, then the distributor sell to retailer? If it is the distributor selling to unauthorized retailers, then it seems to me the factory doesn't care who they sell their own products to. It would be to their advantage if all their products went to unauthorized dealers. Then no warranty on anything. I have seen this topic come up with several manufacturers, and some of them even warn against buying from an unautherized dealer. I'm just curious how they get the merchandise in the first place.

Good day,

Chris Hollis

Chris - It's called the gray market, and it's product that is usually acquired from an authorized dealer for a variety of reasons. That's why the serial numbers are usually replaced with the seller's own serial numbers. They make up a story about it allowing them to provide better service and to validate who they were bought from. I believe in reality it is to protect the authorized distributors.

An authorized distributor (AD) might be in an overstock situation, or cash flow crunch, and have to dump inventory. So, out the back door they go.

Or, an AD might get volume discounts or extra bonuses/factory rebates if they buy X number of speakers from the factory. If they pool the demands of the UAD with their own, they can often qualify for those better prices/rebates which they could not afford to do just on their own purchases.

Yes, it's an odd thing. Manufacturers have to protect their dealer network so that they don't have to fix all the speakers themselves, and they have showrooms to demo them in. But, no doubt about it, they can move a lot more product using both AD and UAD!!

DD