PC question mixed with a thumb drive (Error 0x800701B1)

Coytee

Making a road trip.  Looking to copy some tunes onto my thumb drive so I can put into car.

I have a large drive, had to reformat it to FAT32 to make it work.  Worked fine.  Pulled it out to add some tunes to it and everything has 'hit the fan'.  As backup, I pulled thumb out of car, went to update Ipod.....and the REST of the stuff, hit the fan.

So, long story short, I want to copy roughly 93 gigs onto thumb.  I'm getting an error.  0x800701B1.  Prior to getting this error, the "copy box" shows with the line that rises/falls as the data moves but what I notice is the line (transfer rate I think) starts high....goes down.....then down.....then down to zero, every time.  I know before it would go both up and down.

Thinking I had corrupted the thumb, had the wife buy me a preformatted (FAT32 so the car evidently reads it)  smaller one today.  I get the same issue.

I'd really like to get this figured out so I don't have dead silence or weak radio stations as I hit the road.

Anyone know about this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Invidiosulus said:

Doesn’t Fat32 only support a maximum of 32GB partition limit and a 4GB individual file limit?

Files limited to 4gb or smaller, but supports up to 16tb partitions. Windows limits fat32 to 2tb partitions artificially, but is supported from xp to win10 at that size. Maybe try a different usb port @Coytee? If you're going through a hub, try connecting directly to the pc. Try a different computer all together.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Does it need exFAT or ntfs to work in the car?

Bet $ your son knows the scoop!

lol, too funny.  My understanding is the car needs FAT32 (but to be fair, don't think I've ever tried xfat.

My son.....  is worthless, clueless.....  oh yeah, I don't have a son (nor daughter)

• Confused 1

I've put it on a port on the front and the rear.  This is only PC I have.  What's interesting is, I have a 512 gig thumb drive, I got it working (a year ago) and brought it in to add some files to it....and now, blammo, nothing but issues.

Now, I think I've killed all the existing data on the thumb drive so, sent wife to get a smaller drive that is 128 gig in size.

I've been tinkering around with dos commands (Admin Command Prompt / DiskPart) but it's been since  Windows 3.1 that I've tinkered with DOS commands....  Can't even recall how to create a Volume (barely got a partition created, presuming I did it correctly)

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

lol, too funny.  My understanding is the car needs FAT32 (but to be fair, don't think I've ever tried xfat.

My son.....  is worthless, clueless.....  oh yeah, I don't have a son (nor daughter)

OH crap

I've done it now.

At least you are in TN, even if you have a picture of Poof (Grandparents Collie when I was in the single digits) in your avatar.

I was confusing you with the other gentleman from TN... and the person I spoke of did comment:rolleyes:

Could be an apple thing too, I've never dealt with them except the first one in `82... long forgotten.

Lowest (compatibility) common denominator needs to be found.

I might have figured it out.

After chasing my tail for two days (good thing I'm not paying by the hour for this fix!)

The errors I was getting seemed to indicate the "sending" drive (I also have an external which is what I was using) was the issue....  got to thinking about changing ports and I've changed my thumbs into ALL different ports.....but never the sending drive.

The outboard drive is connected to the back of my monitor which then, is connected to the back of the laptop.  Changed it to the front port on the PC and gave it a try.

Instead of the speed petering out, it slowed down.....then inhaled and jumped back up again.  It did NOT do this before so I'm hopeful this was my issue.  Went to reformat one of my thumbs to FAT32 and that's where it is now.  Stupid me didn't put the quick format switch on so it's taking forever.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The outboard drive is connected to the back of my monitor which then, is connected to the back of the laptop.  Changed it to the front port on the PC and gave it a try.

This is the crucial bit of the problem. I assumed the music was on an internal drive. You should be good to go now, for sure.

Not fully out of the woods yet....  I couldn't get the thumb to quick/format so it's taking forever to do a straight up format.  (just now at 8% and I started before my prior post)

I've also gotten one of my Ipods to also react so it seems things are happening but at a snails pace.  Won't know for sure until I get something on the thumb then the big test....  in the car.

Right now, looks like my parking brake is off and these wheels are at least turning.

Hours later, it "finished".....except it didn't.  I got an error message.

0 percent completed

The volume size is too big

Can someone say, in a step by step fashion, how to fix that AND, if you can.....how to do a quick format?

I've tried format fs=Fat32 quick (and) [quick] (and, what I believe was the old way)  /q

Not sure if I did /quick

Sure takes a long time otherwise.

I DID however, get the Ipod synching correctly so I have a plan "B".  The Ipod however, was wonky the other day and would stop playing & die on me so something is goofy there too.  I'm willing to give it the ole, college try.... but won't be the end of me if I can't get it sorted out.

You guys have too much time on your hands  lol.

I'm a stubborn type who gets focused and "will win" the fight....  at perhaps the cost of losing the war.

I was focused on getting this thumb drive reformatted to FAT32, then I messed up the partition, the volume was messed up.  I couldn't figure out how to get the volume corrected.  Nothing I was trying worked (I DID however, get reacquainted with may old DOS commands and discovered the "Powershell" program!)

Anyway, went to Gatlinburg to have lunch with a life long friend....and on way home, stopped at store and bought another thumb drive that was already formatted to correct size and FAT32.

Now that I know the outboard disk being plugged into my monitor was the issue, this should work like a charm.  If not, I'll take my Ipod with me and try to use it (it freaks out and dies sometimes when used in car but NEVER does it when used while mowing, only in car)

I was leaving for Beaufort SC the next day so I had one shot to copy audio files and try cold turkey in morning to see if it worked.

Worked like a charm so my problem is fixed and I now have two unused thumb drives that I'll reformat to EXfat or NTSB (or whatever the new format is)

For $10, I can just throw the recently bought drive away....but I won't.