Picking an integrated amp: Cambridge Audio CXA61 or CXA81 with Klipschorns?

Title says is it all. I'm looking for an integrated amp to use for my Klipschorns. I'm leaning heavily toward the Cambridge Audio CXA61 or CXA81 amps and was wondering if I'm really buying anything with the extra money going with the higher end amp. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the wattage though better sound would sway me in one direction. I'm not married to the brand either, the only requirement is getting them on Amazon as I have some credits to use there. I'm actually needing 2 pairs of amps for 4x Klipschorns in the same room (I use them for movies as well as music). I would have to go a bit extra out of pocket to get 2x CXA81 amps, but if it is worth it then I am willing to do so. Klipschorns are 1970s vintage with type AA crossovers.

• Like 1

I have the CXA81 at my rural place pushing a pair of large older JBL monitors. It is an excellent sounding amp with a nice quality dac built in and I would expect it to perform well with a pair of Klipschorns.

I also looked at the CXA61 at the time, in addition to less power the dac in the lower model is not the same (ESS Sabre SE9016K2M in the CXA81 vs ESS Sabre SE9010K2M in the CXA61).

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Schu said:

sounds like a wonderful set up... I dont have any first hand knowledge of cambridge with Klipschorns, but paired together can't be a bad thing.

There are a couple of us that do!

Forget the 61.

Go with the CXA81, my reasoning? The 80w/channel version is a completely different amp due to the way it simplifies/shortens the circuitry of each channel. My CXA80 has separate taps for L and R from the toroidal. That's one of the simplest differences. The dynamics, separation, the soundstage place it on par sonically with amps costing much more. It's a better amp, not simply 20/channel more!

:smile:Used as monos they might have something even greater and better suited for you without going to their $$$ Edge series.

My links for the compelling info from five years ago are gone. Search for reviews that aren't fluffy flattery, that have relevant acoustic and electronic info. If you want the 'headroom" that those Klipschorns could use anytime in the future. I'm talking about the transient peaks of the music that momentarily need more power.

*ENJOY! 

@archdukeobvious

Edited by JohnJ
* aren't following so I put your handle up!
  • Like 2

This is all excellent information and was very helpful! I have been swayed I'm the direction of the CXA81.

I run a LaScala as the center for this setup for movies and TV (unused for music/ 2 channel so no worries there). Would one of the lesser Cambridge Audio amps sound out of place paired with the CXA81s on the Klipschorns? I have an AZUR 840A with a run away volume issue I plan fixing or would a Cambridge Audio AXA35 suffice for this center channel task? Sorry in advance if this follow up question is out of place in the 2 channel subforum.

Edited by archdukeobvious
  • Like 1

If it were me? I'd get that 840A working right, that's a premium quality component of theirs! The AXA isn't.

@archdukeobvious

Can I ask why you want to use separate integrated amps for each channel?

Bi-wiring? I do that with my single set of speakers A for highs B for lows.

Might be more cost efficient to get specific monos.

30 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

If it were me? I'd get that 840A working right, that's a premium quality component of theirs! The AXA isn't.

@archdukeobvious

Can I ask why you want to use separate integrated amps for each channel?

Bi-wiring? I do that with my single set of speakers A for highs B for lows.

Might be more cost efficient to get specific monos.

Ah, I think I miscommunicated. I have 4 Klipschorns and one LaScala in that room so it will be one channel per speaker (2 channels for each CXA81 and wherever ends up driving the LaScala). If there's a more suited mono amp you would suggest, my Cornwalls in the other room could take up the 840A once that's working right.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, archdukeobvious said:

Ah, I think I miscommunicated. I have 4 Klipschorns and one LaScala in that room so it will be one channel per speaker (2 channels for each CXA81 and wherever ends up driving the LaScala). If there's a more suited mono amp you would suggest, my Cornwalls in the other room could take up the 840A once that's working right.

Thanks, but... think I mis-read.

Four of those big-bad-boy Khorns!

Let me start over.

Get another 840A and have a rock show in your neighborhood! You could start out with that single one when it runs correctly.

There was one for sale here within the last year I believe.

