Big A$$ Subwoofers in LV

tigerwoodKhorns

15 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

come on now, you expect me to read the ad???

18" woofer from 37 to 600 hz, wouldn't a 15" be better because it would move faster?

In a home listening situation, that would be true, but those bass speakers appear to be designed for use in really large rooms, where they have to move lots of air in order to project their sound all the way across a big room full of people.  Accordingly, the 18” drivers are what’s called for.

As for the bottom end being limited to 37 Hz, a Forum member (who was a pro sound guy) years ago stated that really deep bass is to be avoided in a club situation or the like, because  it just muddies up the sound in the higher bass frequencies, likely because of interactions with the room that the DJ can’t control.  Anyway, the 40-80 Hz octave provides much of the driving/pounding/thumping beat that the dancing customers like so much, so the octave below that isn’t missed, plus it takes a lot of amplifier power to produce, so the DJ/sound guy doesn’t miss it either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

A speaker that only goes down to 37 Hz (-10dB) is a woofer, not a subwoofer.

Depends on where used. You would have to boost below the horn part to do HT for sure. Plus for that much cabinet volume and less money, you could build a Fitzmaurice TUBA that would take care of 20 Hz. when needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Edgar said:

A speaker that only goes down to 37 Hz (-10dB) is a woofer, not a subwoofer.

They had one of those in a bar I used to go to a lot years back not sure if it was that model exactly but it was a cerwin vega and looked very similar-- when they turned up the music I swear you could feel the bass from that thing 80 feet away it was quite impressive at the time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jjptkd said:

They had one of those in a bar I used to go to a lot years back not sure if it was that model exactly but it was a cerwin vega and looked very similar-- when they turned up the music I swear you could feel the bass from that thing 80 feet away it was quite impressive at the time.

No surprise there. When you horn load flat to 40 Hz. or so, with an 18" driver with strong motor, you can shake things up a bit, even far away. Even for PA use, it's always been horns vs. bass reflex or a combination of the two. Getting down to 20 Hz. however requires 4X the output. Since bass horns can rarely give you no more than 2 Octaves, acoustically, without EQ, you gotta choose your bandwidth and cabinet volume. Hoffman's Law applies to horns too!

• Like 1