Question for any K-horn owners about false wall/reflector panel

formanj

I just purchased 2015 Klipschorn AK5s, but my listening room has partial corners (one side wall ends with an entryway to another room, and the other ends with a floor to ceiling window).  I would like to rig up two "reflector panels" that are 4 foot long to "act" as the sidewalls.  Both sidewalls are currently 2 feet, but my plan is to screw a panel into the sidewall corner studs to create 4 foot sidewalls to better accommodate the speakers.  I can only extend the panel 4 feet before it would interfere with my patio door opening on the right side.

My questions are:

1. Would this idea work?

2. What material should I use (MDF/plywood)?

3. How could I make this look presentable (finishing the panels)

I would like to keep this as simple as possible, and my wife is against any lasting modifications to the room.  I figured a few screw holes in the drywall could be patched up and repainted.  I am unsure if this panel idea would make a discernible difference, but I would like to try a simple and cheap approach to find out.  Thanks for any information or opinion shared!

I would think the walls of the artificial corners should be as firm as possible.

I've heard of people considering filling them with sand (between the studs), like Wharfedale once did with one of their speaker enclosures.

Klipschorn False Corner Dimensions - 2-Channel Home Audio - The Klipsch  Audio Community

15 hours ago, formanj said:

I would like to keep this as simple as possible, and my wife is against any lasting modifications to the room.  I figured a few screw holes in the drywall could be patched up and repainted.

Solid core door slabs are very good for this. Search on Craigslist or similar for used commercial door panels. You may be able to find some with a nice finish. They are heavy, so you may want to saw them down to 52" tall. Use the hinges to attach onto your wall, screwed into a solid wall stud. 

16 hours ago, formanj said:

My questions are:

1. Would this idea work?

I would like to keep this as simple as possible, and my wife is against any lasting modifications to the room.  I figured a few screw holes in the drywall could be patched up and repainted.  I am unsure if this panel idea would make a discernible difference, but I would like to try a simple and cheap approach to find out.  Thanks for any information or opinion shared!

I would go to home depot and get a couple sheets of baltic birch or maple plywood they can cut them down for you to proper height either stain them to match the Khorns or paint them same color as your walls should be fairly simple and only cost you $200 you can kind of wedge them in place without making any holes to see if you can hear a difference or not, get a feel for how its going to look, worth a shot I'd say without proper bass they don't sound that good to me honestly. Post some pictures of your room / speakers if you could would be interesting to see what you're dealing with and congrats on the new K-horns!

you can source gatorboard locally in your region I am sure... if you live in or around a major metropolitan area.

I was able to get it locally for a few hundred dollars... if memory serves, less than 300. the biggest thing for me was that I could easily move it in and out of position to save on space and to protect the faces of the speakers against overzealous canines when not in use. I could also easily have them custom cut to my specifications without having to deal with 'rough cuts' from a local lumber yard.

52088027214_8d38427407_h.jpg

I think the most important part is the reflective surface for more efficient transfer of LF's... i would venture to guess that the surface hardness of the gatorboard is superior to that of any wood or drywall. the surface is completely nonporous.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Schu said:

you can source gatorboard locally in your region I was able to get it locally for a few hundred dollars... if memory serves, less than 300. the biggest thing for me was that I could easily move it in and out of position to save on space and to protect the faces of the speakers I think the most important part is the reflective surface for more efficient transfer of LF's... i would venture to guess that the surface hardness of the gatorboard is superior to that of any wood or drywall. the surface is completely nonporous.

Man I bet Judge Judy sounds pretty awesome in there! 😆

If the material could be sourced for close to or just a bit above plywood I would probably give it a try more out of convenience ease of moving it more than anything not sure there would be any notable improvement in function reflectivity over plywood but i could be wrong I guess

• Haha 1