9 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

Title says is it all. I'm looking for an integrated amp to use for my Klipschorns. I'm leaning heavily toward the Cambridge Audio CXA61 or CXA81 amps and was wondering if I'm really buying anything with the extra money going with the higher end amp. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the wattage though better sound would sway me in one direction. I'm not married to the brand either, the only requirement is getting them on Amazon as I have some credits to use there. I'm actually needing 2 pairs of amps for 4x Klipschorns in the same room (I use them for movies as well as music). I would have to go a bit extra out of pocket to get 2x CXA81 amps, but if it is worth it then I am willing to do so. Klipschorns are 1970s vintage with type AA crossovers.

the Rotel  Michi  X3   350 wpc   integrated amp   /preamp   would blow away  the Cambridge   ,  the higher end Michi series was recently the matchup with the Heritage Jubilee  . 

https://www.rotel.com/product/x3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

the Rotel  Michi  X3   350 wpc   integrated amp   /preamp   would blow away  the Cambridge   ,  the higher end Michi series was recently the matchup with the Heritage Jubilee  . 

https://www.rotel.com/product/x3

That is way beyond what I had planned or have the resources for. Am I making a mistake trying to pull double duty with music and movies with the CXA81 amps? What would be the minimum watts in your opinion to drive Klipschorns for movies? I'm currently using an old Denon AVR-X2000 (150 Watts per channel) which seems to work okay for movies but lack luster for music. I've also tried a Pioneer SC-95 (135 WPC) that sounded pretty good with them, but that's currently deployed to my at RF7-II based system with Atmos. I eventually want to make the Klipschorns be the primary home theater speakers, but that will require a house with more room (not a near term goal). I was hoping to repurpose those amps for that goal when the time comes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

That is way beyond what I had planned or have the resources for. Am I making a mistake trying to pull double duty with music and movies with the CXA81 amps? What would be the minimum watts in your opinion to drive Klipschorns for movies? I'm currently using an old Denon AVR-X2000 (150 Watts per channel) which seems to work okay for movies but lack luster for music.

movies need a single  multi-channel  amplifier with  at least 200 wpc  nowadays + THX movies have  sound effects    ,  your Denon is 150 wpc ,so this  is the perfect example ........you should have  150 wpc as a bare minimum  .

39 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

80w can sure make LaScalas sing, so I'd think you're ok!

Yours are some of the ones that go full 20-20K aren't they?

Not sure, they're the old beat up ones I posted here. Are you saying the CXA81s should be moved over to the LaScalas when I'm ready for the full home theater setup and get something more powerful for the Klipschorns (possibly the 840As) then? Most of the home theatering is done by the RF7-IIs at the moment so the Klipschorns can be kept at lower volume for non-music in the mean time

Edited by archdukeobvious
  • Haha 1

Nope, I've heard 1990 LaScalas with 120wpc with the dial at 11:00 a few years ago. I'm guesstimating that's around 80wpc. Since Khorns were the cream of the crop for decades I'm thinking their sensitivity was better than the LS.

Have fun with `em Capt'n Obvious! :smile:

7 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

What would be the minimum watts in your opinion to drive Klipschorns for movies?

I have 150 watts per channel (real watts, from separate power amps, not the exaggerated power ratings given to some receivers) into Klipschorns, with a Belle Klipsch center.  

• IMO you should use a good subwoofer with the Khorns set for "small" (as weird as that may seem).  I've tried many crossover points, and settled on 60 Hz as the cleanest and most beautiful.
  • Our room is 4,257 cubic feet, and the speakers are 13 feet from the main listening position.  To get THX's peak of 105 dB (above the crossover to the sub) at the MLP, we need about 10 watts per channel.  To get the THX required 115 dB from the sub, I hope the 650 watt continuous amp in the sub, with dynamic power of 2,400 watts is enough.  I think it is, because we haven't blown it in 11 years, and I don't hear it clipping.  As a precaution, and for clean response, we set the LPF for LFE at 80 Hz, rather than at the usual 120 Hz.  It still shakes the room, couch, desk, etc.  Now, if instead of using the THX peak of 105 dB through each Klipschorn (and through the Belle center) we decided we wanted instantaneous peaks at 115 dB, like might be available from a 100 piece orchestra, up close, we would need about 130 watts per channel.  Those peaks would have to be truly instantaneous to be safe.

14 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

Should I be looking at something like the Marantz MM8077? It's 150W per channel, gives me room for 2 more channels (I'll eventually want 7 total), it's roughly in the same price range as 2 CXA81s, and it's available on Amazon. 

Yes.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 10:10 PM, garyrc said:

IMO you should use a good subwoofer with the Khorns set for "small" (as weird as that may seem).  I've tried many crossover points, and settled on 60 Hz as the cleanest and most beautiful.

I do have a R-115SW that's pulling the low frequency duty in the home theater, perhaps I should move that into the Klipschorn room.