Maybe You Have A Juicy Question?

On 1/9/2024 at 5:45 PM, NOSValves said:

Mark,

Good to see you are strolling in here now and then! I have a blast from the past piece of Paragon System E documentation (User Manual, Service bulletin on balance control with instructions, hand drawn grounding scheme diagram and full Schematic) I bet you'd love to look over and forward to people that might contact you about the System E. I swear the hand drawn and written pages is your hand writing.  Shoot me an email with your current email and I'll send it back to you.  craig@nosvalves.com

Craig

Hi Craig,

I just saw this. I haven't been checking much lately as the traffic slowed to a crawl.

Yeah, System E docs would be cool to have. Just send them to aroadrunner@protonmail.com. 

I would guess that i drew them, but I haven't seen those things in 50 years!  
I get a Paragon question about once a year now. Not many left in service i think. 

How's life treating you, Craig? Still doing it? 🙂

On 1/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, Deang said:

Before the invention of the printing press. 

I did rent an IBM Selectric typewriter though. At that time it was almost as expensive as our Sound Technology Distortion Analyzer. 

I had young tech who was building IMSAI computers and told him no one would ever care for their own computer. That's how dumb I was.

I had a friend/boss who had an S-100 system. He had used it to keep his inventory so he could access it over a painfully slow modem whe he was on the road.

He hadn't used it for a while and want to get it running again, mostly for nostalgi's sake.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hi Craig,

I just saw this. I haven't been checking much lately as the traffic slowed to a crawl.

Yeah, System E docs would be cool to have. Just send them to aroadrunner@protonmail.com. 

I would guess that i drew them, but I haven't seen those things in 50 years!  
I get a Paragon question about once a year now. Not many left in service i think. 

How's life treating you, Craig? Still doing it? 🙂

Mark, Good to see you posting! Check your email again about the B-100 bet you wished you stored a dozen of those away LOL. I'm semi-retired. I just do a project or two a month to make mad money. I also service any gear I rebuilt or built in the past but not much seems to happen with any of that stuff. 

Cheers Craig

47 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Mark, Good to see you posting! Check your email again about the B-100 bet you wished you stored a dozen of those away LOL. I'm semi-retired. I just do a project or two a month to make mad money. I also service any gear I rebuilt or built in the past but not much seems to happen with any of that stuff. 

Cheers Craig

OMG! That thing looks mint. And, he says it's working! I can't imagine how he came up with that price. I'm floored.

I think I'll contact him to see where he got it. Should be fun! 
How DO you find this stuff Craig?

cheers!

5 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Well the only skeleton that hasn't come out of the closet now is the Paragon Model 10 which is to preamps what a Rat Rod is to a Foose hot rod.

We may be out of luck with the Model 10, I've never heard a mention of one. I've had a lot of contact over the years about the 12 and E. So, are you saying the 10 is a raw beast while the 12 is more refined?

11 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

We may be out of luck with the Model 10, I've never heard a mention of one. I've had a lot of contact over the years about the 12 and E. So, are you saying the 10 is a raw beast while the 12 is more refined?

Yeah, really raw beast! Like hand made sheet metal and P2P kind of beast. Somehow we made 100 of them! If I described how we made them you'd split a gut. 
But the 10 was what got the Cream of the Crop cover story in Sound Advice magazine. A week after that review came out I had HUNDREDS of letters/orders from around the globe--asia, europe, japan, etc. Only TWO units existed, and one was at the magazine! If I had been smart, I would have called the magazine and said, "Hey, it was just a prank."

Cheers

• Haha 1

K1 or K2 have less negative FB? I believe on my K2s it is selectable. 26dB gain or 1.4v for full output which is even more gain. My D75s are 26 dB gain. Also I think Mark turned down the gain on the "Duke".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, babadono said:

Just one easily searchable example that gain and feedback have an intimate relationship.

Add feedback lose gain.... and of course the reverse. Definitely one of the reactions to that action. 

49 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Add feedback lose closed loop gain, G.... and of course the reverse. Definitely one of the reactions to that action. 

Fixed it fer ya. And closed loop gain is the figure that is always spec'd by manufacturers of Audio Amps as "gain".

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Fixed it fer ya. And closed loop gain is the figure that is always spec'd by manufacturers of Audio Amps as "gain".

That is a completely different spec. don't confuse it with "input sensitivity" is a real world specification. 

I seriously don't know why this is going on and on... 

Cuz it is a fun debate and I like to learn stuff. This is not how the old forum was?

re. input sensitivity..... that is the specification of how much signal at the input will drive the amp to its full unclipped/undistorted output? One can figure the "gain"(closed loop) from that I think.