DAW (Digital Audio Workstations) and more

Marvel

@RealMarkDeneen

First up, how this got started...

Started learning guitar in the mid 1960s, and somewhere along the line, before the '70s arrived I got a Sony portable 1/4 track stereo recorder. It was only a 2 head recorder but you could record the left or right channels independently, which meantdoingadditional parts. I still have a tape my best friend and I made back then.

About 1972, I got a Teac TCA42 series. It was a 4 track with sync  so you could record 4 tracks one or more at a time and mix them down. More fun! It only handled 7 inch reels max. That was still a fun deck as well. The pic. Which isn't mine, shows a transport without the sync switches on the headstack panel.

Moved to Memphis in '72, and was working at WHBQ-TV as a news photographer (pre eng news gathering... used 16mm film). Got another Teac, a 3340S, a 4 track with sync that would handle 10 inch reels. Now we're talkin'! DAWs aren't around yet... I still have the 3340... 

Vintage-Professional-Teac-TCA-42-SIMUL-TRAK-Reel-t.jpg

• Like 5

• Marvel changed the title to DAW (Digital Audio Workstations) and more

This was taken in the summer of '77, while on vacation in northern Wisconsin. My older son Josh (Invidiosulus) posted this on another thread and got MD's curiosity going. This was about the time his mom and I were getting back together. We had divorced the previous year, but got back together and remarried. That's a pretty long story in and of itself.  The three awesome kids came after we got back together.

I've got the tape from this trip... need to use the DAW to get it transferred and mixed. I know I recorded 'Wasting away in Margaritaville' and a Tom T. Hall song, 'Pamela Brown.' Can't remember the rest off the top of my head. Still have the Guild... and... well, all of it. The Teac and the two EV RE16 microphones.

IMG_1189.jpg

• Like 1

We lived in Memphis at the time,where I worked at WHBQ TV as a news photographer. Earlier I had  played lap steel/slide guitar with former grads of Southwestern at Memphis (now Rhodes College). The were headed by Rob Junglas, who still perfoms in Memphis. I may have tape of a couple of that time but all we had was some stupid thin half mil tape, which would stretch just looking at it.

I DO have a cut of one song we recorded in Jackson, MS, where we all backed a friend on Rob's. 

• Like 1

My first 'digital recording device', an Alesis ADAT, an 8 track 20bit, 44.1/48kHz recorder that used helical scan recording. It used a more industrial vhs style cassette.

Underneath the ADAT is a Tascam DAT recorder.

20221012_211957~3.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Marvel   Awaiting more details:  What year for and cost for the Alesis and Tascam DAT ?  Did they get much use ?  When did things get hard (disk) ?  When if did the quality or techniques improve ?

My limited take is recording used to be a specialized niche and required a lot of expense and equipment.  Then one day it didn't and anyone could make good quality multi-tracks on their laptop.

Distribution likewise transformed greatly from single cassettes to cheap CD duplicates (both required significant effort and expense) to the youTube (instaneous and free).

Soon...

It was an ADAT-XT20, which would record 20bit instead of 16 and had a driect drive instead of belt as the the original had.  Can't remember exactly when I got it and the Tascam DA-30MkII DAT recorder. I loved what was to me a huge jump in audio quality. What I used it for is probably on three or four tapes, so not very cost effective.

Low priced daw software showed up and I was mostly using it for myself. A regular full time job and family kept me from really making use of the gear. That and my own laziness.

Can't remember exactly when I got the ADAT, but probably early 2000s. My older son or daughter would know the time frame.

Up next... a transfer of a 4 four track rtr to the computer, to mix and archive. Today I got the newest ver. of Harrison's Mixbus 32C installed on one of my laptops. It should be able to handle four tracks of simple acoustic guitar and dobro.

• Like 2