dvd player opinions

mopar dave

i have been shopping ebay for a dvd player or changer. i need something to compliment the rest of my system. cornwalls up front, heresy's rear, heresy center and a ksw15 with a natural sound rx v2092 yamaha receiver. i would like to stay with yamaha but, i heard the audio is alittle bright. i dont need any more brightness with the klipsch speakers. the models i'm looking at are onkyo, integra, denon and yamaha. i heard the denon has a warm sound,dont know. i had a denon cd changer in the past and was happy with it. i also heard the onkyo had a warm sound. i'm looking for something with a nice warm sound that will make these klipsch shine. my budget is $300. any input would be deeply appreciated. also i will be listening to cd's primarily, with a movie now and then. dave1.gif

Seems like you are asking for DVD player recommendations with a heavy focus on their standard music CD play back capabilities. Most of the DVD player perceptions are based on their video quality & audio playback formats (ie SACD, DVDA) so you'll probably need to read the reviews closely to pull that info.

I have the same speakers system but with an Outlaw 1050. I've thought about the following but mostly for DVD picture quality:

* The Panasonic rp82 is a hot DVD player under $300 -no chroma bug

* Denon has a model at $300 that is highly recommended

* Sony has one with SACD but probably not as good a video at $300

The most recommended CD player on this board appears to be the REGA Planet but you'll still need a DVD player for video. Many prefer having one system and room for music and another for movies. The AVS Forum and Hometheaterspot sites have a lot of DVD comments and references to reviews but they are heavy on the picture quality and for sound SACD and DVD/A are getting most of the ink on these sites....but the CD data is there, too.

I think you also will want to experiment with using your receiver for the D/A conversion vs using your media player. I currently favor a digital connection from my cheap Toshiba DVD to my Outlaw which then uses the outlaw for D/A but with a better medial player that may not be the case.

When I was putting my HT rig together, I did a lot of research on this board ... It seemed at the time the two most popular front-runners were Outlaw and Denon. I went with the Denon and didn't have the opportunity to audition the Outlaw; a buddy has an Onkyo and it sounds good with his Cornwalls, but I have to say it was indeed a lot brighter than the Denon. It was set-up in a big room with hardwood floors and high ceilings, so the room could have been the culprit.

The Denon, to me at least, sounds very warm and smooth ... nothing shrill or edgy at all. We watch DVD's mostly, but when the house is empty, I'll put on DTS concerts (SRV, Steely Dan, Josh Groban, Diana Krall (Paris)) and crank it up ... the sound is wonderful, filled in, and definitely a front-row seat! It pales a bit to the 2-channel setup in the room at the other end of the house, but they are two entirely different objectives and beasts altogether.

The Toshiba DVD is a 2-shooter which is a nice feature ... It's an inexpensive player but has a great sound for music. I'm not sure if it's still available but I got it off Ubid a few years ago for <$200 new, warranty included.

well, first off i'm new to ht. can you tell me what dvd-a is? i'm looking for a dvd player that has excellent cd play back. i would like quality play back on movies as well but, thats secondary. excellent cd play back quality is my number one concern with the klipsch speakers. comparing specs. and reading audio review, i think it will be denon or yamaha. what i have read at this point, the yamaha has the better picture, and the denon has the better sound. i hate going to the audio store and comparing equipment knowing i'm not buying anything there, and wasting the salesmens time. if anyone else has used the denon or yamaha dvd with klipsch let me know. thanks again dave1.gif

thanks for clarifying. DVD-A is an audio encoding/authoring standard that is competing with SACD for the marketplace. I wanted to assure you were looking for CD playing and movie watching versus using a DVD player for audio listening...now I get it. Frankly I think amplification normally will have more of a role in what sound you will get than the player. I see that with those speakers you will be concerned about not being too "hot" on top. Does the system sound too hot now with your yamaha reciever? Yamaha and denon are mentioned as "smooth" but in the DVD realm it is less clearcut. The sound from most DVD implementations is rather flavorless in my experience. please advise about the sound from your amplification first. sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure what you've got before recommending. I, for example, have an NAD reciever for my HT, which tends to have a very smooth, relaxed presentation. thus, I did not worry too much about flavoring from my source, which is a Sony DVP-CX870D 300+1 dvd player. (some b-board members will laugh at that but it has a good DAC and gives me 300 disks without loading and unloading)...regards, tony

yes, my yamaha 2092 does sound a little hot in the mid but the bass in well controled, very rich. i blamed the brightness on the mid drivers but, maybe the yamaha is to blame. anyway, i'm looking at a used high end player on ebay. the models i'm now looking at are the denon dvd 1600,3800 and yamaha 920, 6480. i do not have a hdtv but, i will in the next five years or so when the prices come down. i think picture quality out of either of the units would be plenty good enough. i have been told the denon's have a warm sound but, i have'nt been told that about yamaha. what i understand is that it wont matter what brand because my amp determins the sound. later dave1.gif

I would not say the DVP will have NO effect on the sound, but it will have much less effect than the amplification. Denon, NAD, Rotel and strangely enough Yamaha are often mentioned as making warmer, softer sounding components. If swapping out amps is out of the question than I think you should go with the Denon, no question about quality there. regards, tony

I'd recommend the player I just got from Onecall.com. It's a Panasonic CP72, very similar to the RP82, but with a 5-disc carousel, and an optical digital output (no coax). Panasonic currently offers a $30 rebate on changers:

http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/dvd_players/prmo_dvd_changer.asp

It has DVD-A, too! A phenomenal picture, and great sound. Before rebate, mine was $224, plus shipping. The silver model was $208.

fini

Holy mackerel, fini! I was looking at the same Panasonic stuff tonight at Fry's in north Phx. I was looking at the cv52, a changer with 192/24 DAC/whatever. I notice that on the box it specifically mentions the 192/24 deal but in conjunction with the DVD playback. It doesn't say anywhere that the 192/24 deal works on CD playback. I couldn't see any actual specs or the manual. What do you think? That thing was only 169 and had a $30 rebate, which I've learned not to get real excited about. Do you think yours is running the CD playback through the 192/24 DAC? Wish I could see a wiring diagram or something. I really want a quality CD/DVD changer with remote.

Tom

i have always liked denon but, after reading audioreview.com it looks like denon has more reliabilty issues than yamaha does. the yamaha specs. are alittle better than denon and the yamaha prices are more affordable. i have narrowed my choice down to two units denon 3800 and yamaha 920. as for my yamaha receiver, i would have bought a denon but, i found the yamaha on ebay for $75 doa. i invested $250 in it for repairs and its been a pretty good piece. thanks for all the info guys. dave1.gif

News Flash......

If you buy a player with only a digital optical out you are dependent upon the DAC in the Receiver/preamp--and not the dac in the player.

This regime makes very good sense because there should be only one DAC in the chain. This should occur just before final amplification.IMHO.

Cornwaller

First of all, I want to say I'm guilty of skimming the responses. I think I'm getting lazy. I don't know if there is a price range or a preference for not buying used gear. I recommend the Sony DVP-S9000ES. Superb dvd, cd, and SACD playback (two channel SACD). I got one based on Deans reviews and have not looked back. Used on Audiogon at about 600 - 650.

• 13 years later...

I'll need to check to see when I get home. I'm out of town now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did you notice this thread was over 13 years old :D

It seems like this is happening more and more these days. :unsure:;)    Me included. :o  ;)  :D 

Bill